Max Bundled With Highspeed Extreme? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-11, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Question Max Bundled With Highspeed Extreme?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get Max bundled with high-speed extreme (10Mbps) internet service?
Any documentation I can find indicates classic (1.5Mbps) and plus (5Mbps) as the only options.

I am in Pilot Butte and currently have a 10Mbps connection but am thinking of dumping Bell for Max, but would that mean I would have to drop my internet connection back to 5Mbps?

If one line can't handle 10Mbps and the Max data, is there any technical reason why an additional pair on the service drop can't be used for a second line, one to serve Max and the other serving my internet connection. I realize this would create two networks in the house, but is it do-able? Does anyone know how SaskTel would bill this out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-13, 02:58 PM

you'd be billed for 2 connections, currently

1 for the 10mbps service, and 1 for the max service (which would also come with it's own highspeed as well)

there has been talk of allowing case by case exemptions, but I personally don't really see it happening.
ie, if your modem syncs up at 50+ mbps and you only need 25-35 for your TV streams, why not allow an upgrade to 10mbps highspeed on the same modem?

I don't know or claim to know exactly the reason why it's not, but I suspect its just to offer a uniform product, and message to customers.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 01:41 AM

couple years ago i had high speed extreme and max tv. I was billed separately for internet and for max tv only( just paying for the max tv no net with the max, which was a small discount off normal max. at the time it required one modem and line for both the internet and for the max tv. this was back when i had sd only, not sure if you have hd if it makes a difference.

sasktel knew 2 years ago and still knows many customers want this option of max with extreme but have not acted on it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 01:31 PM

Quote:
sasktel knew 2 years ago and still knows many customers want this option of max with extreme but have not acted on it.
The numbers that actually want to pay for this option are actually very small

when the basic highspeed was raised from 1.5 mbps to 5mbps people had the choice to take the free upgrade (to 5) or to stay at 1.5mbps and pay $10 less per month

it was something like 85%+ that stayed at 1.5mbps rather than triple their speed for free

real world results like that tend to curb enthusiasm for marketing big speed
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 09:01 PM
Rookie

In the not to distant future it will be easier for sasktel to give you High Speed at what ever speed you want, Max and all of the other bells and whistles they offer all on the same line as they are slowly rolling fibber out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 04:59 PM
Rookie

This is one of the reasons I switched to Shaw. To subscribe to Max and Extreme internet, they bill you separately for TV-only max and extreme internet so you lose your bundle savings. It was costing me $25 more per month for max and extreme whereas the difference in price between high speed and extreme internet is only $10. So the way I felt was that I was basically being 'punished' for ordering higher services from Sasktel rather than being rewarded.

I could not get anyone at Sasktel at any level of customer service to understand this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Small Tubes

They can only push so much data through one phone line at a time. You were subscribed through multiple lines, someday in the very near future sasktel will be able to offer you faster internet and TV at the same time. I can understand your frustration, best of luck to you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Yes I did have multiple lines, but that is a technical limitation of Sasktel and has nothing to do with bundling/pricing. Sasktel could still bundle extreme internet with max for $10 more per month instead of forcing the customer to choose TV only max and separate internet.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2012-01-27, 12:29 AM
Rookie

or, if you arn't subscribing to HD... or only have one HD feed, the VDSL2 modems that they are using would be able to connect at a high enough speed to offer 10mbit as well as MAX on the same line.

But they don't, because this likely adds confusion (you can only get it included with max if you only have 1 tv, or not subscribing to HD).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in