Who needs a data plan? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Question Who needs a data plan?

That is ... if I purchased a smart phone and wanted to rely on its wifi entirely for web browsing, as well as a purchasing GPS navigation software for maps and navigation, what would I be missing with no Rogers' data plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:42 AM

I did just that when I upgraded and purchased an i phone. Mind you, I have a laptop for work that allows me to surf, but it would be nice to have a data plan on the phone, but I can't justify the additional $20-$30/month so I can surf ANYTIME. I thought I would be able to use more wifi hotspots, but my neighbors seem to be securing their connections!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
... I thought I would be able to use more wifi hotspots, but my neighbors seem to be securing their connections!
All the more reason to install your own, and secure it!

I suppose I'm lucky to be around one of many wifi locations almost anytime, whether it's my own, on campus, or one of several coffee cafes. However, I certainly wanted to know from smart phone peers if there would be anything important that I might need a data plan for(?) (... besides the convenience of having something like Google Maps while lost in the big city)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 03:54 PM

if you have internet at home, do you REALLY need to surf the net when ur not at home? no, its hardly worth the $20+ per month. of course if your job requires you to keep on top of your email, then thats different. but to use it for media, thats ridiculous imho.

i'm going to have to look into that downloading maps with gps. from what i know maps can exceed 1GB, so thats something to consider.

so does anyone know of any gps apps that have maps stored locally.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 04:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
GPS navigation software for maps and navigation
Are you planning on using wi-fi for GPS? If you don't have a data plan and want to use GPS while travelling, this really limits how & where you can use that feature.

Panasonic TH-42PE7U plasma, Toshiba HD-D3, PS3, Shaw DCX3400, Yamaha HTR-6160, Polk 6.1, Belkin PF30, Harmony 700
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 04:55 PM

which is why i'm looking for an app that includes the maps. my research has indicated that there is no such app available yet. looks like tom tom has one that works, but who knows when or if we'll ever see it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you planning on using wi-fi for GPS?
I plan on installing Tomtom or Garmin. Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither should need a data plan.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 05:29 PM

well those don't exist yet for the iphone, nor will they ever legally by the looks of things. the good news is that you can cache google maps using wifi before you leave your house for the day. the maps will show up when ur not connected to anything as long as you dont power the device off.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean luc picard View Post
which is why i'm looking for an app that includes the maps. my research has indicated that there is no such app available yet. looks like tom tom has one that works, but who knows when or if we'll ever see it.
I use Tom Tom on my HTC Touch. It is a great program that works extremely well even when there is no service, or when I was in the US and didn't want to pay data roaming fees.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realise you were looking specifically for the iPhone. To the OP, no you will not need a data plan for Tom Tom.

TC-P54G25, JVC Receiver, Turbosound Impact 50 speakers, Turbosound Impact 110 Sub, Sony SA-WM500 Sub, Bell TV 9200
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 09:03 PM
Veteran

When I'm on the road, I like to know that even if the hotel has craptastic WiFi (which seems to be happening more and more - which astounds me; the speeds I get at some decent hotels feels similar to dial-up), I can tether my iPhone and get pretty solid, reliable speeds. If I'm in Vancouver or Victoria, the 3G speed feels comparable to my home DSL (for regular browsing anyway); and even when I'm using EDGE, it's still pretty decent - not fast, but at least reliable.

When tethered, I can even stream my Slingbox at around 400kbps into my Macbook. Makes catching up on the weekend football games (Slingbox connected to PVR at home) manageable when you're in meetings all day.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 01:30 AM

Nuje, how are your tethering your iPhone? I thought Apple yanked all such apps. Or did you jailbreak it?

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 01:54 AM

Ok, this is probably a silly question, but what is tethering?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 12:16 PM

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Tethering in cellular wireless is the connection of a non-mobile device (e.g. desktop computer, notebook computer, laptop computer), to a mobile device (e.g. cell phone, PDA) for the purpose of wireless Internet access by the non-mobile "tethered" device

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I have it jailbroked - using PDAnet.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 08:18 PM

This is maybe not the right topic to post this, but are there different voice-only plans for smartphones and Blackberries? Would I be able to buy a BB (device only), and plug in my SIM card from my "dumb phone" and use the BB like a regular phone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in