Max and High Speed Extreme - Seems to be Possible Now, wasn't a year or 2 ago - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-02-05, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Max and High Speed Extreme - Seems to be Possible Now, wasn't a year or 2 ago

A year or 2 back We had made an Inquiry about bumping up to High Speed Extreme from High Speed Plus. Problem was that we have Max. They told us that we would need a new line and instead of costing us $10 more a month for a simple speed bump, it would cost $60+ more a month and a whole lot of trouble.

I needed the new speed already (I Game Online and Torrent all the time, so speed is crucial, and my Mom and Dad agreed to the speed bump), so we inquired again today. We're still not on infiNET in our part of town, so we're stuck on Copper DSL.

They asked what modem we have (A 2WIRE 3800HGV-B), we told them, and then they said that they could do it, but they would have to come out and do something to the modem.
I believe they said something like "to do this kind of setup, this particular firmware build was built separately from the rest"

They're coming on Saturday. I'll update you guys when it's done and I've done speed and ping tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-02-09, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, the installation went great.
Turns out they had to get a 2nd line turned on, so we now have 2 modems. Nothing to do with firmware as I was hoping it was.

Getting speeds as advertised. 10/0.8 Megabits per second.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-02-21, 01:09 PM
Rookie

but they are still only charging for Max + HS extreme upgrade instead of Max TV only & HS Extreme separate?

Maybe they have more hardware available that would otherwise go unused now that people are swapping to Fiber.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-02-22, 01:00 PM
DHC Supporter

That is good news, but in Melville we cant upgrade only in larger centers. Regina Saskatoon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-02-24, 12:46 PM

Yeah, I'd love to get faster internet as well

we've got 4tvs, so 2x 3801 modems already

Modems sync up at 50+ mbps each, so I'd love to change the speed profile for sure

Modem Type: Built in modem - VDSL
DSL Line RJ-11
Down Up
Rate: 35006 kbs 783 kbs
Max Rate: 61373 kbs 9137 kbs
Noise Margin: 17.7 dB 26.2 dB
Attenuation: 15.5 dB 15.8 dB
Output Power: 13.4 dBm -10.3 dBm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-02-26, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Got an update on the price, $50 more a month. This is because they had to hook up a dry line (no dial tone) and they DO NOT do "bundle savings" when you have Internet on a dry line and Max on a regular phone line AKA everything is separate.

We are switching back to High Speed Plus without the dry line Tomorrow. We are very ticked off ATM.

I honestly thought it would be only $10 more a month, so we went for it. Sadly, that's not the case.

Last edited by urbanracer34; 2013-02-26 at 08:25 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-03-14, 06:16 PM

When I called yesterday to get it hooked up, they told me about the extra cost for the dry line right up front because I already had extreme. I'm fine with downgrading to plus and having the 2 hd TV's because our torrenting is pretty much nonexistent now with the new law changes in Canada. I have no desire to have the recording or motion picture associations suing me. The PVR functionality is what we wanted anyway.

AMD Sempron 2400+, 300&160GB HDD's, 512RAM, PVR150, MCE2005 Rem/Blast, GB-PVR, Star Choice 301, Xbox w/ XBMC, Netgear Wireless Adaptor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in