Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion

I heard a rumour that SaskTel will launch Max HD on November 1. Has anyone heard anything to confirm or disprove this?

Another rumour was that it would only be EDTV (480P), but I seriously doubt this. I suppose we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 04:05 PM
Member #1

The following is edited from a Widevine press release issued today

Quote:
Widevine Technologies, provider of downloadable content protection, forensic watermarking and digital copy protection solutions, has announced it has expanded its content security for SaskTel’s HDTV over IP deployment, available to SaskTel Max™ customers beginning today.

SaskTel’s new HDTV service is part of a complete broadcast and VOD service offering comprised of 27 Max HD channels, claimed by Widevine to be one the largest high definition line-ups available to IPTV subscribers anywhere. The service offers several entertainment theme packages, plus sports, news and movies from top Hollywood studios including Warner Bros. International, Paramount, NBC Universal, Twentieth Century Fox and Sony Pictures. SaskTel has signed multi-year distribution agreements with these studios to solidify a competitive advantage and to harvest new revenue generating services.

SaskTel's Max service is one of the largest IP video deployments the world. SaskTel has purchased an additional 50,000 security clients from Widevine for planned growth to protect additional customers.
and

Quote:
"SaskTel's launch of premium HD services is ground-breaking in the industry. Widevine and SaskTel have proven that safe, secure and flexible consumption of premium HD content is possible in an IPTV environment. We look forward to enabling SaskTel to grow its business with expanded multimedia service offerings," said Matt Cannard, Vice President of Marketing.

post #3 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 04:15 PM
Member #1

There was a 1pm press conference today. Details should be out shortly!

post #4 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 04:35 PM

Wow if it comes to pass, it blows away a lot of other competitiors , makes me wish I was back in the old country, where I grew up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 04:46 PM

Just caught the end of the news conference. Think I heard 27 HD channels including Discovery, Oasis, Rush, TSN, U.S. and Canadian networks. I think they're using MPEG4. HD VOD will be later as content becomes available.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2006-10-16 at 05:40 PM.
post #6 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 06:49 PM

So the million $$$ question is why not MTS. Unbeleivable, good for SaskTel. Shows me why MTS is not a leader, a shame, simply a shame.
post #7 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 07:09 PM

Well Canada45 in case you missed it, MTS lead Canada by being the first telco to offer HDTV. Sasktel is a close second. And this thread is about Sasktel.

Quote:
Beginning October 16, 2006, new customers can sign up for Max service and
receive Max HD Ultimate for $59.00 per month for four months. Max HD Ultimate
includes 27 Max HD channels, 13 regular theme packages, Movie Central, HD
Adventure, access to Max Front Row, 35 Saskatchewan AM/FM Radio Stations, 45
Galaxie Music Stations and High Speed Internet service.
post #8 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 08:34 PM
Veteran

I noticed that they will be using H.264 for HD. I wonder what the quality will be like. I've heard mixed things from other providers that use this codec (Notably DISH and DirecTV).
post #9 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 08:54 PM

Well, I just signed up!!

$10/month gets me 15 network stations plus any station that is in one of my theme packs that has an HD counterpart will automatically be included. They are coming on Nov. 4. In time for me to watch the Riders wipe the field with Calgary in HD.

Do I sound excited??
post #10 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 09:04 PM
Member #1

Well, I hope you told them you read about it on Digital Home!

post #11 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-17, 01:06 AM

Has anybody heard,do they have an HDPVR?
post #12 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-17, 02:37 AM

Rumour has it that there will not a PVR available.
post #13 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-17, 09:53 AM

Sorry Hugh, I was being bounced around from person to person and spending a lot of time on hold. Only 3 hours after the press conference there were a lot of people who were not sure of a lot of things.

BTW, there was no mention of a PVR when I signed up. However, they told me the cables were included but could not tell me if it was HDMI or component/optical. I guess I'll see what comes and then upgrade whatever I need to.

Anyway, my point is there was a little confusion yesterday. Everyone was quite excited though.

Greg
post #14 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-18, 06:37 PM

The details are up on the Sasktel web site.

For an extra $10 a month you get East and West feeds of the big 4 US Networks and CTV and the Toronto CBC, Global and CITY in HD. You will also get the HD version of SD channels that you subscribe to (ex. Sportsnet, TSN , WGN, Movie Central, etc.).

For $9.95 more you can get the HD Adventure pack which incliudes Discovery, Rush, Treasure, Oasis & Equator HD.
post #15 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-18, 07:11 PM

details here:
http://www.sasktel.com/Store/popups/max-hd.html

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in