Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Video Card with composite Video IN and OUT

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  rpr 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a basic PCI video capture card, with a

-composite RCA video IN and
-a composite RCA video OUT (or S-video OUT)

Do such cards exists?

I'm sure the higher end "TV tuner cards" have them, but I don’t need a TV tuner - as well this would be for an older PC (so I don’t want to spend too much). This card would be for modest needs ie viewing non-HD family pics from PC onto the TV screen

Any suggestions where to start looking?

#4 ·
If I read your post correctly, all you need is a cable to your TV from your vid card.
A basic PCI capture card like the old TV Wonder Pro is meant for capturing video either from cable TV, VCR or video game output. Other than that, it has no real use. Most modern (3-4 yrs old) video cards support dual outputs so if you can see it right now on your monitor, you can also send that to your TV.
It depends on what you have now.

#5 ·
A basic PCI capture card like the old TV Wonder Pro is meant for capturing video either from cable TV, VCR or video game output. Other than that, it has no real use.
Agree, capturing is readily available in old and new capture cards....but I am looking for ones that might also have a Video OUT. I have a older card on another pc that does..seem they dont sell these anymore.

Most modern (3-4 yrs old) video cards support dual outputs so if you can see it right now on your monitor, you can also send that to your TV.
Agree, using an vidri output on a video card (rather than trying to look for it on a video capture card) might be my only option here.

It depends on what you have now.
Nothing realy - looking to buy a capture card and replace a video card, on an older PC.

#6 ·
MSI using Nvidia chipsets has many types of capture and video out cards. I've been using them for quite some time and I have no problem whatsoever.

#7 · (Edited)
All ATI AIW video cards have video plus audio capture in and video out (composite and S-video.) Many other ATI based cards have the same video feature (VIVO.) Most GeForce video cards do not.

You could also check out the 'AIRLINK101 Video Capture USB2.0 Adapter ' (about $45), the 'Hauppauge Impact Vcb Video Capture Board PCI' (about $60), the 'Turtle Beach Video Advantage Adx Capture System' (about $130), and the 'Diamond VC500 One Touch Video Capture USB 2.0' (about $40).

#8 ·
All ATI AIW video cards have video plus audio capture in and video out (composite and S-video.) Many other ATI based cards have the same video feature (VIVO.) Most GeForce video cards do not.
With modern cards, on a modern PC, you are correct- I could likely find the ability to meet all needs on one card, ie ability to

- capture video
- drive the pc monitor
- drive a secondary source ( eg TV)

I didnt think such cards were even available.

But in my case, I'm using an older PC, so my options are limited...no PCiE slots, and only an AGP 1.0 capability. So all I really have is PCI slots, and to date, given I want to buy new (vs ebay), all I've not been able to find such a card....and am concluding that I'd likely need separate cards - one for VGA/DVI/Svid output, and a tv tuner/capture card for video input. I guess that had advantages as well re future mix and matches with other computers in the house.

#10 ·
ATI AIW cards were available for AGP 1.0. You won't find one new though. (IIRC, I owned one about 10-15 years ago.) A USB 2.0 capture device and a PCI USB 2.0 card may be a better option. For video, you will probably need a video card with TV out. That will probably need to be used as well. Finding a used ATI AIW may be the best bet. Obtaining the software may be another issue. I would check the ATI site for drivers and software before buying an older ATI card.

You may run into other issues. I already hinted at software. Many new products may not support this system and/or the operating system. Even if a card works, there is a good chance the software won't or they won't work well.

There is also a video quality issue with PCs and composite/s-video connections. They are Ok for watching recorded TV and similar sources but not good enough for larger TV screens or most computer applications.

#11 ·
ATI AIW cards were available for AGP 1.0. You won't find one new though. (IIRC, I owned one about 10-15 years ago.)
You indeed recall directly, I have one of those AIW cards still working in yet another old pc. For this 'project' I am trying to breathe some life into an old box - just for the challenge I suppose - I thinks its doable, but you are right - I need to take some caution in what software will actaully work. The old box is running Win Xp SP2 os I should be okay OS wise - it will "just" be video drivers - I'll take care to note whats in the box and whats available for download before buying anything. Thanks for the reminder!

I also need to watch power supply requirements - one the cards I was eyeing looked good until I read the fine print about the min 300W power supply requirements. Old betsy has 200W.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.