'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 07:26 PM

I only see a schedule for Saskatoon and Regina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Great... My place won't get it until "2014 and beyond". Guess I'm stuck with 60 kilobytes per second for a couple years yet. Oh well, at least I have time to overhaul my family's network infrastructure.
post #48 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-10, 07:15 PM
Rookie

now that Shaw has some competition for their faster offerings... you could always jump ship and go to them for faster services (at least in the short term until Sasktel fiber is available)

post #49 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-11, 11:56 AM

In Regina we're stuck with Access - fastest they offer is 10/1. Although I keep hearing rumors they'll be increasing speeds in the near future.
post #50 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-12, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Hey so I am curious about the protocol that sasktel will be using with the fibre or infinet?
They are currently using some variant of dsl for high speed what is it for infinet?
post #51 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-12, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryl411 View Post
Hey so I am curious about the protocol that sasktel will be using with the fibre or infinet?
They are currently using some variant of dsl for high speed what is it for infinet?
The protocol used in infiNET will probably be GPON. This is to ensure easy potential future expansion. Source is the manual here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/61247860/I...outer_page_236

If you want more information on what is going into a sfu (Single Family Unit) there is a guide for developers located here: http://www.sasktel.com/attachments/s...guidelines.pdf. It includes installation procedures and what hardware will be installed.
post #52 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-12, 09:08 PM
Rookie

2014 and beyond in my area. I was hoping it would be sooner as I am in the outer lakerage area and rosewood is fairly close.

I wonder if I should talk to sasktel about mounting options as I am also planning on redoing my service and panel in the near future. The panel is right behind the meter so it is a short run for them. Hell I can even mount a box and run some pvc conduid and a downpipe for them to use. maybe use it for copper and fiber if copper is still being used once the fiber network is fully up and running.

I signed up giving my permission to treach and do what ever to my yard and am waiting for a fourm to come for me to sign.
post #53 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-21, 06:17 PM

Location: Grande Prairie, AB 1x3400M, 1xDCX700, 1xSB5680 NW, Wii, PS3
While I applaud SaskTel for putting together a manual like that I am yet in my years of installation experience ever seen an electrician who could crimp cable or run it properly (I'm talking new homes). Especially when it comes to tying everything in at the data centre near the electrical panel. Plus they never leave enough cable in the wall for when you have to come in to the install and have to change every end!
post #54 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-21, 11:09 PM

Does anybody know how the install process works? There is aerial fibre running along the utility poles in the back of my place and coiled loops tied up behind each house, I assume these are the individual drop lines. Will Sasktel come down the street and run the line to each house all at once or only run the lines to subscribers as needed? In my case the drop is buried from the pole to my house, although everyone else on the steet has an areial drop.

My area is scheduled for installation in 2012 (Regina lakeview) but I havent heard anything from Sasktel yet.
post #55 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-23, 06:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
While I applaud SaskTel for putting together a manual like that I am yet in my years of installation experience ever seen an electrician who could crimp cable or run it properly (I'm talking new homes). Especially when it comes to tying everything in at the data centre near the electrical panel. Plus they never leave enough cable in the wall for when you have to come in to the install and have to change every end!
problem is they don't care to much about the low voltage stuff as there really isn't any codes, just common scence. I tend to leave lots plus a loop int eh wall so if it does need more you can pull it down, panel side is a bit of an issue sometimes as you want to keep it nice looking with not so much unused wire to be seen. I tend to put the block on the bottom of the panel and a small loop at the top. This way is they want to relocate it somewere else that is close they can. Also we are only obligated to connect tel only not max or anything like that unless the customer wants it.
post #56 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-26, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Just thought I'd report in that there are now infiNET commercials running on the TV featuring Little Red and Cindi. I saw one about 10-15 minutes ago.
post #57 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-27, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Has anyone in Saskatoon been offered the upgrade yet? I am in Stonebridge and I get this when searching their availability tool:

Fibre facilities are to the pedestal, no conduit/aerial available and Fibre facilities have been deployed to the area, conduit/aerial available: SaskTel infiNET is available in your area but has not yet been extended to your property. If you would like to take advantage of services exclusive to infiNET customers, we will extend the network to your home. Call us at 1-888-492-6261 to sign up for infiNET or go to sasktel.com/infinet to learn more.

I noticed they have ran the cable from the pedestal to my house. It is coiled up against the outside of my house.
post #58 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-03, 06:29 PM
Rookie

Just made an appointment

SaskTel called me yesterday and we made an appointment for the installers to come to my house and do the switchover. Supposedly it will be 3-4 hour install.

Also the pamphlet describing the new features came in my mail the same day.

I noticed that about 2 weeks ago someone was in my backyard and they put a rubber boot on my empty conduit (no fiber yet) so I assume they just checked it out and made sure it doesnt get dirty in the meantime.

Also I am in Stonebridge, in Saskatoon.

L.

PS If you have any questions, let me know.
post #59 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-03, 06:58 PM
Veteran

Looked at the rollout schedule... looks like it is many years away for most people. Not sure why they'd spend so much promoting now, as most people who would respond to the ads would then find out they're not eligible.
post #60 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-10-04, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

@lubras: Could you please scan in and post the pamphlet?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in