Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 11:44 AM

More problems

HDTV out last night (Sunday, November 27) from 8:00pm until who knows when. It just totally quit. Regular Max TV ok. Phoned SaskTel, and the message just said they are aware there was a problem and they are working on it. This is a great service, when it works. But 5.1 surround problems, service interruptions, and frequent resets are really ruining things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 03:49 PM

I don't know who you're talking to, but with the MAX HD you can have 5Mbps internet. It's called MAX plus. 1 HDTV on one modem 3 STB and 5Mbps on the other.
post #78 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-27, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasterfunk View Post
I don't know who you're talking to, but with the MAX HD you can have 5Mbps internet. It's called MAX plus. 1 HDTV on one modem 3 STB and 5Mbps on the other.
my friend just got hooked up, he lives down by 8th street right by there fibre and they cant hook him up with anything faster than 1.5 with his HD max.

plus, i called in again. waited on hold for a while and confirmed with the tech department they cant handle 5.0 with HD max.

im pretty sure sasktel has a max bandwidth of 7mbits on there lines. HD takes up about 5-6mbits.

post #79 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 01:38 AM

It's true, at the moment you can't have 5 meg internet on the same line as HD. The HD takes up just under 13 meg on the line. That is why you can have HD on one line and 3 SD boxes and 5mb internet on the other. 2 Lines coming in, and 2 modems running it.
post #80 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-28, 02:26 AM

right, you can't have more than 1.5 internet on the HD modem, that's why they put the 5mbps internet on the other modem.
post #81 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-02, 10:34 AM

How long has HD been available from Sasktel? I was one of the first to get it from Access in Regina and it was a bit of a trial and tribulations thing in the first few months. I would expect that it would get better for those that have the service. I ended up having to get one of the Techs from Access to come out and rewire the two tv's I have hooked up to the HD Boxes and they ran an entirely new line into my residence this spring because the existing line was wearing out or whatever. I would think that by now people would be used to a bit of issue that comes along with having digital TV services of any kind.

Let me know when Sasktel starts to support two HD boxes. I might be willing to give them a shot. I have their internet services as I don't like being 'throttled' when I am downloading 'too much'. No, I am not bitter. LOL!

Anyone know when Access is going to be getting more HD Channels? I am a NFL Nut and would like more games in HD, which I would only get with some HD Time Shifting. Pretty Please? I have been good all year!
post #82 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-02, 07:04 PM

Max HD has been available since November 1. I have had it since the 4th and there have been some issues with the sound cutting in and out and the picture freezing. I have not noticed this for about a week now (although I haven't watched a lot of TV in the last week.) When I mentioned this to a CSR from Sasktel they threw in an extra month of Ultimate MAX HD for my trouble. I'm pretty happy.
post #83 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-03, 01:58 AM

With all these problems and Them using Bell's signal from the sky.

Why not just go bell and forget all these problems?

There bundle deals are not cheaper than bell's packages or atleast I have read anyway.
post #84 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-03, 11:39 AM

I guess one of my motivations for using Sasktel is the fact that the money stays in Saskatchewan and isn't going off to Calgary or Toronto. I have regular phone service an their Extreme HS. I have never had a lick of trouble with either.

I had HS with Access and they were always ragging about amounts of downloads so that got tired pretty fast. I would expect that with this new network that Sasktel is putting in, that we will see all sorts of new offerings in terms of speeds, uploads and downloads. I can't wait!

My only reason I guess for not going to Sasktel for my TV is the limitation in the HD only being on one TV and the previous limitation of only two TV's in total.

I guess what I understand is that this is a new product and as they work to improve their service it will get better. Eventually it will be stable and it will have the features I am looking for and I will probably give them a shot.
post #85 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-04, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungFan View Post
I guess one of my motivations for using Sasktel is the fact that the money stays in Saskatchewan and isn't going off to Calgary or Toronto. I have regular phone service an their Extreme HS. I have never had a lick of trouble with either.

I had HS with Access and they were always ragging about amounts of downloads so that got tired pretty fast. I would expect that with this new network that Sasktel is putting in, that we will see all sorts of new offerings in terms of speeds, uploads and downloads. I can't wait!

My only reason I guess for not going to Sasktel for my TV is the limitation in the HD only being on one TV and the previous limitation of only two TV's in total.

I guess what I understand is that this is a new product and as they work to improve their service it will get better. Eventually it will be stable and it will have the features I am looking for and I will probably give them a shot.
thats funny you mention, keeping the money in the province. i am trying to find the article.

but sasktel dumped 22million into a USA based company. ended up selling it for 150,000$

yeah, awsome keep the money in the province company.
post #86 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 09:02 PM

Just got a letter from Sasktel stating that they are continuing to improve the issues with HD service. Upgrades are coming and the initial Ultimate HD rate will continue until Jan. 31.
post #87 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-17, 05:44 PM

MAX HD MAjor Problems

Okay,, here's my story
got hooked up on Nov. 17 was really excited about it too after reading all the posts on here,, to that date
Poof that night had to reboot my box 4 times ,, got on the phone the next morning to tech support,,, and so on and so on ,, well I have it it now for 30 days,, and have been on the phone for 28 of those 30 days to tech support,, I even have the number for the second tier support too and phone them direct.
I have heard no mention of the "new" box you speak of.
Yesterday I lost it,, Phoned Mangers,,, cause even the regular MAX has major issues now,,, Pixelation,, alomst like picture tearing on a computer game,, or watching video over the iternet on your PC,,(hey wait,, ain't that what we're doing).... Whala,, tech guy at my door in that raging storm we had yesterday,,, went up the pole,, got a new modem,,, HA!!!!! same ol' same ol'
Here's the kicker ,, the tech guy phoned the local guys in town here,, they told him,, it was cause "Bell's" signal was no good so they were only rebroadcasting what they got from BELL. Well he left to chage some ports on the box down the street from me,, and I never heard from him again. I phoned back and got put thru to the Head Service manager in Regina,, he was all apologetic and such about no reply from the tech service guy, and reitorated the same story about Bell's poor signal,,, WELL,, I am still hooked up to BELL and told him as such and that the signal from bell was beautifull,,,,,, ohh, ummmm, welll,,, we are having delivery troubles but he couldn't find any,,, okay,, this is on my regular MAX service. I was told this too would be sent off to Second tier tech support to run , 'Line Tests'

To change topics, I said your HD service is a JOKE,, right???,, again with the "Umm welll,, haaaaa,, yeah,, well, you see the truth is people have been fired over this", he told me,, "at Alcatel, and Motarola". Sasktel was assured this would all work ,, but in all fairness HD over VOIP,, has never been tried on such a large network as what we have here in Saskatchewan....

LONG and SHORT,, DON'T waste your time or money yet, there are too many bugs in the system, I can't even turn on my set top HD box anymore without having to reboot it,, and now I even have dead pixels on my Plasma screen showing up ever 4th or 5th boot,, which require another boot....( I know what your thinking it's your TV,, well the componet video to my DVD player has no dead Pixels, nor does over the air broadcast, nor does Bell Expressview,, just that damned Motarola Box, and only every 4th or 5th Boot)

OKAY,, I now a long rant, sorry, I look forward to hearing from any of you too,, to rip up what I have had to say,, or agree,,,

untill next time
post #88 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-17, 07:31 PM

That sounds awful..

MTS in Winnipeg has HD service and besides the poor programming they have for HD.. I haven't heard about anything that bad.

I assume SaskTel is doing it differently then MTS.

Wow.. the phone monopoly out there seems to be having lots of trouble:

HD fiasco
Shaw introducing Shaw phone out there.
Access Comm. rebuilding cable plant in Regina for supposedly "more HD then SaskTel".

I am near Brandon MB.. 3 hours from Regina.. and we are expected to get an announcement for MTS TV out here... I don't trust TV over internet.. which basically is what IPTV is...
post #89 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-18, 06:06 AM

Someone asked why not just go Bell and avoid the hassle? That is a fair point. Unfortunately there are many that don't have many choices when it comes to providers. Because I live in an apartment, my only two choices are Shaw, which I've had for several years now, and Sasktel. Since I got a Sharp 52D62U a couple of weeks ago, I really want to switch to Sasktel's Max HD service. Shaw's digital and analog quality leaves much to be desired, plus they only offer four HD channels here.

I'm sure that Sasktel's service will eventually improve with time and patience. I've had their internet package since 1999, when high speed finally became available in my area, and have always been extremely pleased with both their service and support. It is largely because of this that I would like very much to switch away from Shaw altogether. That and it would save me quite a lot on the monthly bill payments.

Actually, my wife told me the other day that one of her friends from work got a new cable box from Sasktel. I was only half paying attention so I can't remember the details. She is sleeping right now, but I'll ask her when she gets up. If I recall correctly, this 'friend' demanded one of the new boxes, and it is grey instead of black. Don't quote me on that though since I don't even know if this is second had info, or perhaps third or fourth even lol. I am inclined to believe that they will eventually replace their current boxes for something newer though. While I don't know much about the box they are currently using, I have no doubt that it is out of date and not up to the task for HD use.
post #90 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-12-18, 02:15 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
I don't trust TV over internet.. which basically is what IPTV is...
Um, not exactly.. It's true that "TV over Internet" is IPTV but IPTV isn't necessarily "TV over Internet".

Products like Akimbo, ITVN, TVU, ZIM, JUMP-TV and a host of others are, indeed IPTV "TV over Internet".

But IPTV from a Canadian telco -- including MTS, Bell, Aliant, Sasktel and Telus -- delivers (or will deliver) TV using IP over a dedicated private network. Note this is the same underlying technology as the Internet but it is NOT the Internet. Internet viruses, for example, won't have access to IPTV from a Telco simply because the "real" Internet isn't connected to this version of IPTV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in