'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 11:04 PM
Rookie

oops I know fiber and cat 5/6 are diffrent. my main concern was if I should do it now and not have to worry about it when the time comes to use fiber in the home. Right now any twisted pair will be min cat 6.

I know I wont see fttp to my home for a few years but I would like to see if my neighbors would be interested in at least running a pipe to the pedistal in the back yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-24, 04:13 AM

I did some work fairly recently for the local telco, installing FTTH. What they actually did, in the buried neighborhoods (the old ones that didn't have fiber roughed in within the past ~5 yrs) was run the new infrastructure down the front street and have us run the fiber on the ground until a company comes by a pushes that exact line into the ground.

So what I'm trying to say is, don't assume they will put the fiber tubs in the same spot as the copper.

I saw some weird stuff too. One street was fed by aerial in the back, but the fiber was buried down the front street.

The thing that blew me away was that they have us remove the copper lines once the fiber's running (in the case of aerial.) It just seemed like a bad idea, but really, it makes sense now. Hard to believe we are at the point of abandoning traditional landline phones, a tried-and-true technology. Mind you, DSL was a stop-gap technology.

I also find it interesting how new areas here are fiber only. For the longest time, they were running copper/fiber combo cable. But I guess they had to do that for the transition period. Mind you, I havent done any migrations with this type of cable.

Anyway, I'll shut up now

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-24, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I did some work fairly recently for the local telco, installing FTTH. What they actually did, in the buried neighborhoods (the old ones that didn't have fiber roughed in within the past ~5 yrs) was run the new infrastructure down the front street and have us run the fiber on the ground until a company comes by a pushes that exact line into the ground.

So what I'm trying to say is, don't assume they will put the fiber tubs in the same spot as the copper.
Thanks for acknowledging this. My Dad was scared they would have to rip up two yards (Mine and a neighbors) to get fiber in our house.

If you or anyone has any information on the ONTs in particular, go ahead and say it if you can.

post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-25, 01:19 AM

@urbanracer34, I'm not sure which ONTs Sasktel is using. Here is a pic of an MTS fibre installation with an ONT and the 2Wire router that MTS uses to help you visualize the components.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/albu...pictureid=3998
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-25, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

@Dr. Dave.
Thanks for the picture, this will definitely help
I know they're going to use Actiontec routers - that's been confirmed by searching "actiontec" on SaskTel's support website, and maybe 2Wire equipment as well, but I think the ONT Sasktel's using are designed and built by Alcatel-Lucent.
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-26, 12:56 AM

If this still uses the 2Wire router, will it need a different one?

This is mainly because we had been having some issues lately with it, and I'm beginning to wonder if it would be a waste of time replacing it if it's going to be replaced anyway.

(But thenagain, replacing it might be, aside from redoing the wi-fi passwords, relatively painless in comparison)

And also, InfiNET. While it might rank alongside Xfinity and Exo, in some opinions, as a cheesy name, at least they aren't rebranding the triple play with that name (Max is still the IPTV service)
post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-29, 10:47 PM

Will this be available for apartments?
post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-07-03, 01:57 PM
Veteran

You dont need to bring fiber into the house directly, just to the Demarc. From there you would have a media-converter for a specific wavelength. The output would be pure Ethernet connectivity throughout the home, thru hard wire or even using a wireless router. Businesses with direct fiber use the same method.
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-07-06, 05:26 PM

Our neighbourhood supposedly has fibre now - I got a note in June while I was away on vacation that my house was being done while I was still away. It should be done now (I should look to see; we have above-ground lines.) Any idea when I can subscribe? (Currently with Access but will slow that down and add infiNET to the house.)

I'm in Regent Park, Regina.
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 05:27 PM
Rookie

So fibre in Condos/Apartments

I live in a town house apartment hybrid condo development in Hampton Village, I watched them run the fibre in to one of the buildings belonging with my condo and a majority of my neighbours not in the condo set up. I have not received the letter yet saying they are ready to upgrade me, I know Sasktel ways having troubles with running fibre to suites in other developments but the fibre has been run for others in my condo. I am curies if anyone knows anything about who I can talk to about when I will be getting my fibre.
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-07-12, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I had to report a problem with my Max box, so while I was on the phone with them, I asked when infiNET will be coming to my house (I'm in Forest Grove). He said "Due to the weather, we are a few weeks behind schedule, so hopefully soon."
post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-07-13, 12:01 PM

Location: Regina; Panasonic 42PDP50U plasma, Teac AG-H 550 AV Receiver, Arcaydis AKS speakers
We had infiNet installed to our home in the Lakeview area of Regina sometime at the end of May. We're very impressed with the service so far. We were the eighth customer in the province to get it installed so at one point there were three SaskTel managers in my home supervising the installation to make sure that everything went smoothly. We didn't upgrade our Internet service but automatically received a free upgrade to 50Mbps down.
post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-07-13, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaJesus View Post
We had infiNet installed to our home in the Lakeview area of Regina sometime at the end of May. We're very impressed with the service so far. We were the eighth customer in the province to get it installed so at one point there were three SaskTel managers in my home supervising the installation to make sure that everything went smoothly. We didn't upgrade our Internet service but automatically received a free upgrade to 50Mbps down.
Can you do me a favor and run a Speedtest and a Pingtest while nothing is running on your connection (Video, Filesharing, etc...) and post the results? I want to know how good the connection is for infiNET in comparison with their DSL offerings and other Fiber connections around the world.
post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-04, 05:21 PM
Rookie

Still waiting

I feel like a kid standing at the door to a candy shop, waiting for it to open (or waiting for light at the end of the fiber). I noticed that you can have 7 HD TVs on one line, does anyone know how many HD streams you can record at once? And do they have a limit on your Internet speeds when you have HD?
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-08-09, 04:42 PM

They just posted their official construction schedule: http://www.sasktel.com/personal/infiNET/index.html

Looks like no service for my area (and more than half of Regina) until at least 2014.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in