Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-25, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker18 View Post
You may have one HD box and up to 3 more for a total of 4 televisions.
As a point of clarification, I think it's really 4 "devices" not 4 "televisions" so if you have a TV and VCR but watch one show on TV while you're taping something different on the VCR, then that's really 2 devices. I confirmed this yesterday at customer service at their head office location.

I also asked if the total of 4 could be 2 HD sets and 2 SD devices and after checking with technical support, I was told no. So, I think that also likely confirms the earlier comment about any HDPVR being only able to record one HD show at a time. A possible way around this would be to install/use a second telephone line into the house but I was told you'd also be billed the add'l $25 (or whatever it is after surcharges, 911 fees, taxes, etc) basic line charge.

I also asked about HD PVR function and after checking with technical support, I was told "not any time soon ... maybe later in 2007".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-28, 07:52 PM

For die-hard people who want an HD PVR with IPTV, specifically Sasktel in this thread, you can get Microsoft Windows Media Center: IPTV edition which will allow you to record IPTV signals: http://www.microsoft.com/tv/content/..._Overview.mspx

Anyways SaskTel must have a cozy relationship with Bell, its a complete duplicate of the Bell HD line up..
post #33 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 12:55 AM

Have you been in contact with Sasktel to make sure this would work with their system?

post #34 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 01:10 AM

Let me clarify, I am not sure on the HD component on the Windows Media IPTV, but its says it works with all provider (I am in MB not SK) just thought I would share the link.
post #35 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 01:26 AM

The HDMI output works just fine. You could have 2 HD boxes and one internet connection on 2 lines coming into the house. Most times HD will be on a dry (no dialtone) cable pair.
For the moment, the box puts out 720P/480i/480P. No 1080i at the moment. Those of you with older televisions that will not display 720P can not use the component output on the box, you will have to use S-video. Still looks better than dvd though, even on S-vid.
post #36 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 01:38 AM

Does anyone know which type of connectors Sasktel will supply with the HD box?
post #37 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1up View Post
I am curious to know how SaskTel will manage to provide HD when they can barely deliver a basic digital signal. As a package user, I find the phone and internet service to be outstanding but the Max service is really quite poor - my old Shaw analog signal was much easier on the eyes.

The square artifacts arising from quick motion are a constant distraction.
Sasktel is currently upgrading all their fiberoptics to increase bandwidth! By the beginning of 2007 they will be up to 40MBPS DOWN.. This is rediculous!!! Good Job Sasktel.

They will also be releasing PVR in a month or two...
post #38 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 07:10 PM

What proof do you have to back up the PVR... ?
post #39 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-29, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robblesworth View Post
Sasktel is currently upgrading all their fiberoptics to increase bandwidth! By the beginning of 2007 they will be up to 40MBPS DOWN.. This is rediculous!!! Good Job Sasktel.

They will also be releasing PVR in a month or two...
Will it be an HDPVR?
post #40 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-30, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Will it be an HDPVR?
No. Here's a quick recap of the two new set top boxes.

The first is the Motorola VIP1200. This is the high definition box and will be available along with the high-def service in early November. It has no hard drive and absolutely no PVR capabilities.

The other box will be a PVR but is only capable of standard definition. I do not know the manufacturer, model number or release date, but I have heard rumours that it is also a Motorola and will be out by the end of the year.

A high definition PVR is rumoured for late 2007. I don't imagine this will be an option until the entire fibre roll out is complete.

Most customers will continue to use the existing STBs from Pace. These weren't cheap and I'm sure SaskTel will want to get as much life out of them as possible.
post #41 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-10-31, 06:03 PM

Sonya, the HD box will come with a 5 in 1 component/audio cable. You will have to supply your own optical/HDMI cable if you need one.
post #42 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 11:24 AM

How do you know the PVR is only standard def?
post #43 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 11:57 AM

I have been told this by a service techs, tech support, and csrs from SaskTel.

Plus, if it was an HDPVR, don't you think SaskTel would be blowing their horns about it?
post #44 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 05:15 PM

Question

So, today is the first day that SaskTel is doing installs. Does anyone have any new insights into picture and sound quality? Do you indeed have to supply your own digital audio cable? Do they use the existing line or did a new one have to be installed?

Just curious.

Greg
post #45 of 274 (permalink) Old 2006-11-01, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
A high definition PVR is rumoured for late 2007. I don't imagine this will be an option until the entire fibre roll out is complete.
As a 'less than satisfied' Access HD customer for the last 18 months, I was hoping that I was finally going to have a local HD alternative, but if the above comment is true, then SaskTel really won't be an effective HD alternative for probably at least another 15-18 months from now by the time all the bugs have been worked out. And if the other comments about the troubles with the previous Max offering are any indication, my allowance of 3-6 months to sort out bugs is probably way too low .. especially considering they're claiming to be the first in North America to use this new technology. And by then, I'll probably have a second HD set in the house that I won't be able to connect because I only have a single line run in. How do they think they're going to be competitive when they're going to be coming to the scene over 3 years late with such restrictions? I'm really disappointed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in