Setup problems stop wireless users from using more services - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Setup problems stop wireless users from using more services

Complexity is preventing the increased usage of data rich mobile applications and services, according to a survey of US and UK consumers commissioned by Mformation technologies.
Quote:
The majority of users (61%) says they have stopped using mobile applications such as email, internet browsing, instant messaging and picture messaging because they cannot get them working!
This could be the downfall of Smartphones. If it ain't easy to use, people won't bother and that means the wireless company's won't be selling expensive and high margin data plans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 07:24 PM

I guess there is at least one advantage to using a carrier provided handset, there is no need to worry about server setting for most applications. With a windows mobile device email setup is easier than on a desktop.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 08:56 PM

The easiest way to solve this would be to put a "web server" on the phone, accessible by a browser on ones PC via USB, Bluetooth or whatever. So one could set up the phone just as one sets up, for example, a Linksys router. I suspect any phone powerful enough to be called a smartphone has plenty of spare steam to run a web server. As more phones have a WiFi radio built it it just gets easier to do.
my 2c

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 07:59 AM

If the problem is as severe as the survey suggests, I doubt that timlocke's solution would work. How many PC users have never set-up a wireless router and, of those, modified its security settings from "open".

But I really wonder about who was surveyed and the reliability of the results because 61% just isn't credible. Maybe the survey was over-weighted with 50yo+ or independent business men who don't have the time to learn or an IT department to do it for them. Give a smartphone to most under 20yos and not only will they by using it within minutes but within a couple of hours they will have found out on the 'net how to make it do a lot of things it was never intended to. And without ever opening a manual or new user guide.

If wireless companies can't sell to the aging baby boomers, there are more than enough millennials coming on to keep the profits rolling in.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

I think Timlocke has the right idea except I would do it like Logitech and the Harmony remotes.

Use a web interface to update your phone and configure then plug it via USB cable into your computer and have it update. Change phones and you simply change it in the web interface and plug your new phone into the computer.

outinthornhill, the 61% figure doesn't surprise me. Yes the figure would be lower in younger adults but most young adults are just buying their first phone and only use texting.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 12:42 PM
Veteran

they should just make a windows page where you enter your details, login/pass, and it checks a master server for any possible provider settings, and sends a push msg directly to your phone with it fully configured, now how do u like dem apples bro?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 12:48 PM

I agree yet disagree with you Hugh. 61% stopped because they couldn't get it to work seems very high. It would make more sense to me if it said 61% don't use those features (email, web) because all they do is text.

I have two 20-something nieces. Neither they, nor any of their friends, do email or web (even not even Facebook) on their phones. 100's opf text per month, but no email or web. That stuff they do on their laptops or at school in the labs.

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 02:23 PM

It would be interesting to see how it breaks down by age bracket. I hate generalizing, but a user of , say, 60 years old would find these services harder to use than a user of 30 years old. I find it usually goes one of two ways...either someone is too scared to even bother trying (which means they can't "stop"), or starts using these new services and picks it up rather quickly. I have yet to meet someone who "just can't get the hang of it."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 01:17 AM
Veteran

A couple of notes...
  1. A lot of kids "text", but consider email to be "so 20th century"
  2. Verizon, and probabaly other carriers, are G R E E D Y beyond belief. Verizon, in particular, is (in)famous for the extreme lengths they'll go to to force people to email cellphone-snapped photos via Verizon's servers to one's home PC. Stupid phone-company trick number 1 was to disable Bluetooth file-transfers on camera cellphones. The only way to get the picture off the phone to your computer was to email it via Verizon's servers... for a fee http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004697.html

After someone figured out how to hack the phone, to restiore Bluetooth functionality, Verizon eventually allowed Bluetooth file transfers on later models. But they hadn't given up. Their next dirt trick was to modify the camera output to a scrambled format. You had to email the the scrambled image via Verizon's servers, which unscrambled the images... for a fee... http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-31286870.html

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
I think Timlocke has the right idea except I would do it like Logitech and the Harmony remotes.

Use a web interface to update your phone and configure then plug it via USB cable into your computer and have it update. Change phones and you simply change it in the web interface and plug your new phone into the computer.

outinthornhill, the 61% figure doesn't surprise me. Yes the figure would be lower in younger adults but most young adults are just buying their first phone and only use texting.
Texting and gaming and listening to music and watching videos - I see all of it on the subway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in