Official "New Max" discussion (Microsoft Mediaroom) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 02:39 AM

No to the best on my knowledge there is no auto-tune feature nor have I seen it in the roadmap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 02:42 AM

This comes down really to content rights and CRTC regulations. The CRTC don't even like the telco's to add additional hard drives to their pvr's. This has to change at some point and I beleive there are hearings this week or next in Ottawa where some of this will be convered.

With a lot of things these days its more regulatory and business challenges and not technical challenges.
post #63 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 10:07 AM

@mediaroomrocks, I think you may be confused about the CRTC's role. AFAIK the CRTC doesn't restrict external hard drives on PVRs. Motorola cable PVRs (Shaw), Cisco aka Scientific Atlanta cable PVRs (Rogers) and Bell Satellite all support external drives.

post #64 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 02:06 PM

auto-tune is now known as scheduled recording
post #65 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-09, 02:59 PM

Autotune/Reminders

Hi Tikker

I was referring to this Sasktel support page:

http://www.sasktel.com/EndecaUI/cont...Record-Support

What options do you have when you choose this menu item:
Quote:
Autotune/Reminders: Set a reminder or autotune so you don’t miss a second of your favourite show
post #66 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 11:10 AM
Rookie

I have the new Max with 3 set top boxes (one PVR/DTVR and 2 other boxes). I can confirm that you can pause/rewind *live* TV on any of the boxes.
post #67 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 02:52 PM

Dr Dave

Just set up my test kit for "new" max

autotune/reminder works exactly the same as it did on old max
post #68 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 02:59 PM

Thanks Tikker.

Could you briefly describe how it works? I'm not in Sasktel territory, but I'm interested in what's possible in Mediaroom 2.0.

Or do you mean it just goes to the recording menu?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-11-16 at 05:26 PM.
post #69 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 05:10 PM
Rookie

I haven't received the update yet but have been asking a lot of questions in regards to this new software that we are going to get. SaskTel told me that they are doing what is called a 'muted(?)' launch of this as they didn't want to roll out too many new features and make it more complex with the updates they have to do with existing customers. One person in the mall in Regina, the SaskTel store itself, said that by the end of 2011 SaskTel would be offering the most apps or features as any provider in Canada. Apparently they have developers from all over working on new features to kind of emulate a smart phone app type enviroment. It sounds kind of cool to me and I am looking forward to it. I am concerned though as I have a two modem setup in my house hold because of the number of HD TV's that I have. How is that PVR sharing going to work across to modems? Can't see that being possible but then what do I know? I am certainly not giving up my faster internet speeds or one of my STB's. Anyone know what the solution to that is?
post #70 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-16, 05:24 PM

@crusher420, have you read post 39?
post #71 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 09:33 AM
Rookie

Well that is an explanation for sure but not one that I was hoping for. Oh well I guess I will just have to be strategic about how things are going to be setup on my system I guess. I have a HD PVR, HD STB and Standard Definition Box in my house. Guess the SD box will have to stay on with the high speed unless they can support all of that on one modem?

I kind of like the idea of getting the TV service and the Internet Service Separated though so I guess that is one plus. Maybe when they get around to getting a FIOS like system I will be able to do whatever it is that I want.
post #72 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 12:43 PM

@crusher420, according to Sasktel's config tool, you should be able to get the 1 SD and 3 HD streams you need, although it's possible that your connection may be limited due to distance from the node.

If your connection is less than normal, you may still choose to have all the STBs on 1 modem. Mediaroom dynamically allocates the streams to the PVR and STBs and you can watch recorded programs if you have more TVs than live streams.
post #73 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Well that's interesting to know. I wish they would get around to converting people with connections like mine as I am excited to see what is going to happen!
post #74 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 08:26 PM

@dr dave

it's pretty much exactly what you think it would be

if you pick reminder, it'll do a pop up to say "show_xyz is about to start on channel 1234"

if you do autotune, you get the same popup, except it'll say "channel is about to change to 1234 to watch show_xyz"

paraphrased

the autotune is basically exactly the same as a scheduled recording. there's no functional difference
post #75 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-17, 08:48 PM

Thanks Tikker.

Just to be clear, does autotune actually change the current channel? So if you had a TiVo hooked up, could you record the active screen and get the correct results? Does autotune work on any STB or just the PVR?
Quote:
the autotune is basically exactly the same as a scheduled recording. there's no functional difference
Does autotune save a recording on the hard drive?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in