Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - ASUS EEE discussions (all models)
View Single Post
post #32 of (permalink) Old 2008-04-12, 11:40 AM
Danster

Talking I had to get one

Well I took the plunge. I bought the black 4GB 512 meg with camera (701 I think??). I changed the ram for 2 GB and added a SDHC with 16 GB. I went on the net to find out how to make the XP version as small as possible while retaining certain useful functions. I thought you could make an nlite version of XP that would take about 600-700 gm on the SSD...well I failed. I managed to get 1.82 GB...I don't know where I goofed.

I didn't like Linux (nothing against it, just not my favorite, nor is XP but easier for me to handle) so I installed XP. This little guy is amazingly fast for its size. Like stampeder mentioned, it isn't to be used for everyday work but for on the fly browsing or remote assitance helping, this is perfect. I will now use my MYPAL 716 ASUS pocket PCP as a GPS. That one has served me good as well.

On a funny note, I bought the EEE PC with extra ram and SDHC card for $681 shipping ,taxes and whatever else the govt needs. When I tried to install XP last night, I took out my SONY DRX-510UL external DVD-Rom burner out of storage. At the time, that bugger was $649.99 without taxes!!!! Maximum CD Speed read on it was 32 and maximum write was 24. DVD read speed was 12x and write speed was 4x (2x RW)...wow. It weighs almost 10 pounds, 10 inches long by 9 wide and 2 inches tall. Talk about yesterdays technology!!!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome