Are iPhone 3G S downloads really twice as fast as iPhone? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 09:42 PM
Member #1

I understand its upto

but

they say that 3G S unlike 3G can take advantage of 7.2 Mbpsn while the 3G can only use 3.5 Mbps so it should be twice as fast as the 3G.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philray View Post
No, false advertising is clearly promiscuous.
I think the advertise on your D-link wanna say that they CAN transfer up to 108 Mbps. So, if you pay for a service of 110 Mbps, the maximum rate you could have is 108.

You understand?
Yes, sort of, maybe

I suppose maybe not technically "false advertising", since 108 Mbps for the router, or 7.2 Mbps for 3.5G, are theoretically possible, even though practically unachievable under real world conditions.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-07-11, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I understand its upto

but

they say that 3G S unlike 3G can take advantage of 7.2 Mbpsn while the 3G can only use 3.5 Mbps so it should be twice as fast as the 3G.
Hugh, I do understand your point. You're not debating whether 3.5G should achieve 7.2 Mbps, just the fact that it should be twice as fast as 3G, whether that ratio is 7.2/3.6, or 2.0/1.0. Or, in other words, you wouldn't necessarily have a problem with their claim if the actual download speeds turn out to be 500KB/250KB.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 2009-07-12, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I understand its upto

but

The problem is I don't think they're lying. The chip in the 3G S can support 7.2Mbps.

Rogers' towers supports 7.2Mbps.

The problem lies in how they're configured, such that it'll never be close to 7.2Mbps. I think the 3G S is slightly faster in terms of network speed due to efficiencies, but it won't be anywhere close to 2x faster anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in