Apple warns users not to leave iPhones in car - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Apple warns users not to leave iPhones in car

With the release of the 3G S, quite a few have been complaining of super hot iPhone's and battery problems.

Apple appears to be pointing the blame at users who operate their phones outside of acceptable operating conditions.

From Keeping iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS within acceptable operating temperatures on the Apple knowledgebase.

Quote:
Operate iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS in a place where the temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might temporarily shorten battery life or cause the device to temporarily stop working properly.

Store iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS in a place where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

If the interior temperature of the device exceeds normal operating temperatures, you may experience the following as it attempts to regulate its temperature:
  • The device stops charging
  • Display dims
  • Weak cellular signal
  • Temperature warning screen appears with the message "iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it" (see image below)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-07-02, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

If you are not careful, you may get this

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 12:56 AM

Hmm...well, that's great, Apple. So for iPhone users, if they should ever be clumsy enough to get lost skiing, or the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere in Saskatchewan in the middle summer, they can forget about relying on the iPhone to call for help!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2009-07-04, 03:08 AM
Veteran

Most Li-ion batteries have an operating temperature range like that, I think; I know my Thinkpad's battery got the crap kicked out of it (lost probably an hour of run-time) because I left my laptop in the car in mid-summer in Penticton on a couple days.

Tags
battery life , iphone , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in