Sasktel Max vs. Bell Satellite - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-17, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Sasktel Max vs. Bell Satellite

So, Sasktel has come out with some new software for Max, great.

I have been a long time satellite customer, except for a short switch to Max in '08 if memory serves me correct. Back then the Motorola PVR left a lot to be desired, software was horrible. I won't limit my issues to one main issue, there were many. So I went back to expressvu, that isn't perfect, however, the software and functionality of the PVR from them was light years ahead of Max.

So here's my question(s)

1. Has the HDMI audio issue fixed with the new upgrades?
2. Has the functionality of the PVR been improved to the point of having a pleasant smooth experience with no thoughts of these units being possessed?
3. I did a quick check on the Sasktel website and noticed that NFL Sunday Ticket didn't have HD equivalent channels listed, do they have Sunday Ticket in HD?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-17, 07:27 PM

1 sorta. it's dependent on your equipment, for the most part. it's still technically unsupported, but works with a huge majority of the stuff out there. personally, I've always just run optical to the receiver, and turn off the audio over HDMI

2 the pvr is miles better. it's been quite a while since I've touched a bell pvr, but it's at least as good, and the whole house pvr is great

3 this is right from the website:
NFL Sunday Ticket™ is only available to Max™ HD customers. Games are in SD, and when available, in HD. A subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket™ cannot be cancelled, transferred, refunded, or credited (in part or in whole) after the season starts.

clear as mud, right?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-17, 08:32 PM
Premium Supporter

I have also thought of switching from Bell satellite to Max, I have been reluctant because right now I am having internet issues from Sasktel. I have a neighbor who had max and now has Bell satellite. Programing is very similar, PVR`s similar. I think it is a matter of preference I am not switching yet.

noah

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-20, 05:27 PM
Rookie

I had internet issues with Sasktel (phone line quality) and I found that upgrading from ExpressVu to Max HD did 2 things.

It highlighted my issues and showed that I was losing sync 2 - 3 times / day.

I was upgraded to a VDSL2 2wire gateway (quite a bit larger than the one I had) With the VDSL2 modem I had no issues at all. The tech explained that VDSL2 hardware was more tolerant to line quality issues.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-21, 12:22 AM
Premium Supporter

Yup understand the 2wire modem, but cannot get high speed extreme if I update to max.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-21, 09:58 AM

noah12, have you checked with new Max. MTS uses Mediaroom and 2wire modems. We can get 10 Mbps or 32 Mbps plans. The bandwidth is shared with the TV streams and TV takes priority as more streams are used.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-21, 11:44 AM
Rookie

calling to cancel bell (assuming you're not on a contract) will likely yield you some sort of deal. So if you are looking to switch simply because of cost... call Bell and tell they you want to cancel because it costs too much.

This yielded me a discount (I don't remember what amount... it's been awhile) and 1 year free rental of a HD PVR.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-21, 12:13 PM
Premium Supporter

Dr.Dave
Yes I asked, the most we can get where I live is internet basic which is 5Mbps, I will inquire again when the tech comes to see what is wrong with internet.

thanks
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-22, 07:38 PM

where do you live?

anywhere that has max has capability for 25mbps
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 01:28 AM
Premium Supporter

Melville Saskatchewan just getting Max
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 01:14 PM

well, once the build is complete there, the new speed packages will open up
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

The HDMI is/was an issue with BEV. However, since I had to switch from my 9242 to 9241, I've haven't experienced any audio drops. All in all since my switch to the 9241 life has been fine.

I'm hugely concerned about the functionality of the hardware if I chose to go back to Sasktel. It acted like the 4 9242s' I had, Possessed is the word that comes to mind.

The audio drops I experienced on Max were twice as bad as BEV was putting people through. Now, no issues since I switched receivers.

I like the idea of having 1 bill, provided what I'm paying for works well. Speaking of that, 2 years ago I purchased a Blackberry Storm, the first thing they did was take the SIM card, saying I didn't need that. Now, with the 3G network I can't make use of it because I don't have a SIM card. The phone is capable of working on both networks, in fact it recognizes the Rogers network, but I need a SIM card.

Anyway, that's something else, however, I'm sure I could make some sort of deal if I went back to them on the cell deal.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-11-02, 11:23 AM
Rookie

we are now a little off topic, but i'm fairly certain that blackberry didn't come with a SIM card. Sasktel had International roaming SIMs that you could purchase that would allow you to roam to GSM while out of the country.

Also, I unlocked a verizon 9530 Storm for a friend and he used it with his Rogers SIM. He noticed one little problem, name display wouldn't work. Apparently GSM allows for Name & Number display, but CDMA only allows Number. So because the phone was primarily designed for CDMA, name display wouldn't work on the phone.

Now back to the original topic, I called Sasktel and asked about getting Max with HS extreme, and they now tell me it's not offered. I could have swore it was offered in the past! She said the only way they would do it is if I ordered it as 2 separate services. Max TV only and a separate HS Extreme connection (read: expensive setup)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-31, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

1 month on with Max

Bugs-

Audio issues with HDMI, get with it Sasktel, this issue must get dealt with, you can't keep flogging component as a solution. In fact, when I did hook up via component, it was is 480i, no HD! I need to have my STB hooked up to my TV and my receiver at the same time as I don't always want to have the surround running if I'm just watching the news, so my solution was to pick up an HDMI switcher, 1 in 4 out, as opposed to the other way, this way it allowed me to split the HDMI output on the STB to the tv and receiver with no issues so far.

Picture ratio, with BEV, I never had to keep adjusting my tv when I switched watching HD to SD, this is stuipid.

No auto tune programming allowed, has to be recorded WTF?????

Positive

Functionality of the receiver is much improved from my last try with MAX. It is slow to respond to commands, but all in all, it works fine, however, the BEV PVR is still in a league above this unit.

Whole house PVR, what can I say, a very nice feature, one that I'm sure BEV will never have for the main reason, they want to siphon every last dime out of you, so you'll be stuck having to purchase a PVR or like for each room.

Picture Quality, good SD and very good HD

Guide is also very nice to use, except for having station logos instead of the name, the font is too small for this logo to be of much good if you're back from the tv by more than 8 feet, either that or I'm in need of an update to my glasses

So I'm going to do the last month of the promotion, see if any other issues come up and see if I can live with the ones listed above, so far, it looks like having a faster internet connection and whole house PVR may seal the deal this time.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2011-03-31, 11:35 AM

@Prism, if your're getting 480i with component, go into the setup on the STB and change it to 720p.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in