Sasktel Max Installation methods - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Sasktel Max Installation methods

They will be connecting 4 STBs as well as an existing network [1 wired device and 3 wireless devices - third-party (not HomeNet)]. What are the installation methods for Sasktel Max services? Will they use existing coaxial cable wires, or install ethernet wires? All I know is that a $99 installation fee for leaving the service would be easily outweighed cost-wise if they were to wire the house with Cat5. Also, if they were to take this option, how is this process performed without damage to the cable or house structure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-02-05, 11:56 AM

They won't use coax. The entire wired network will be Cat-5.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-02-21, 12:51 PM

Never say never......it really depends on the scenario. Cat 5E is definately the install of choice, but coax can be used if no other options are present, or the customer does not want surface wire running to that specific location. Coax cannot be used for internet runs.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-02-24, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I decided to wait until Sasktel goes FTTP (supposively by the end of the year). Hopefully the infrastructure will be similiar to Verizon's FiOS so they can utilize the existent coaxial networks in the customer's home. It would make it a heck of a lot cheaper for Sasktel (ethernet wiring is at about an estimated US$800). All they need to do is drop a ethernet line to the demarc and hook it to a wireless router for internet distribution, while hooking a coaxial line to a splitter to be distributed to each STB (Motorola?). I don't know if Sasktel has the go-ahead yet for VOIP, so Sasktel would not even need to use the POTS line anymore (although Verizon keeps analog as an option).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-03-06, 02:20 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinC View Post
I decided to wait until Sasktel goes FTTP (supposively by the end of the year).
SaskTel appears to be doing some pretty aggresive stuff with its IPTV product including 27 HD channels. But I'm not sure I'd hold my breath on FTTP. That is a very very expensive proposition and unsupportable as a business case for SaskTel at the moment. A more likely scenario is adding more nodes closer to customers to provide better signals and possibly more bandwidth. But FTTP is surely at least 3 years away in this market except, possibly, for a trial of a few hundred homes.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-04-24, 01:46 AM

There is already FTTP testing being done in Regina. I wish i was on that trial
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-04-24, 10:44 PM

what is FTTP?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-04-24, 11:44 PM

Fibre to the premise, a fibre optic cable that runs to the back of the house.

Bill McMinn
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-04-25, 02:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
FTTP costs about $2000 per subscriber to deliver -- according Verizon Fios who are doing it in the US and indsutry watchers. FTTN (Fibre to the Node/Neighbourhood) is closer $700. Until the costs come down, FTTP will only be deployed in highly strategic and wealthy neighbourhoods. Plus the software and infrastructure is still in development. Give it another couple of years at least.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2007-04-27, 02:22 AM

SaskTel will first launch VDSL2 later this year, which will enable BW of just under 90Mhz to the house using pair (or port, depending on how you look at it) bonding. FTTP is still a few years away, but is in the future plans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in