IPTV Capture Cards?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2006-09-26, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Question IPTV Capture Cards??

Currently a TELUS TV Subscriber with a capture question.

Does anyone here use a PCI or External Capture Card with one of their TTV boxes or similar MTS, Sasktel, Aliant IPTV Boxes?
If so, I am curious which ones are working.

Are you able to change channels on your PC --- Having any success/problems setting up interval recording?

There are some IPTV capture cards on the market for $$$$'s.
I am hoping there are some in the $$$ range that will work.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2006-09-30, 01:25 AM

I have been using a ATI TV wonder USB and it works fine on my notebook for watching only. I would not use it for recording

On my desktop I have been using a plextor for recording. I have not been overall impressed with it. The model number is pvr px tv402U. I will say of the devices I have tried is so far it's the best. It is very reliable and doesn't cause other issues on my system so I stick with it.

Over all it seems to be hit and miss with alot them. Your just going to have shop the companies websites look around and see what apeals to you. The one thing I learned was that price was not always a good judge of how a good a device is.

Hope this helps.

PS. This is one case where firewire does help and prove worth it's money.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2006-10-08, 10:37 AM
Veteran

Except for HDTV, any normal video capture card or devcie will record the SD output from any IPTV/VDSL box.

You can use a normal IR blaster to control it, likely with Motorola or GI codes.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2006-10-08, 03:49 PM

Your exactly right. Any standard capture card should work.

As far as the Ir blast remotes I have no idea. So I am going to take your word on that.

Joshb
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2006-10-16, 02:36 PM

I just use my ethernet card and VLC. I'm not sure about TelusTV but on Sasktel Max, I use Wireshark to determine the multicast IP my settop is tuned to and then use VLC to open that stream. In VLC, I record the stream to my harddrive.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2006-10-17, 12:32 AM

That should work to. I never thought of that Idea. I am going to try that on my next day off. Thanx for the new idea.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-05-17, 05:41 AM

How do you setup VLC to play?

Regards
Lars
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2007-05-17, 11:45 AM

Sadly since my lost post on this Topic I no longer have TTV service. Telus ran into some major technical issues on my line that they had been battling with for quite some time (6 months) and finally it was decided to call it quit's. We were all at are witts end with it.

I do have friends who have the service and they due tinker with it as I was. When I have the time I do go over and play and help them.

Due my situation with work and my very unpredictable hours I have not had any time to really nail down the setup properly with my friends equipment.

Sorry,

Joshb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in