Sasktel Max and Slingbox - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sasktel Max and Slingbox

I tried to search forums for answers with no luck.

Has anyone tried to hookup SlingBox to the SaskTel Max HDPVR (I don't know the model number I just know it's Motorola STB)?

Is there a proper remote control available and does this solution even work with our STB?

Also I am worried about issues like Internet throughput when streaming yet another TV and is this legal in Canada (SaskTel might have some restrictions in place that would make this against SaskTel policies or something of that nature...).

Thanks for your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Also I am worried about issues like Internet throughput when streaming yet another TV and is this legal in Canada (SaskTel might have some restrictions in place that would make this against SaskTel policies or something of that nature...).
"Place-shifting" is not illegal. There are content providers that dislike the Slingbox, but once you get it running, you may watch what you want, wherever you want.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 02:00 PM

Slingbox works with the Motorola VIP12XX hardware running Microsoft Mediaroom. Mediaroom is used by AT&T in the U.S. as well as Sasktel, Telus, MTS, Bell Fibe and Aliant in Canada. When you set it up, you can use the codes for AT&T.

When you are streaming a Slingbox, the most important factor is the upload speed of the Slingbox location. There won't be any effect on the download speed of the other TVs connected to Sasktel Max.

You can read comments from other Digital Home users about searching for Slingbox in the forums on Telus, Fibe, etc.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 10:39 AM

The Slingboxes work pretty good but don't last long. They are made with cheap components and large numbers have failed due to cheap capacitors. You should look at a competitive product from Monsoon Multimedia called the Vulkano. It's cheaper and uses the h264 codec for video so you can get a better picture with low bandwidth. Slingbox uses WMV and it takes a lot of bandwidth to get a good picture over the internet.

http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/pro...cano_flow.html

I am not 100% that they will ship it to Canada, but I bought one on my last trip and it works good and has real good ipad and iphone apps to go with it and that's important.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-11-28, 01:32 PM
Veteran

I used to use and recommend Slingbox but when they started charging big bucks for client software I decided they no longer deserve the business.

The only buyers for their client software would be existing customers who already paid the high price for their average-quality hardware. Slingbox sticking it to their existing customers a second time is just wrong.

So I'm up to trying Vulkano, but which models/prices do you recommend?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 11:13 AM

I've had a hava platinum for a couple years (the precursor to the vulkano line)

I've had quite a few problems with it, and it actually died completely on my about a month ago

Hava Monsoon has done a really poor job supporting their product, and despite it being generally superior to Sling, I would NOT recommend it at all.

You could also look into the old sony locationfree units

I've got a couple, and in general they're pretty good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in