Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums - View Single Post - ON - Barrie, Muskoka, Sault Ste. Marie, Northern Ontario - OTA

View Single Post
post #88 of (permalink) Old 2008-03-21, 06:41 PM
greentreee
Rookie

Goulais River (just outside of The Soo)

hello,

i live in goulais river which is just outside of sault ste. marie. I've spent the last couple of days combing over several threads to gain as much info as possible. I recently got a Sony Bravia LCD after years of using crt tvs.

I'm only picking up channels 2 (ctv), 5 (cbc) and 28 (tvo) [all of which are at 25% reception] with an old FM archer indoor antenna. On my old t.v. i could also pick up 12 (global) and c.h. (can't remember the channel number) 8 (abc), 10 (cbs) and very rarely 4 (nbc) with the same antenna.

The american channels rarely would come in clear, i should note.

With the help of the google map i found that i am about 80 km away from the cbs and abc towers in soo mich. and from what i've read so far i am in the fringe to deep fringe area from these towers.

my concern is that between my house and the cbs/abc towers is a hill (where the canadian towers are generally located) and i'm not sure if it is a large enough obstruction to even try to pick up the digital signal.

also, seeing that the distance between the canadian towers and the u.s. ones are at such a difference, i'm wondering what sort of options there are when it comes to picking the right antenna to buy.

any thoughts or comments would be great.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome