Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 01:58 AM

I upgraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSLN 6 View Post
The HDMI output works just fine. You could have 2 HD boxes and one internet connection on 2 lines coming into the house. Most times HD will be on a dry (no dialtone) cable pair.
For the moment, the box puts out 720P/480i/480P. No 1080i at the moment. Those of you with older televisions that will not display 720P can not use the component output on the box, you will have to use S-video. Still looks better than dvd though, even on S-vid.
Well that kind of answers my question then. I got upgraded to HD today, and have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can receive a signal on component video. With S_Vid im only watching Standard Definition, Right??

Virg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 02:55 AM

Things are changing quite fast now. There is a fix for the 1080i output, phone in and the technicians should be able to walk you through it. (You are basically changed over to a temporary server for 1080i until the permanent fix comes) It seems to be working pretty well so far.
post #48 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 09:02 AM

I have a Sony KDFE42A10 which has a native resolution of 720p. I am getting hooked up tomorrow. So if I leave everything as is my signal will come in 720p to the set?

post #49 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 11:39 AM

Thanks so much for the reply. Im feeling a little better about it already. I'll call tech support this evening and see what the have to say.

Virg.
post #50 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 03:47 PM

Got it today

The installer was here for 3 hours. He was outside for about an hour when he first got here, so he had to bring another line to our house, I think. My router & switch were replaced with two 2wire routers. I think one is for the HD line and the other is for internet and the 2nd SD box. The guide is a lot slower than the regular one, but you can watch tv as you are flipping through the guide so it's bearable. The picture is good, no problems so far. I'm waiting for prime-time to see what actual shows look like. If you want to stretch the SD 4x3 channels, there is a setting in the menu, but I haven't tried it yet. My tv does 720p, so it worked right away. The installer mentioned something about 1080i, but this looks good enough for now. The box came with a 5 in 1 component/RCA audio cord. I like it so far, but I bet my husband will miss the fast guide browsing.
post #51 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-03, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the info Sonya.
post #52 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-04, 05:56 PM

Tell your hubby not to worry, there are upgraded boxes coming hopefully by mid December. They will have double the memory, so that should cure any temporary slowness.
If your tv displays 720P right off the bat, you are good to go.
post #53 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-05, 03:55 PM

Talking A very happy customer!!

Had my install done yesterday. The HD portion went smoothly and everything seems to work well. Thanks to previous reports I had a toslink cable on hand so the 5.1 sounds amazing. The picture is also very good. Detail is amazing and I didn't notice any motion artifacting like I do with the SD signal. The picture did break up a couple of times but it was while I was changing channels a lot so that could be a memory issue.

These new boxes -- will they be automatically delivered or will I have to request one? I ask because the guide really is quite slow. Enough that it is actually a little annoying. Other than that though, two thumbs very highly up.
post #54 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 05:47 PM

ITs been a few days for me now. Once they got me running on 1080I, the picture has been great, and the 5.1 sound has been a treat.

Video occasionally freezes for 4 or 5 seconds on any HD channel.

I have had the STB freeze up at least a dozen times, while navigating the guide. A reboot has been the only way to fix it, which tends to be a real pain. Hopefully things will improve in the near future.
post #55 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 06:57 PM

The same thing has been happening to me. I called Sasktel and the tech. told me that this is a known issue and that they are working on it. He said there was supposed to be a firmware update last night. He also said that he would pass the report along since the more they can find out about these problems the better able they are to fix them.
post #56 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 11:51 PM

I had the same kind of problems with Access HD when they first started,and they got them worked out over time and I'm sure Sasktel will do the same.Just a few growing pains.
post #57 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 01:38 AM

Why do we put up with this sh*t?

It just blows me away that companies the size of SaskTel or Access can go through beta testing and then have these kinds of problems. Like the comment earlier about the really slow guide .. and the comment above about video dropouts and STB freezing. Come on guys ...how does basic stuff like this get missed in testing? .. or are they all using us as guinea pigs?

This reminds me of PC help desk calls where the first answer is always power off/on (followed by re-install the software) with no interest or logging of what the problem was. And this is basic delivery stuff .. they haven't even started with the PVR issues!!

Just wait for the marital bliss that's going to happen when, for some unknown reason, the PVR doesn't record your wife's favorite show and the tech support answer is "don't know .. try powering it off/on" .. been there, experienced it and it's not fun.

In fact, in the past 18 months on Access, I've gone through 6 PVR STBs (all the same manufacturer; the same model; the same firmware; the same guide software) that all behaved differently and I think we're finally now at about 21 days without a problem....so reset your expectations as to how long it's going to be until you're satisfied.
post #58 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-09, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Downtown Toronto • Toshiba 52XL177 • HD DVD Toshiba • Rogers HDPVR Cisco 8642
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
It just blows me away that companies the size of SaskTel or Access can go through beta testing and then have these kinds of problems. Like the comment earlier about the really slow guide .. and the comment above about video dropouts and STB freezing. Come on guys ...how does basic stuff like this get missed in testing? .. or are they all using us as guinea pigs?
To be fair, HD over SaskTel's type of network hasn't had much testing anywhere as it is so new. ST prolly only has a handful of customers on it themselves -- testing requires some "real time, production level" extended tests. Sasktel has 40,000 customers, not 21 million like a Comcast.

The good news is the techs will actually listen to your complaints at a company wih so few subscribers.
post #59 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 01:19 PM

I would have to agree. Yesterday a tech from Sasktel phoned and spent about an hour with me forcing various patches through to my system. He said most customers seem to be experiencing very little difficulty and that if I continued to have problems after these upgrades to phone and they would replace the STB. I expected a few bugs but am very happy with the level of service so far.
post #60 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-12, 03:45 AM

seriously. the skipping and freezing will never go away. sasktel is plauged with this for life. they are a phone provider.

you are trying to jam info via fibre optic down into a phone line.. you get whats called packet loss. you drop and loose channel information.

just so everyone else is aware. you have to pay $100 to disconnect your max hd service if you cancel within a year.

you cannot have anything higher than sasktel classic (1.5mbit) internet with the hdtv setup. and you can ONLY have one hd box setup.

that right there is a testament that there $400 million upgrade is still a harsh bottleneck already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in