Official "New Max" discussion (Microsoft Mediaroom) - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 03:05 AM

Autotune changes the channel for you

It would work with a TiVo but I think the native pvr is much better

I guess I misspoke a bit. The difference between scheduled record and autotune is that at the end of scheduled time slot the buffer is not saved.

Or maybe a better way to put it is that it's not permanently recorded

Everything is technically being recorded on the fly(that's why you can pause/rewind live tv) but autotune will be overwritten once th circular buffer comes around again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-18, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the explanation Tikker. Autotune works the way I expected, it's just that your previous descriptions were a little confusing. This is a feature that didn't exist in previous versions of Mediaroom, so I wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing.

I'm not recommending TiVo as a replacement for the PVR service, but some people that already own TiVos use them as supplements to the PVR (more of an issue in the U.S. where TiVos are more common).
post #78 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-19, 03:18 PM

Yeah sorry about that

We've always had reminder/autotune for probably pushing a decade now

It's been a while since I've actually thought about it

post #79 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-21, 10:27 AM
Rookie

Very Good

Very Good!! I think
post #80 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-22, 02:29 PM

Seriously, when are existing customers in Regina getting this new Max that actually has their service graduating from the nineties? I'm loving my audio dropouts, horrible SD picture and pathetic PVR so much right now.
post #81 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-26, 11:54 AM

So they finally upgraded me (existing customer, Saskatoon). It's much, much prettier. SD video seems much improved. However, is it ever SLOW when viewing the guide. And I'm not a fan of the remote, as it seems to have a much more limited cone of effect.
post #82 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-26, 09:49 PM
Rookie

I'm an existing Max customer, and I received my upgrade pack today. But this is something I'm not looking forward to at all.

At the moment, I'm using MythTV to tune into the IPTV streams, as the streams I am entitled to watch are being broadcast in the clear (After you do some basic authentication). This way, I can tell you that SDTV on "Old" Max is broadcast as a VBR MPEG2 stream at between 2400 and 2600 KBPS, 352x480 resolution (Hence the poor quality), and the audio is Stereo MP2 48KHz at 192Kbps.

I'm thinking, at least, hoping, that the "New Max" upgrade is just a switch from MPEG2 streams to H.264/AAC, but my fear is that the "New Max" will enable encryption on the streams, and break this entire system. Ideally, to allay my fears, I'd love for someone to capture some of the streamed video using Wireshark (Or something similar) and/or watch the stream using VLC (Something that is currently possible, if you know the multicast address to watch for). If this isn't possible, then I'm going to have to do some major re-orchestrating of my system.

If you want to know how my system works at the moment, it's all documented on the MythTV Wiki (Here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sasktel_IPTV ), including how to find and tune into the streams currently available.

This is not piracy - There is no way to tune into a channel you do not pay for, and you have to have the ID from a valid and registered box to authenticate to the upstream provider.
post #83 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Sasktel Upgrade + Windows MCE = crap

My husband and I have been running Windows Media Center and using extenders (ie: xbox 360's) to record shows, pause and rewind live TV on Sasktel Max for 5+ years now. It has been FANTASTIC. We could record and watch anything we wanted, whenever we wanted; no renting boxes for $10/month (which is good because we have 3 extenders!). But now (as of last night!!) Sasktel has upgraded their MAX system, and just like that, it doesn't work anymore! For some reason, the remote system that changes the channel on the set top box through MC isn't recognized anymore. Looking for some help please!! Anyone???
post #84 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 02:09 AM

I think you will have to set up Media Center for a different Set Top Box. AT&T U-verse may work, since they also use Microsoft Mediaroom (same as new MAX).

I'm not familiar with Media Center, so I'm not sure if you can set up the Set Top Box separately from the provider for the guide data .

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-12-03 at 03:03 AM.
post #85 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 02:33 AM
Rookie

Unfortunately, AT&T isn't in the list available from Media Center. We've looked up the IR code on the Sasktel website (0476), and picked the corresponding Motorolla option, but it still doesn't work.
post #86 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 10:49 AM

@qtjenni, from what I've read about MCE on AT&T, when you do the STB setup you may have to go through the process for Media Center to learn your new remote.
post #87 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
@qtjenni, from what I've read about MCE on AT&T, when you do the STB setup you may have to go through the process for Media Center to learn your new remote.
@Dr.Dave, I've been running windows media center for 5+ years as qtjenni above said (I am the aforementioned husband in her post), and have learned remotes from three different Sasktel STB remotes (The PACE DSL4000 ones, the ones they had after those, and these new Motorla boxes) and it has always worked.

It's just since the upgrade to Microsoft mediaroom that media center refuses to learn the new max remotes. It learned the previous generation's remotes without fail.

The only thing I can think to try is update the PC with all the latest windows updates to see if perhaps theres an update that adds some additional capabilities to media center.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this is planned by Sasktel so that we'd be forced to buy their expensive DVR service.

Ideally, I'd like to use my three xbox 360's as set tops for my max service and switch to their DVR service just out of convenience. I know 360's are compatible with media room as set top boxes, as I've seen this in action on a tv provider in the states (Can't recall the provider at the moment though).

Additionally, one thing we noticed last night is the new remote will change channels on the old software (we had an un-upgraded box that was not connected the night our upgrade happened) so I see no reason the existing programming in my media center shouldn't be able to change the channels...weird...
post #88 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 06:18 PM

@Anaerin: I used to do exactly what you are doing, but before they even had any authentication...as long as you were a max subscriber you could connect to any stream if you knew the IP and port...

I wasn't cloning MAC addresses, or anything like that, just telling VLC to open a stream at this IP and port, and voila.

The new max, I suspect, will be a departure from that since it's based on Microsoft Mediaroom. I suspect you will be out of luck, but if I get a minute this weekend I'll throw a sniffer on and see what it gathers. (Unless you get upgraded before then).
post #89 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 06:34 PM

@m3t4lw01f: It's called AT&T Uverse
post #90 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-12-03, 06:38 PM

Thanks urbanracer...I had a feeling that's what it was, just couldn't remember.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in