'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-09, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanracer34 View Post
@lubras: Could you please scan in and post the pamphlet?
Will do so tomorrow from work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-09, 12:47 PM
Rookie

infiNET information

OK, sorry I really can't scan the pamphlet at the moment, but here is all the important information off of it:

--------------------
Faster Downloads with infiNET
--------------------

------------------------Current down/up---------After infiNET down/up
High Speed Classic------1.5Mbps/384Kbps------------2Mb/1Mb
------------Plus--------5M/640K---------------------8M/2M
------------Extreme----10M/800K--------------------20M/4M
------------Ultra-------25M/2M----------------------50M/10M
*New Mach I-----------------------------------------100M/20M
*New Mach II----------------------------------------200M/30M

Also if you want to you can be bumped to the next tier for 6 months free. So if you are currently on Plus as I am you will have 8Mbps upload (instead of 5Mbps) and 2Mbps download (instead of 640Kbps) and be bumped to 20Mbps/4Mbps for 6 months for free.

There is also an option to double the upload speed for $10/month (Mach II can get up to 200Mbps down and 60Mbpsdown with the double download option.)

The Sasktel Max customers will be able to have up to 7 HD PVRs in one household at the time (including the "whole house PVR" - the start watching in one room, finish in the other option). You can also get Max HD PVR plus the up to Mach I high speed on the same line.

That's all the information from the pamphlet.

Also I received an letter from SaskTel saying that they will need easement to my property in next 1 to 2 weeks to run the fiber from the pedestal. So they booked me in for installation before they told me they will be running fiber in my property (but of course the in house install will be after the fiber is in conduit)

Any other questions?

Lubos

Last edited by lubras; 2012-10-09 at 02:12 PM. Reason: formatting
post #63 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-15, 01:31 AM
Rookie

I have had the fiber ran to my house through the conduit for several months now (in Stonebridge). I decided to give SaskTel a call on Friday just to see if there have been any updates and apparently I am able to upgrade.

I booked for Nov 1 (closest date I could get) and was also told it would be a few hour job. The customer service rep who I spoke with was very good. She said it was her first appointment she has booked for the upgrade and she sounded very excited.

She also offered me the 6 month promo where you double your speed for free. After the 6 months its an extra $10. Excited to try the new network!

I suggest if you are in any new area (Stonebridge, Willowgrove, Hampton Village, Evergreen, Rosewood) to call and see if you are eligible...likely a good chance you are.

post #64 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-27, 10:46 AM
Rookie

once you get this could you tell us what speeds you are getting?

I also have a few questions that I will be asking sasktel
1. once the fiber network comes online will the old copper based system be abandoned?
2. right now the way things work is there is a "junction box" outside houses. sasktel's line and the home line comes to this thing. Will the fiber system use something like this or is it going straight into the house like shaw is doing now? I know this might not be possible for some but for my case were my electrical panel is right behind the meter.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-10-27 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the immediately preceding post.
post #65 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-27, 10:12 PM
Rookie

With the big telcos spending billions to deploy FTTH, I wonder if the independent ISPs will be allowed to resell that new top tier service immediately or if the CRTC will grant the telcos a certain exclusive period to recoup their investment.

With the fiber reaching the house, the concept of " Last mile " made of copper could becomes irrelevant.

Anybody has some info on this ?
post #66 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 02:35 PM
Rookie

So I had my fiber installed on Saturday.

It actually went quite fast. It was about 3 hour job but only because the guy had a problem with line.

So there was only one installer and he was great (called about an hour in advance and came about 15mins earlier then the SaskTel rep told me over the phone.

They do want to know if the basement is finished or not.

When it's unfinished it's very easy for them to run it inside the house. They came inside my house right where all the other phone lines and shaw cables are. When the basement is finished, he told me they try to run the conduit on the outside of the house to the point of entry closest to the panel (presumably in the unfinished part of basement).

The line they ran already has connectors spliced at both ends so the installer just has to connect it in the pedestal and then into your new equipment.

He did have problem with my line between my pedestal and the main hub. It was dirty (they can measure the light output and this one had lower then required) so he had to switch to different port. In my pedestal there is 4 ports but only 3 people using it so it's non issue at this point. They might have to change that line in the future.

Once he has done that, he tested it, tested the phone and internet and everything was dandy.

I am getting my speed of between 8 and 10 MB/s (I am on highspeed plus, haven't activated the free upgrade yet) and 2MB/s down.

There was a question about whether the copper will get abandoned. I do believe that's the case. They switch over ALL the services to fiber once they do the installation. I don't think SaskTel will be reusing the infrastructure. That doesn't mean however they can't sell it/rent it in the future.

L.
post #67 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 03:03 PM
Rookie

just heads up

I just called SaskTel to activate the free upgrade from 8MB/s to 20/MBs for 3 months for free.

Well I found out that the modem they installed on Saturday is not good enough for 20MB/s so they will have to come to my house again and replace it.
If you guys plan on doing that free upgrade I would tell them ahead of time to bring the better modem and do it all at the same time.

Also I had slight issue where my long distance used to go through YAK few years back but then I switched to SaskTel. Once they did this conversion to fiber SaskTel thought that I should be on YAK for some reason and the YAK account is long deactivated so I ended up not having any long distance for couple of days.

But not a big deal, a phone call solved both of these minor problems.

L.
post #68 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-29, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

@lubras: Can you please post model numbers for the equipment installed/will be installed?
post #69 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 11:00 AM
Rookie

At the moment I just remember the model number of the Gateway but will update with more later.

Gateway - Actiontec V1000H

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanracer34 View Post
@lubras: Can you please post model numbers for the equipment installed/will be installed?
post #70 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-30, 11:19 PM
Rookie

wonder if shaw will be going fiber anytime soon?
Would like my backyard torn up once instead of twice, wonder if I can set something up with shaw and sasktel to run 2 conduits at once? I don't care if I have to pay for it it will just be easier when/if the time comes for shaw to upgrade. maybe run 3 sasktel fiber and copper, shaw? I am trying to clean up that area and am thinking if different ways to do it and keep it nice looking.

you have internet and phone using fiber? I am just curious on how the hardware works
example
fiber comes into 1 device then what? modem for internet? what about telephone?
I am mainly wondering how many pieces there are to get something setup
post #71 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 02:40 PM
Rookie

Here is a document I found about the SaskTel guidelines for contractors.
http://www.sasktel.com/attachments/s...guidelines.pdf

It talks about all the equipment that is involved and any other specifics that need to be followed to properly install the fiber.

It includes all the model numbers of all the equipment.

I did not get the network switch since the Gateway has already 4 or 5 ports built in plus wifi, plus the ONT has couple spare ports on it. This was plenty for my use.

To answer your question about telephone line:

Yes, the fiber comes to your house, it plugs into ONT. ONT has network ports on it and POTS ports on it. One Network port goes to the Gateway which does the distribution of internet in your house including the Max and one POTS port goes to your telephone splitter that should be installed close to this location (it is in any newer house for sure).

Then he plugs the ONT into the Battery pack that is installed right next to it. I think only the ONT has the batare backup to make sure your phoneline is working during outage.

The whole installation (all 3 pieces of equipment) takes up only about 2' by 1.5' area on my wall.

L.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-10-31 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post immediately above yours.
post #72 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-31, 03:06 PM
Rookie

Just to quickly answer your phoneline question:

The fiber comes to your house to the location of your current services. The installer will install ONT, Gateway and a battery pack.

Fiber comes to your ONT which has 2 types of connections.

It has network ports from where the cable goes to the Gateway which distributes the network to your house with wired and Wifi connections.

ONT also has 2 POTS connections from which you will have cable going to your phone splitter.

The ONT is connected to battery pack so that you have access to phoneline during the outage.

The whole installation (all 3 pieces of equipment) only take up around 2' by 1.5' area on my wall.

Here is more information about the whole ordeal including the model numbers of the equipment used:

http://www.sasktel.com/attachments/s...guidelines.pdf

By-the-way I don't think shaw is coming up with fiber anytime soon. I don't think they have fiber anywhere in canada yet (if they even have any plans for it in the future) and I am pretty sure they won't start with Saskatoon. So chances are that SaskTel will be done with their conversion before Shaw will even start their upgrade.

L.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-10-31 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Please don't quote the post immediately above yours.
post #73 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-11-01, 10:35 PM
Rookie

I had a SaskTel guy come over tonight to "replace" my modem to support higher speed.

Right off the bat he was telling me that he doesn`t understand what he is supposed to do. So I explained my phonecall to SaskTel support and he chuckled. Said that the fiber ONT (modem) can handle all the speeds (up to 200MB/s at least I assume). There is no multiple modems like there was for copper. So he ran a quick speed test (which I should have done myself) and turns out I already have my 20MB/s.
So he was here for whole 2 minutes

I am a happy camper now.

L.
post #74 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-11-06, 12:02 AM
Rookie

Have had infinet the past few days and everything is good. Installation is exactly how lubras described.

I took the 6 month promo to double my speeds and am consistently getting my exact advertised speeds, 20mbit down/4mbit up, regardless of time of day.
post #75 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-11-07, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Sounds just like Sasktel DSL... Lived in 3 different cities, 5 different places... and consistently... if you pay for 5mbit... 10mbit, that's what you get... 5pm or 5am.

With Shaw you seem to get faster than what you're paying for at off peak hours... but during prime usage periods... you get significantly less than you're paying for, at least that was my experience on multiple occasions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in