Sasktel Max Observations - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-09-28, 08:49 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob
They (SaskTel) can keep it up as long as there are tax payers in Saskatchewan. A Cable (private sector) can't because they don't have the profits of SaskPower, SaskEnergy and Saskeverything else to fall back on. Thus the Gov. in compitition with private sector debate in Sask. goes on.
I would think SaskTel can get by on their own without CIC shifting anything from the other Crowns. Some numbers I saw recently said they raked in a cool $950 million last year.

Although if you were meaning indirect support, that's probably a big factor. I don't doubt SaskEverything must buy their phone stuff from SaskTel at full fare, and vice versa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 04:29 PM

Sasktel Max for me is not an option, simply because of no HD and no Sunday Ticket.
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-10-10, 04:21 PM

i still want sasktel MAX...just to check it out....but its not im my community...its only in major citys...when i contacted SASKTEL and asked then when its going to be avaliable to us they said "We will release it to the public when it comes to your community"....leaving me with no idea??

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 04:46 AM

Quote:
You just stated the fallacy right there. The gov't makes the rules, the gov't enforces the rules. The gov't gives monopoly status to SaskTel. They are under no pressure whatsoever to price the service competitively or operate fairly.

Sasktel is a defacto monopoly in local phone access only but that's only because nobody has decided to compete against them. The CRTC required them to implement the infrastructure for local phone access competition back in 2001 or so. Local access rates (again regulated by the CRTC) are among the lowest in Canada.

All other Sasktel product lines are fully competitive - cellular, television, internet, Securtec alarms, etc. The only subsidized service Sasktel has rolled out that I know of is rural Highspeed, specifically CommunityNet and CommunityNet II.

I have MAX; call display on my TV rocks.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 11:32 AM

I was speaking with an IT guy with Max. It looks like 2006 should bring HDTV. They are working on the final details now as to what hardware to use. If this turns out to be true then Shaw might be in major trouble in Sask. The lack of HDTV is what holds me back from Max now.

Jeff

HiDef DLP . . . and lovin' it!!
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-11-04, 11:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowbodies
that's only because nobody has decided to compete against them.
It's not a matter of someone deciding to compete, it's that SaskTel controls the infrastructure and put up huge barriers of cost and complexity, in order to thwart competition. This conduct could be seen as anti-competitive and has been cited as one of the reasons the CRTC ruled against them in the recent VOIP decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowbodies
All other Sasktel product lines are fully competitive - cellular, television, internet, Securtec alarms, etc. The only subsidized service Sasktel has rolled out that I know of is rural Highspeed, specifically CommunityNet and CommunityNet II.
I can't speak for all the product lines you describe but I can say that an independent Max is nowhere near competitive. The R&D alone probably exceeds revenues. But more significantly, the (true) advertising and promotion costs of Max are huge, far too huge to be supported by revenues or any realistic projection of revenues. That makes this a subsidized service.
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 2005-11-05, 05:20 AM

Quote:
I can't speak for all the product lines you describe but I can say that an independent Max is nowhere near competitive. The R&D alone probably exceeds revenues. But more significantly, the (true) advertising and promotion costs of Max are huge, far too huge to be supported by revenues or any realistic projection of revenues. That makes this a subsidized service.
You need to take an accounting class. MAX R&D expenditures result in assets that are amortized. The question you should be asking is whether Sasktel's revenues from MAX exceeds it's MAX operating costs plus amortization costs.

According Sasktel 2004 Annual report, MAX subscribers surpassed 25000. That number is surely much higher by now. At (wag) an average $70 per month you're looking at revenues $21M per year.

It's your turn now. I provided you with reasonable revenue numbers. Let's see you prove your point with some actual cost figures.

http://www.sasktel.com/about_sasktel/financial_reports/

(wag) my wild assed guess is based on the average price for MAX bundles advertised on Sasktel's website rounded to the nearest $10. Ancillarary revenues from products such as Front Row and TV call display were assumed to be zero.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-01-09, 08:02 PM

Free Max (y)

The only thing keeping me using Sasktel Max is that you can receive all their subscription content with a basic subscription using VLC and sniffing out the multi-cast IP's for each channel.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-01-09, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearmachine
The only thing keeping me using Sasktel Max is that you can receive all their subscription content with a basic subscription using VLC and sniffing out the multi-cast IP's for each channel.
I'm sure this doesn't belong here. There are sites that specialize in stealing TV. Go find them.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-02-05, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam
I'm sure this doesn't belong here. There are sites that specialize in stealing TV. Go find them.
Me thinks pappcam works for sasktel.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-02-07, 08:58 AM
Member #1

methinks pappcam is honest.

fearmachine has been banned for this and another thread that solicited information for hacking Sasktel.

DHC does not condone signal piracy

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-02-17, 11:50 PM

Employees at Sasktel can tell what kind of multicast traffic is coming down the pipe, and yes, they do know where you live. Not worth your time.........
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-02-21, 12:46 PM

I can tell you 1st hand that they know exactly where you are. Back in November, I hooked my brother-in-law up with all of the multicast addresses and showed him how to view all of the channels on his PC. For Christmas, he asked for a video card with TV out so that he can watch them on his TV. Two weeks ago he was called by Sasktel for viewing channels that he did not subscribe too.

I myself had Sasktel up until last week and I can honestly say that I had been known for making the odd transport stream capture, but more often than not I used it to watch channels that I subscribed to in the kitchen on my laptop where there isn't a TV. Especially in the morning so that my kids could watch TV while they ate breakfast.

If SaskTel is concerned about people tapping into channels that they do not subscribe to, then perhaps they should do what any responsible cable/sat company would do and encrypt their channels. Right now any 12 yr old with an Internet connection could be capturing Playboy/Hustler and making DVD's for all of his friends.

Just to add, is it signal theft if you use the technology to view channels that you subscribe to on your PC? You are still limited to 2 simultaneous connections whether it be PC or STB.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-02-25, 03:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg
I can tell you 1st hand that they know exactly where you are. Back in November, I hooked my brother-in-law up with all of the multicast addresses and showed him how to view all of the channels on his PC. For Christmas, he asked for a video card with TV out so that he can watch them on his TV. Two weeks ago he was called by Sasktel for viewing channels that he did not subscribe too.
In the scenario you are describing, is the user (your brother in law) a non-subscriber that is connecting to publicly available servers to watch TV?

Or is it that he's a subscriber, he's just using something to view certain channels he hasn't subscribed to?

From what I know in the first instance they could probably see who is contacting their server. But in the second you'd think they wouldn't know what is happening.

In the first scenario I'd wonder why they don't just use private, non-routable network? You'd think that should be fairly effective for keeping people out.

Again not condoning anything here, just trying to get a handle on how these systems work.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 2006-02-25, 12:00 PM

You need to subscribe to Sasktel MAX before you can access any of their channels. Just being a Sasktel high speed customer does not give you access, I tried. They subscribe to MAX but are viewing channels that they are not paying for. They are unencrypted and for some reason Sasktel hasn't employed any type of technology to prevent it from happening. I was told that they plan to use encryption with their next set top boxes as their current ones do not support it. As for how they can tell, with Multicasting your PC or STB needs to send an IGMP v2/v3 join command to the server to tell it which stream it wants to access. They can tell who is joined to any channel at any one time. It would then just be a matter of looking up if they are paying for that channel. I imagine it would be extremely difficult to check everyone, so I imagine they just randomly check whos accessing the big pay channels (Playboy, Hustler etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in