Sasktel Max HDTV Discussion - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-04-09, 09:54 PM

Yet another tale of Woe

I got a brand new receiver Saturday. NAD 763, I thought it was oing to be sweet, well I get it home and the video switching is pooched, so back to the store with it for exchange (problem is is that it it has to be ordered in). So I take home a loner and start rewiring it in. In the process I accidently unplug the STB. Guess what. The signal is gone no audio and video. Nothing nada kaput.... SO I re-boot the STB nothing (I get the internal boot screen) so I reset the modem Nada. So I unplug and plug in the STB again nothing. OK time to phone my friends at Sasktel They cannot see the STB and gets 100% packet loss when he pings it. Try changing the cable, he says, OK whatever - nothing. Switched one router for the other nothing. Except now I cannot connect to the internet. OK reconfigure everything back to original - Now it gets weird again, I unplug the STB and plug it back in and VOILA! I get the signal and all is well. Has anyone had this happen before???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-04-16, 07:29 PM

Max Hd

I was also one of the people that hooked up to HD the first week it was offered. It has been a very rocky road, but for me at least, it is finally a reasonably stable product. I am finally happy with this product.

Virg.
post #138 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-04-17, 12:18 AM

Thats good that they were able to make it stable for you. enjoy your hd programming. thanks

post #139 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-04-18, 10:46 PM
Veteran

Good to know. I am also aware of one other customer that isn't having problems with SaskTel HD service.
post #140 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-04-19, 07:17 PM

I have to say that I am quite happy with my service lately as well. Drop outs are still present but rare (less than one per evening) and very short (1 sec.) In fact, I watched a Front Row movie on my 42" screen (SD) and even it seemed to be better than I remembered it.
post #141 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-05-30, 07:28 PM

Angry Sasktel is a piss off!

I'm going to rant so deal with it or skip to the next post....

So I bought myself a new Panasonic Plasma and then got Sasktel to upgrade me from SD to HD.

I should have known I'd be in for wacky ride from day one; I wasn't at home when the guys came to install the service. I left a new HDMI cable right beside the TV for them to use (over $100 for a Monster HDMI cable!!). When I got home I found out that not only did they not use the HDMI cable but instead gave me a new component cable, they also hooked up the the RCA cables too. So if I wanted, I could watch my HDTV on the inputs; Video 1 and Component 1! How dumb is that!? Half the reason for me going to HD was to rid myself of all the cables and consolidate to HDMI; my upconverting DVD uses one too.

So I ripped out all those ghetto cables and used my own HDMI and it was great for a month and a half...

All of a sudden the channels all come in black, the guide still works but no shows. HDMI seemed to be the culprit. Component works. I tried a different HDMI output and cable on my TV to make sure it wasn't my hardware flaking out. The 3rd Sasktel person I spoke with said HDMI doesn't work with their system even though it did for over a month. Also my internet and my 3 SDTVs are cutting in and out. The 1st 2 people at Sasktel told me that my TV is defective and that my iMac is configured improperly to explain away all my troubles.

I'm not happy. The internet is fine for now after a couple of modem resets and the TV is working on component. it's past the 30-day return policy for my expensive HDMI cables that I want to use but cannot. The freezing and other glitchy things mentioned earlier in this threat happens to me too.

Monopolies sucks. Sasktel has no real competition thus doesn't feel it needs to satisfy it's customers. I sell computers and whenever my customers have issues getting their sasktel wireless home networks to work with their new laptops, Sasktel blames the computer retailer for selling faulty machines. The funny thing is that when they come back to me with their laptops, the machine connects right away to our WiFi hotspot without issue. I can go on and on about how sasktel never takes ownership for it's incompetencies and tries to pass the buck.

I've met some great, intelligent folks at Sasktel. The installer who hooked up my plasma and hdbox with an RCA cable was not one of the them.

I'm not around much this summer so I'll leave things for now. But by fall, I will have an HDMI connected settop box, even if that means ditching sasktel.
post #142 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-06-01, 06:43 AM

SaskTel has no monopoly in the TV and internet markets. Their sometimes poor service is more a product of them being a Crown Corp.

Is anyone else having trouble with HDMI? SaskTel seems to discourage people from using it.

ps Don't waste your money on expensive HDMI cables. The digital signals go through cheap ones just as well.
post #143 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-06-21, 06:21 PM

I used to be the biggest complainer on these forums, but now I'm a big fan of Max HD. I do use HDMI for my 42" plasma, and it's worked fantastic. Also, people are crazy to fork over $100.00 for Monster cable. Go to B+E Industrial Electronics in Regina or Saskatoon, or Princess Auto. The way Future Shop, Visions, Circuit City etc rip people off bugs me. As for video quality, there won't be any difference between HDMI, DVI and component. Although HDMI is the most handy carrying the digital and audio.
post #144 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
It just blows me away that companies the size of SaskTel or Access can go through beta testing and then have these kinds of problems. Like the comment earlier about the really slow guide .. and the comment above about video dropouts and STB freezing. Come on guys ...how does basic stuff like this get missed in testing? .. or are they all using us as guinea pigs?

This reminds me of PC help desk calls where the first answer is always power off/on (followed by re-install the software) with no interest or logging of what the problem was. And this is basic delivery stuff .. they haven't even started with the PVR issues!!

Just wait for the marital bliss that's going to happen when, for some unknown reason, the PVR doesn't record your wife's favorite show and the tech support answer is "don't know .. try powering it off/on" .. been there, experienced it and it's not fun.

In fact, in the past 18 months on Access, I've gone through 6 PVR STBs (all the same manufacturer; the same model; the same firmware; the same guide software) that all behaved differently and I think we're finally now at about 21 days without a problem....so reset your expectations as to how long it's going to be until you're satisfied.
I'm blown away with the fact that I'm not the only "guinea pig" out there! I honestly thought I was alone in Sasktels playground.... ooops I meant "cage"
I've been tormeanted by Sasktel now for 16 months, and it's been nothing but lies, screwups, stupid techs who think they have some sort of technical knowledge because they can follow a script? I feel like I'm talking to some sort of malfunctioning droan when calling technical support.... I mean, I've been a tech for 10 years, a qualified tech for 5 and to have to call technical support? what the hell for? I am the technical support!!! In the end it never does get fixed..... I just get put back into the guinea pig cue......
CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET INTO MDC OR SRCCODE OF THE GATEWAY?
post #145 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-07-10, 05:15 AM

Wink guinea pig... sounds about right

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
It just blows me away that companies the size of SaskTel or Access can go through beta testing and then have these kinds of problems. Like the comment earlier about the really slow guide .. and the comment above about video dropouts and STB freezing. Come on guys ...how does basic stuff like this get missed in testing? .. or are they all using us as guinea pigs?

This reminds me of PC help desk calls where the first answer is always power off/on (followed by re-install the software) with no interest or logging of what the problem was. And this is basic delivery stuff .. they haven't even started with the PVR issues!!

Just wait for the marital bliss that's going to happen when, for some unknown reason, the PVR doesn't record your wife's favorite show and the tech support answer is "don't know .. try powering it off/on" .. been there, experienced it and it's not fun.

In fact, in the past 18 months on Access, I've gone through 6 PVR STBs (all the same manufacturer; the same model; the same firmware; the same guide software) that all behaved differently and I think we're finally now at about 21 days without a problem....so reset your expectations as to how long it's going to be until you're satisfied.
I'm blown away with the fact that I'm not the only "guinea pig" out there! I honestly thought I was alone in Sasktels playground.... ooops I meant "cage"
I've been tormeanted by Sasktel now for 16 months, and it's been nothing but lies, screwups, stupid techs who think they have some sort of technical knowledge because they can follow a script? I feel like I'm talking to some sort of malfunctioning droan when calling technical support.... I mean, I've been a tech for 10 years, a qualified tech for 5 and to have to call technical support? what the hell for? I am the technical support!!! In the end it never does get fixed..... I just get put back into the guinea pig cue......
CAN ANYONE HELP ME GET INTO MDC OR SRCCODE OF THE GATEWAY?
post #146 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-07-22, 09:37 PM

I currently have a pace box, but id like to get one of the new motorola ones so that i can more easily connect it to my media center pc, using ir blasters, etc.

Does Sasktel allow customers to trade in old hardware, or is this gonna cost me? I currently dont have hd yet, but i will probably within the year
post #147 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-07-22, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I currently have a pace box, but id like to get one of the new motorola ones so that i can more easily connect it to my media center pc, using ir blasters, etc.

Does Sasktel allow customers to trade in old hardware, or is this gonna cost me? I currently dont have hd yet, but i will probably within the year
You have to sign up for HD atm. At some point every new install, even for SD installs will be the Motorola STB since Pace doesn't make those boxes anymore. They ended up switching to Motorola since Pace had no interest in delivering a solution for HD. If you can't make an iR blaster work with the pace box, the moto box might not help you. Via software, the Motorola STB is set to use the same remote codes as the old Pace boxes so any old Sasktel remote will work with every box. Whether or not the Motorola STB will work with any other codes I don't know though.

AFAIK, if you order HD, they will upgrade you for free, and in fact, you get a promo price for the first two months for upgrading. After the initial promo you pay a slightly higher fee per month for HD.

Last edited by captaintrav; 2007-07-22 at 11:15 PM.
post #148 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-07-26, 05:17 PM

Soon you will be able to get the new Motorola 1206 DTVR. It is compatible with both standard and HD connections.

As far as the HDMI cables go, there are a few television manufacturers with HDMI inputs which do not work with Max which is why it cannot be supported fully.
post #149 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-09-08, 03:36 PM

Signed up to get a HDTV DVR this coming Thursday...hopefully no glitches like the HD rollout
post #150 of 274 (permalink) Old 2007-11-04, 12:28 PM

I have a HD dtvr service as well, no problems as of yet, so which is good for my money and everyone should be getting it cause it's alot cheaper than buying shaw's equipment.

It's all good and convenient.

I like it alot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in