'Fiber To The Premises" discussion (infiNET) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 121 (permalink) Old 2011-11-23, 08:50 AM
Mav

Location: Saskatoon, SK Pioneer VSX-9140TXH, Samsung LN46C630, Sanyo PLV-Z2000, PS3, MTS TV
We're on Laycock Cr. They didn't get the line installed Sunday like I thought. On Monday they had to bring in a steamer truck cause the conduit line was frozen. Look for two black trucks with Tier2 on the side, they're the ones doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 11:05 PM
Rookie

I will have to find out. I live in a late80's/early 90's area. Cable is burred and no extra tube was provided. I plan on redoing my entire back yard landscaping and would like to have a tube ran before I begin. only problem is they have to trench through my next door neighbor entire yard to get to mine so he may be an issue. might see if all the people of the pedestal are willing to get it done a the same time. make it easier for them and sasktel.

the yard work is a year or 2 down the way so I am in no rush.
post #18 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-05-22, 12:36 AM

Any news on this? Have they began rolling this out in any residential places?

post #19 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-05-22, 11:00 AM
Rookie

They are hooking up the new neighbourhoods first. That was supposed to be done through April but Sasktel has had some troubles, so they say they will get to you when they get to you.
I live in a new neighbourhood on the west side of the city and have seen a lot of Sasktel vans and trucks around so I am hopping I will get it soon.
post #20 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-05-22, 07:08 PM

So as previously posted, the fastest package is 200/40 initially? And the pricing will coincide with the package you have currently?
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-05-29, 11:05 PM
Rookie

My friend who works at sasktel told me that it will be rolling out in quarter 3 for newer neighbourhoods... Stone bridge, willow Grove, Hampton village, etc.... So likely this fall. I was told you will get upgraded to 15mbit for free on the basic package. I was hoping for more, but it's still a nice upgrade. Was also told you will be able to get up to 100mbit to start but that will slowly be increased as the network expands.
post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-04, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Any idea on when Forest Grove will get it?

Aside from that, a couple new observations:

SaskTel has moved the url for the Fiber info to http://www.sasktel.com/personal/fibre/. Note the spelling.

Also, it appears that SaskTel will be using Actiontec hardware, at least at the start, the same kind of hardware Verizon FiOS uses on some installs, and it is somewhat known that the Actiontec can be a pain in the butt to work with. The specific model used is the V1000H, evidence is searching for the phrase "Actiontec" on the main SaskTel website.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-06-04 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Forum rules
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-04, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the new url - I've updated the link on the previous page.

Bell Aliant also uses the Actiontec modem for their Fibre to the Home installations. You can read about it in our Bell Aliant forum. (Bell Aliant expects to cover 650,000 premises with FTTH by the end of 2012).
post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

(What I would call a )HUGE UPDATE!!!

You ask, why the caps? Are you shouting? YES, as I am now a very happy camper.

SaskTel has JUST made available a page with the Internet speeds for fiber to the premises AND a locator/availability for their fiber services.
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 10:26 PM

Glad there's finally something official - looks pretty awesome! And apparently on any of those tiers you can double the upload speed for an extra $10. So the top package seems to be 200/60 for $150/$140 with bundling?

Packages seem roughly comparable to Shaw I guess - Shaw has 250/15 for $130, Sasktel is 200/30 for the same price (with bundling), and I'd definitely prefer the extra upload over download. Shaw lets you shave off $20 if you're willing to accept a 1TB cap (seriously, who would exceed this?) Of course, in Regina we're stuck with Access - don't get me started.

From talking to people and with some trial and error with their "availability tool", it seems like most of Lakeview will be hooked up soon, and the entire southwest corner of Regina (everything south of Wascana Lake/Creek, plus Cathedral) hopefully this year. Also probably all the really new areas in the northwest and southeast.

I'm kind of disappointed since I live downtown and it doesn't look like that's in their near-future plans. I thought it kind of made sense since it's dense, almost entirely aerial drops and has lots of businesses that need the bandwidth anyway. I'm assuming it's because most of the buildings were built in the 1910s-1970s and updating the internal wiring would be a nightmare. I wonder if they're planning to do something like ethernet-to-the-suite, or VDSL2 DSLAMs in the basement - I think this has been done in Alberta/BC?
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Yet another day, yet another update.

It is official, the name of SaskTel's Fiber Optic network is infiNET.

SaskTel also posted a video about infiNET at http://www.sasktel.com/personal/infi...net-video.html. It's more of a made-for-tv marketing commercial than anything else.

And another interesting quote from SaskTel's Website "You'll also get increased bundling options for your Max service. If you have a need for speed - you can combine your Max Entertainment service with High Speed Extreme, Ultra and the brand new Mach I offering download speeds up to 100 Mbps!"

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2012-06-19 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Removed broken image and fixed link
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-19, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Regarding my post above (sorry I can't edit it): the service is called "infiNET", the image messed up (or they don't allow image linking outside of their own site). Also the information link has changed yet again to http://www.sasktel.com/personal/infiNET/index.html
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 01:13 PM
Rookie

I don't know Regina that well but is this lakeview in Regina or Saskatoon?

Also does anyone have this yet?
I am wondering
I am gonna assume that the fiber comes into the house to the modem/device. From there what does it go on to? cat 5/6 fiber as well?

I am wondering if I shouldn't run fiber in my home as well since I am renovating it, or do it anyways for future.
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

@Dolby I have done a ton of research regarding fiber (also spelled fibre but both spellings mean the same) systems since I got access to a high speed box in Europe, which I have since needed to give up due to financial reasons. I can't really tell you where I did my researching, due to a forum rule about leading people away from the site, but look up "Verizon FiOS" on Google and research a bit on "Fiber-optics" and their technologies on Wikipedia and you should find lots of information.

For your first question: I don't know which Lakeview is getting infiNET. Some people are already getting it in newer neighborhoods (i.e. Stonebridge) as that is where they are focusing most.

SaskTel will run the fiber to your house and install any needed equipment. The fiber will come into the house and go to the Optical Network Terminal, AKA ONT. The ONT converts the laser-based signal into electric signals, and back again when needed. The signals will got into a router and go from there

Onto the last question: Fiber and CAT 5E/6 are two completely different animals. "cat 5/6 fiber" as you put it, simply doesn't exist. But Ethernet signals can run over both.

The Internet and TV signals will run over CAT 5E or CAT 6 from the router, so run at least 4 runs of CAT 6 to each room from a central point. This is for future proofing, even you might never need that many runs, better overkill than not. Most people are going with CAT 6 "because it is better in some ways than CAT 5E", but to be simple CAT 6 can handle more, broader, signals over those hair-thin wires.

Fiber is best used for a backbone between buildings that have high bandwidth needs (such as those used on the U of S campus), using Fiber to send info back and forth between two computers at home is completely overkill.
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 2012-06-23, 09:37 PM

@Dolby, there's very little chance that fibre to the desktop would make sense in the foreseeable future. Category 6 or 6a twisted pair copper cable will allow 10GBASE-T (10-Gigabit Ethernet) within a residence, depending on the length and how it's installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in