Anyone heard of GekTV? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-08-08, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Location: Scarborough; Rogers SA4250HD, Samsung LNT4061, Samsung R160, Samsung HT-TX75 (blew up) -> HT-TWZ515
Anyone heard of GekTV?

I just saw someone carrying a GekTV digital receiver box while eating dessert in Scarborough, ON.

Looking on this forum, it appears IPTV is only available from select Telcos as their method of providing TV signals.

From my brief research, IPTV seems to be more simplistic? Correct me if I'm wrong but I was assuming I just need that GekTV box, an internet connection, and it would get connected to any IPTV provider on the internet?

If that's the case, why is this forum so limited to regional telco offerings? Shouldn't there be a whole world of IPTV providers out there from around the world for us to choose from?

I tried searching on this topic but nothing came up... apologies if my searching skills still need improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-08-09, 08:43 PM
Veteran

IPTV, as a competitive alternative to cable or satellite TV, is most effectively delivered over a closed, local, isolated controlled network. Only "last mile" wire providers can provide that closed system, and Cable already delivers TV, so doesn't need IPTV, so that leaves telcos. Most IPTV systems are a system closed to the local telco, and hardware.

Companies like GekTV compete by providing a conduit for niche programming that traditional TV providers do not or cannot deliver. They are technically, IMO, Internet TV, since they deliver TV over the general internet, not a closed system like telco based IPTV service.

As for the world of Internet TV services, they are generally not competitive with traditional providers, and each provider typically uses their own box or PC software package, if not streamed from the web. Also, some content providers may not sell to or otherwise block their content from Canadians.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-08-17, 09:05 AM

"GekTV Entertainment is a Chinese language distribution platform in the US. Through a partnership with Tai Seng Media (Asia), GekTV will deliver the three Star channels to paying subscribers across the US via its proprietary set-top box to TV sets."

From "Three star channels added to GekTV in U.S. and Canada", IPTV Watch, UK, Feb. 29, 2008.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-08-20, 04:15 PM

IPTV is a new and growing distribution method and appears to be a popular way to distribute ehtnic channels to consumers. There are currently several companies that operate in the US but the long-term viability of them is unknown. The reason I say this is because alot of them distribute channels illegally and eventually once they are caught they get shut down. There are a few that I am aware of that offered European channels that have come and gone.

GekTV is one of two services offering Chinese Televison via IPTV, the other is KylinTV. Both appear to be stable and legal so if you are interested in Chinese TV then I would look into either one of them. KylinTV, I believe, offers more channels including channels from mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan & Macau. Here is a description:

Quote:
KyLinTV is the first IPTV service dedicated to the Chinese community, offering both live broadcast and 30,000+ hours of Video-On-Demand programming. For more information on KyLinTV programming please visit www.kylintv.com
Another newer service that has recently launched is NEXTV. They are owned by Ethnic Channels Group who operate several ethnic channels in Canada. They offer several packages, mainly from Europe, but also some others. For more info check out their site: www.getnextv.com

All 3 companies that I mentioned offer there services in both the US and Canada so even though Kylin TV is from the US you can still subscribe to it in Canada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in