Roaming within Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Roaming within Canada

I am not sure if this question has been asked before but:

I am currently with Bell Mobility with an Ottawa number. I plan on driving to Toronto tomorrow and wanted to know if I receive incoming calls outside of the Ottawa area (onroute to Toronto), will I be charged roaming fees?

What about for outbound calls outside the Ottawa region?

What about data on my cell phone (I'm currently on the HTC Touch $7 unlimited data plan) used outside the Ottawa region?

djino
"Thanks in advance for any replies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 02:44 PM
Veteran

you will be charged for IRM, incoming roaming minutes, which is billed at the exact same as an outgoing long distance call when your roaming outside your LCA.

now if u roam outside of canada its totally different
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-06-29, 05:00 PM

Yeah there is not actual roaming anywhere within Canada part of the BWA.. you just get charged LD rates when you are out of your local calling area which is usually 35 cents per minute ..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-06-30, 11:12 PM
Veteran

What ever happened to roaming numbers?

I remember that about 10 years ago it was posted everywhere. For example, I was with Telus mobility back then and on their web site it would list roaming numbers for various cities. So if I took my Calgary phone to Edmonton, people who wanted to call me would dial a local Edmonton number (at their LD expense) and then they would receive second dial tone at which time they could dial my number and it would come to my phone as a local number.

Similarly if both my friend and I were in Edmonton at the same time, and I wanted to dial him on his Calgary homed cell, I could dial 511 or something first and then get 2nd dial tone on my cell and then dial his number. Both of us would be out of our home region but would have cell to cell calls with no roaming or LD charges.

I think all that went out the window years ago??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 09:43 AM
Veteran

they disappeared 10 years ago bro..

basically, the caller had a difficult time understanding if you were in your home calling area or not, so they would have to call the roaming number, thus incurring long distance charges, but you answer your phone and you dont pay any additional air time, that concept was so hard to explain and dificult to advise ppl to call the number when you were in a given city/area. so they scrapped it quickly, and the ld charges moved away from the caller to the receiving party which is a more fair system.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2009-07-01, 06:15 PM

It would have been convenient if we could see a ROAMING indicator when outside local calling area, just like we see one when we roam internationally. As sometimes driving outside calling area boundries makes it difficult to know where one is.

On second thoughts why incur roaming charges inside same country ?

Having travelled frequently to EUROPE and Middle East I notoced something called unified local rate across dozens of countries. That way you not only receive calls with no roaming charge when abroad but also dial within that country as a local.

If it's the same carrier why Roaming charges then in the same country ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in