Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-06, 10:05 PM

cancelation fee

hey there Painter

I had the HD service form MAX for a while too,, but I simply told them I was not going to pay the $99.00 cancelation fee.
They were all falling over themselves, trying to get me an extended intorductory price,, (offered me two more months), but I stuck to my guns, and made mention of all the times I was online to tech support, 28 days out of 30 .
I also told them that if they tried to charge me,, they would have a fight on their hands, and that as far as I was concerned they did not live up to their end of the contract,,, they did not deliver a reliable,,nor quality signal.
So long and short of it, squeeky wheel gets the grease.
so make some noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-06, 10:32 PM

I don't subscribe to Sasktel Max but I was replying to westmanguy's question about why they wouldn't fix their problem's before launching.What I was trying to say was that once you signed up they're hoping the $100 cancellation charge will will keep you there why they work through their problems.I think they well knew their might be problems(but who doesn't have them at startup)and the cancellation fee was put there for that reason.
Good for you that you got out of it though.
post #108 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-07, 05:50 AM

the reason they charge $100 cancel fee is to try and prevent promotion hoppers. people that just switch from provider to provider when there promotion expires to get a better money saving deal.

not to mention that HDTV max installation can take upto 6 hours, and sometimes 2 or 3 installers are required.

my friend had the service installed not to long ago, it took them 4 hours with two installers. when they were about to leave, his phones didnt work. it took them another hour, so 5 hours in total to get his services running.

he's got two beautiful HDTV's, shaw on one and sasktel the other.

as soon as he got it hooked up, he had both running side by side..

even the installers admitted that shaw had a much better picture quality and speed with there service. he did say they were nice guys, but is cancelling his sasktel hd because of all the issue's is having.

post #109 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-13, 11:12 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurr740 View Post
My Issue is with all the boxes, on the standard channels, the picure will appear to have rectangular boxes, around a moving image, as if the picture is tearing or not enough memory has been bufferd before the processor draws the picture to the television screen, all the boxes do this, whenever there is alot of movement,, ie,, water,, or a basketball game. To the point where it is painfull to watch.. This is not Pixalization, the blocks are too big for that, these are approximatley 1/8" tall and bout 1/4" long,, it's very annoying.
Same thing happens with Shaw's digital cable service. It is most noticeable with stuff like moving water, fire, that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure these artifacts are due to lossy compression. Just one of those limitations one has to put up with when going digital. Lowering the amount of compression would probably help reduce the effect. Next best thing is to use a better algorithm. Good luck getting these content providers to realize that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
you are trying to run CABLE tv via telephone line.

last i checked, i've never heard or seen any TV in the history of the world built with a phone jack in the back of it, cable ready via tv line.

there is something called bandwidth that teleco companies cant fix.

it doesnt matter how much fiber the feed the system, the bottom line is at the end of the pipe, it still comes in contact with a phone line and that just kills all your speed and quality.
That sounds relatively correct. Still... The nice thing is that unlike digital cable, users of DSL don't have to share bandwidth with each other. Each line is dedicated as far as I know, and it can show depending where you live.

All this is actually interesting, because I recently watched a PBS special about the history of telecommunications, and it included how the power of total internal reflection was harnessed. It is really amazing just how much bandwidth one single strand of optical cable, about the width of a human hair, can carry with todays technology (about 10 gigabits per second). Totally blows copper wire away. Imagine, if you will, a massive bundle of copper wire around 10 feet in diameter. That is what it takes to equal one of those strands of fiber optics. Totally blew me away when they showed an example of that by having a person stand next to one while holding some optical fiber. Apparently, the bottleneck ends up being the hardware at both ends. All that data flying around has to be compressed, decompressed, routed, error corrected, etc. The delays, while very small individually, really add up. Anyways, I have no doubt that this is the future of content delivery, as the bandwidth for HD is definitely there and ready for use. Just a bunch of bugs to work out really. I don't work in this field, so feel free to correct me on anything I've said that may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
Actually, it works different then cable and digital cable. Please correct me if I am wrong people, but that is my understanding on how it works.
I actually live right next to the DSLAM, so latency is minimal and speeds are fast. Even with short delays when changing between channels, I doubt I would be bothered too much. It's the boxes constantly freezing up I keep reading about that is making me hesitate. I record a great deal of TV shows using a Toshiba PVR, so that the wife and I can watch them over the weekend at our leisure, which we delete when were done. Sounds like we would end up missing a lot without being there to babysit the decoder box constantly.

This is so sad. I was really looking forward to switching from Shaw to Sasktel and getting all those lovely HD channels for our new 1080p HDTV. Guess it's time for apartment living to come to an end, finally buy a house so I can get one of the satellite services. With our level of debt it has been hard to come up with a decent down payment, hence why we're still stuck where we are today. Too bad these satellite companies don't push harder to make their services available to folks like us, as I'm sure there is a lot of money to be made in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I think the problems SaskTel is having rolling out HD are teething pains. They are attempting something right on the bleeding edge --delivering high end IPTV over a hybrid of fibre and copper wires.
Excellent point. I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but all these reports are a bit scary, and I so hate being burned (the most recent case involving banding on the Sharp D62U, what a PITA). Plus there is no guarantee that they will be sorted out in a timely fashion. Like painter pointed out about the $100 cancellation fee, once they have you, your theirs. Boss had a good point as well, about how the original Max service still hasn't been fixed after all these years. Sasktel is a good company, or at least I've always felt so. Even so, they are still a business in a cut throat industry, and one has to keep that in mind. Promises are easy to make, and don't cost them anything to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurr740 View Post
I had the HD service form MAX for a while too,, but I simply told them I was not going to pay the $99.00 cancelation fee.

I also told them that if they tried to charge me,, they would have a fight on their hands, and that as far as I was concerned they did not live up to their end of the contract,,, they did not deliver a reliable,,nor quality signal.
Well done! Too bad more people aren't as willing as you to stick up for themselves and demand satisfaction. Most often the path of least resistance is to give up, and I'm sure companies know it. That kind of unwillingness is what allows many an underhanded business to go on cheating many good people. Eventually they do get taken down, but usually only after a whole lot of irreversible damage has been done. Wish there were more folks like you in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But for now: subscribe eyes wide open and enjoy the thrill of being a frontier-maker. That's a very Saskatchewanian thing, isn't it?
LOL! It is indeed.
post #110 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss
sasktel on the other hand is still running ADSL, which peaks at 7mbit/sec.
Nope. ADSL2... 24mbps. Each HD stream uses 12mbps. Also, there is enough bandwidth to stream all the channels on MAX simultaneously out to each DSLAM. You only need to send one copy of the channel to the DSLAM, and it's then muticasted to each subscriber. Also, with the newest upgrade, no one should be further than 900m from a DSLAM.
post #111 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 10:51 AM

thats even more depressing to here they got 3x the bandwidth and there service still looks terrible.

i guess there really is no hope for anyone that enjoys quality and freeze free shows.
post #112 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Well, Boss, I wouldn't be so quick to write off SaskTel. They have a very ambitious plan, and a very small base to serve (and spread costs) -- 45,000 TV customers vs. 2.2 million for Shaw, for example.

Another poster mentioned 900m lengths from DSLAM to household -- that's good news and should allow them to get the full benefit of 24 mbps under ADSL2. That's enough for a 5 mbps Internet, two SD streams and one HD stream -- not a bad performance. The trick is to work out the kinks quickly so that early adopters don't get so discouraged the rest of the customer base walks away.
post #113 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-17, 09:45 PM

What would the mbps of the two sd streams and the HD stream be?
post #114 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-18, 04:48 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
What would the mbps of the two sd streams and the HD stream be?
Around 18 mbps based on about 12 mbps for the HD stream and 3-4 mbps for each SD stream.
post #115 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-19, 07:24 PM

The PVR unit be a HD/SD PVR Motorola STB sometime in the 2nd qtr I heard.
post #116 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-20, 12:07 AM

I finally switched over to max HD from Shaw yesterday. He started at noon and by 3:00 he called in two others to give him a hand. They finished at 5:15. It was a five wire run( 1-hd, 3 digital boxes, one internet). All lines were hidden very professionally and all in all a very impressive install. The HD worked right off the bat and the picture is spectacular. Channel switching is a littler slower than Shaw but faster than BEV. Absolutely no glitches on any of the set tops within the first 15 hrs. I believe my internet is now faster than what I had with Shaw. I was sure that would be the other way around. The HD box is a Motorola VP1200 silver box. I have a co-worker who also got the HD installed a couple of weeks ago and he too has experienced no problems like have been previously posted on this forum.
So far this has been a great change we have made. Channel 206 has the free movies on demand and that will be awesome.
I can't wait for NFL playoffs this weekend!
post #117 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-30, 03:11 PM

Same ol...SAme ol

Stayed home and watched TV Saturday night. Hockey Night in Canada and Cops. Turn on HNIC...still having 5.1 surround problems. Had to change channels to and from HNIC several times to get the sound pulsing to stop. Watched Cops on Fox HD, and it cut out several times for at least three minutes a time. Finally I got ticked and phoned SaskTel. The tech said he would check with the programming department, and reported back that they were not having any problems. I told him to turn it to Fox and then he said he could see the pauses and boxy pixelization.

I told him I was getting real ticked, and asked him if they are actually confident that all the problems were going to be fixed in the short future, and he replied that they sure hoped so. I told him I would probably have to talk to someone about waiving the cancellation fee if things didn't get better. he said they have a programming team which is working in conjunction with Motorola to get firmware upgrades out as soon as they can...about one a week he said. These upgrades do not take effect until the bix is reset.

I asked him if it mattered how far away you are from the end of the fiber, and he said not really, they have boxes right in their building that have the same problems. I quizzed him on PVRs and he said they were hoping within the next few weeks to have firmware out for that. I asked if our current boxes had hard drives in them and he said that yes, they did. I said a PVR will be no good anyway, because it will be frozen and the sound will be crap anyway.

Anyway the guy was real helpful and nice, which seems to be the only positive thing I can say about Max HD. He admitted they bit off more than they can chew...that they are trying to be HD over IP pioneers.

And to all the people from out of province commenting...
I don't comment on your service out there...because I don't get that service. I get a little frustrated at the "It can't be that bad" comments. So keep the opinions on the down low if you've never had Max HD....
Thanks
post #118 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-01-31, 03:00 PM

SaskTel Minister Deb Higgins said 2007 is "Year 2'' of the Next Generation Access Infrastructure (NGAI), a five-year, $310-million project to increase bandwidth to the province's 10 major centres.
"Essentially, the program will provide fibre (optics) to the curb in the 10 largest centres in Saskatchewan,'' Anderson said, adding SaskTel plans to extend the "fibre backbone'' to 5,000 homes this year.
"NGAI also enables SaskTel's Max Entertainment Services to offer HDTV to as many as four TVs per household, as well as pay per view and local video-on-demand services,"

From Regina Leader Post article "$118 million to improve network" -30 Jan 2007:
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...e-2140947136ed

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #119 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-02-04, 03:19 PM

After watching some of these new feeds that Access has from Bell I am beginning to think that SaskTel might not be at fault for all the issues they are having with their HD. Man, my Access service has sucked for the last couple of days, its been getting a bit better today but on some channels, like Fox and CBS, it has been hard to watch because of the freezes. I am thinking this has a lot to do with Bell. Hopefully with all the noise coming from Max and Access customers, Bell will get to work and fix this up so that we all don't have to suffer through these issues.
post #120 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-02-14, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adodd
Turn on HNIC...still having 5.1 surround problems. Had to change channels to and from HNIC several times to get the sound pulsing to stop.
HDMI or Optical?

Quote:
he said they have a programming team which is working in conjunction with Motorola to get firmware upgrades out as soon as they can...about one a week he said. These upgrades do not take effect until the bix is reset.
The box should reset after every update.

Quote:
I asked him if it mattered how far away you are from the end of the fiber, and he said not really, they have boxes right in their building that have the same problems. I quizzed him on PVRs and he said they were hoping within the next few weeks to have firmware out for that. I asked if our current boxes had hard drives in them and he said that yes, they did.
The Motorola VIP1200 does not have a hard drive in it. PVR functionality will not be something coming out that fast. VIP1208/VIP1216 are the only ones with hard drives.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in