'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-11-15, 06:13 PM
Rookie

Does anyone know the default password to access Sasktels ActionTec V1000H Gateway is? They seem to use some custom firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-11-16, 03:21 PM

After getting infinet, the instructions I received for setting up the wireless network, it said the default system password can be found on the bottom of your Actiontec Gateway labelled Wireless Security Key. Not sure if that is what you need or not.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-11-18 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post immediately above yours.
post #78 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-11-17, 07:45 PM
Rookie

Thank you deadsimon, that was indeed what I was wanting! It can be used to access the control panel at http://172.16.1.254/

post #79 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-01-27, 11:57 AM
Rookie

I'll be getting sasktel infinet on Feb 13th and I am planning on replacing the actiontec router with my own linux firewall. Does anybody know if sasktel is similar to bell's fibreop in terms of using vlans to separate internet and tv? At first I was fairly confident that sasktel would do things that way until I discovered that telus does things with no vlans.
post #80 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-02-08, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Just thought I'd follow up on this. Got my fibre install early. Signed up for 100 down 20 up. Also got 3 max digital boxes (no hd). When things were first installed I could only get 75 down and 12 up. Nobody seemed to concerned about that when I called. All they told me was that the speed is still very fast.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I eventually discovered the problem. The actiontec router sucks. After some packet sniffing I learned that sasktel is using vlan id 1000 for both tv and max. Max uses IGMP.

I have a manged gigabit switch. I set created a new vlan 1000 with 3 ports; port 22, 23, 24. Port 24 is tagged and goes to the ONT. Port 23 is also tagged and goes to the actiontec (all my tvs run off of this via coax). Port 22 untagged goes to my linux firewall with dual gigabit cards. My home network is behind the linux firewall.

Now I can max out my connection on servers that support it.

Just thought I'd share my findings. It took me a few days to figure it all out thanks to absolutely no help from sasktel themselves.
OddyOh likes this.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-08-08 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post above yours.
post #81 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-02-11, 05:50 PM
Rookie

eradicator006 - wow, that's some heavy networking. I haven't had any problem with speed on my network. I am hitting between 97 and 100 Mbs down consistently. Not too many servers/services that support that kind of speed. At least that I can notice (maybe I am just not hitting the right servers ).

Thanks for this though. It some nice ideas. Do you know if one can activate the second LAN output of the ONT for secondary V-Lan? I am guessing not.
post #82 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 10:36 AM
Rookie

new boxes? Or at least more tuners on pvr?

I'm with shaw right now and am thinking of switching. Because I despise shaw as a company.

Anyways with the new infinite does any one know if it'll be possible to have more tuners available on the pvr? With the shaw gateway it has 6 tuners. And I do make use of almost all of them at some point almost every day.

I hate the sasktel pvr. Its junk compared to the shaw gateway.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-04-14 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #83 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Picture quality compared to shaw

I've had max years ago and at that time picture quality was not great. Shaw in HD was much better and when I had bell tv it was of course hands down better than sasktel. But that isn't surprising to me.

How is the quality now though? I assume that with infinite the picture quality should get even better with the better speeds?

It would be nice to hear from someone that recently switched from shaw to sasktel.
post #84 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-04-14, 11:50 AM

macdonaldp, Sasktel says that one of the advantages of infiNET is that you can have 6 HD STBs in addition to the whole home PVR. Their web site doesn't say how many channels you can record at once, but other providers can record up to 4 channels at once using the same hardware.
post #85 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Does anyone use newsgroups on Infinet?
I just changed over to the Infinet service and it looks like I am capped at 2.4 MB/s.
When I do a speed test I get around 20 Mbps down, and 5 Mbps Up.
I am on astraweb, I have tried different ports/SSL/Servers.
Anyone get faster speeds on different newsgroups?
Thanks
post #86 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 07:00 AM

2.4MB/s (MegaBYTE) is ~20 Mbp/s (MegaBIT). So you're getting the speeds you are supposed to be getting.
post #87 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 12:08 PM
Rookie

eradicator006, I need your help on some technical details/advice. I just moved to a new place and have infinet hooked up. I have been phoning SaskTel trying to ask them to turn on the bridge mode on ONT so I could get multiple public ip address and have my home server connected. They are keep saying no, they can't do it. Looks like the actiontec router is doing some handshaking (or verifying mac address) with SaskTel side to get an ip address. none of my network devices could get an ip. are you able to get ride of the actiontec router?
post #88 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-08-24, 11:02 PM

abu0724, I was changed over to Infinet about 2 months ago and tried to replace the Actiontec router with my own. Sasktel told me that was not possible as the system was designed to work only with their Actiontec and customer owned routers are not supported. I ragged on them for a month, tried to get my ticket escalated to tier 2 and 3 support, was promised someone would call me to help me fix my port forwarding issue, but no one called back. I finally gave up and fixed the port forwarding issue myself, some issues with networking still remian, anyway here is an interesting link for some one who wants to followup further on this issue:
http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=148062
Some guys on Bell Aliant FiberOP have been able to replace the Actiontec with an Asus RT-N56U, looks interesting and might be a possibily if someone has one of these to try. My Linksys E4200v2 did not work

Last edited by dms100tech; 2013-08-25 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling
post #89 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 01:50 AM
Rookie

Sorry for the late follow up on this. I got the same crap from SaskTel. But after I took another read with eradicator006's post, I realized what I missed. vlan 1000. I have a managed switch as well. so I assign port 1&2 on my switch with vlan id 1000. port 1 tagged, port 2 untagged. connect port 1 to the ont and port 2 to my router. it finally started to work.
post #90 of 121 (permalink) Old 2013-08-27, 01:53 AM
Rookie

and just another thought. if you do not have a managed switch, using a low cost dd-wrt compatible router might work as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in