max wiring questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

max wiring questions

so I am getting a new house soon and plan on upgrading all the low voltage wiring cat5e to cat6 rg59 cable to rg6 cat3 to cat6 exc.
questions are
1. cat6 should work for max? I am gona assume so
2. if I do my own termination to rj45 jacks they should be the same as regualr rj45 for computer networks?
3. because last I herd the modem sasktel provides is 10/100 and I need 100/1000 for vaious things could I hook up the modem to a gigabit switch then from the switch to the max box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-17, 08:41 PM

why upgrade from 5e to 6? both are rated for 1gbps

1) cat6 works just fine, I've got a couple runs in my house (6a actually, but realistically anything over cat5 is really overkill at this point)

2) well, yeah, you should terminate your cables in the standard method. why would you not? I'd recomend 568a standard

3) assuming you're doing HD you need to have the MAX stb connected directly to the 2wire gateway. some important QoS happens in the gateway when the STB is connected directly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-27, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

this is what I am thining
I am planing on getting some xover ethernt devices hdmi,usb,audio ect. most of these devices are ok with cat5 but wok better and get londer runs with cat 6. I al already gona purchase at lest 4 boxes of cat6 and figure I might as well use it up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 08:26 PM

no, you will not get longer runs from cat6 than cat5

they are both spec'd for 100m max run lengths

4 boxes? what are you putting in, 10 outlets in every room?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 10:37 AM
Veteran

100M is the limit for Ethernet on Cat5. It seems user "dolby" intends to use cat5e/6 for non Ethernet purposes, where Cat6 may perform better.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-11-22, 03:12 PM
Rookie

I would definetly do CAT6. The price difference is very minimal these days and if nothing else it's future-proofing. Cat6 is actually in theory rated at 10G (it has been done in past but only on quite short distances, but you never know what will future bring when it comes to protocols, etc.). Cat5e is rated at 1G but performs very poorly (and most likely you won't get 1G out of it because of the bends, etc). I did my whole house in Cat6 (2 to 4 runs in each room and all terminated in central patch panel in the basement) and cost me under $1000 (including expensive Cat6 compatible patch panel) about 3.5 years ago. The cost of cable is down to probably one third of that now.

I actually used Cat5e for telephone runs. This way I had 4 pairs instead of two. One of my cables was damaged by construction staple (damaged 2 pairs out of 4) so if I had regular telephone cable I would be without phone connection on that location.

It is possible to have a gig. switch behind the SaskTel 2wire router. It's the Max STB that needs to be hooked up straight to the 2wire. There is a separate connection on 2wire just for STB and then there is I think 4 port hub that is for internet. If you put your switch behind the hub but leave the STB connected to it's separate connection it is going to work just fine.

When it comes to the connections, yes they will be just regular straight through connections. You can use either A standard or B standard but they need to be the same on both sides of the cable. If you mix them up and put A standard on one side and B standard on the other it will make a cross-over cable. Would still work with switch because switches are all auto sensing these days but you might have problems with other equipment.

Good Luck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-12-18, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

so much cat6?
well the hdmi over Ethernet takes 2 runs of cat 6, I have seen 1 that takes 3 but it also includes the ability to have internet there as well.

The house I bought has only 1 tel run to the kitchen and that is it and no cable runs. most of the tel jacks were ran afterwords and used a box that mounts on the wall and stick out an inch or so. the cable runs were drilled through the floor and that was it.

I was also unsure if the max boxes needed some sort of special crossover cable connection like pin 1 to pin 3, pin 3 to pin 5.

I am also per-wiring the house for future use, by me or the new owners. I will have 1 Ethernet,1 telephone, 1 Ethernet(max), 1 coax (shaw), 2 coax(bell/starchoice dual tuners need 2 I think). I will also be running some extra runs for future needs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-12-26, 01:54 PM
Rookie

Ya... if I had got on the ball sooner when we had our home built... we would have minimum 2 Cat 6 and 2 RG6 behind every spot where a TV could possibly go in the future.

The Max boxes don't require any kind of crossover... just standard straight through. Although quite often some of the installers only connect the first 2 pairs (limiting the speed of the line to 100mbit... but freeing up the other two pairs for another network device, or a phone line). For prewiring your house... you shouldn't need more than 3 Ethernet and 2 RG-6.

You don't need to run different wire for phone... if you already have a 1000 foot box of Cat 6 (or 5e) you can just use that.

For RG-6 you shouldn't need more than 2... because very few people will have Satellite and Cable TV at the same time. If you use cable... you'll just use one of the RG-6 runs, if satellite (with a dual tuner PVR) you'll use 2.

Then I guess additional CAT6 runs for any other crazy stuff you plan on doing, like HDMI over Ethernet
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-01-02, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I was planning on a ready to go system.
if I get max I just plug in some cat5/6 cables and away I go
shaw same thing
satellite as well

I was looking at some quickport rackmount options to house everythin which I will then label
master tel, master max, master internet and so on

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in