Official "New Max" discussion (Microsoft Mediaroom) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 01:21 AM
Rookie

One thing my wife noticed last night (and was not happy).... she went to pause and rewind the TV in the bedroom and nothing. On the Bell system we had the bedroom TV connected to the Expressvu PVR's second receiver port.

Will the new Max system allow pausing and rewinding/ff of live tv to the central PVR box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 01:32 AM

@chessl, Mediaroom will only allow you to pause live TV on the PVR. The other STBs are streamed direct and don't have a buffer.

You can get around this by recording the show and watching the recording "live". You can then pause and rewind the recording.
post #48 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 05:04 PM

Pause

That's suprising sasktel is on the 2.x client and it's supposed to support pause on non pvr.

post #49 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 07:16 PM

I'm the one saying pause on a non-PVR doesn't work, but I'm not a Sasktel customer. I'm with MTS and use the 1.6 client. I don't know if anyone with Sasktel has tried it.

Any other new features specific to the 2.0 client? I noticed a while back on the Sasktel support site that they have the Autotune/Reminders function.
post #50 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 08:18 PM

we've always had autotune/reminder functionality, since basically day 1 of max
post #51 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-03, 08:36 PM

To the best of my knowledge Mediaroom 1.6 doesn't have autotune/reminder functionality.
post #52 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 02:59 PM

If Sasktel is on the 2.x client, I assume that they are specifically choosing to NOT enable the xbox360/mediacenter features of MediaRoom?

"Can I watch my TV or DTVR recordings on my computer or mobile device?
Although the new Max service will allow you to schedule DTVR recordings from any internet connection the content will still only be viewable through the SaskTel Max set-top box."

Second, they advertise:
"You can record the whole of a program you start to watch part way through. Simply hit record and you get the whole show."

I don't understand? It seems ludicrous to think that they are buffering *everything* *constantly*. Do they automatically download the first 59 minutes of a show if I tune in with seconds left? Is there just some (more sensical) reading to this purportedly fabulous feature that I am missing?
post #53 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 03:50 PM

autotune etc

The autotune was a feature Sasktel had built for mediaroom, MTS doesnt have that.

With the xbox client and mediacenter , only telus has xbox right now and there are some signifcant changes coming down the pipe to that client, think the device that was released today and sometime next year you're going to see some very very cool things.
post #54 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-04, 07:48 PM

@mediaroomrocks, are you saying that autotune isn't a standard part of Mediaroom 2.0?
post #55 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 01:33 AM

Quote:
I don't understand? It seems ludicrous to think that they are buffering *everything* *constantly*. Do they automatically download the first 59 minutes of a show if I tune in with seconds left? Is there just some (more sensical) reading to this purportedly fabulous feature that I am missing?

that's how mediaroom/media center works

it has a circular buffer, and is essentially, always recording

hitting the record button just essentially tells the system to not delete the recording when the scheduled program ends
post #56 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 11:41 AM

It's now November. When is Regina going to be included in this roll-out?

Specifically me.
post #57 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 12:11 PM

Quote:
that's how mediaroom/media center works

it has a circular buffer, and is essentially, always recording
EVERY channel? If my girlfriend's watching Cakeboss, and it ends and I switch over and see that the Rider game is in the 4th quarter, on TSN, I can somehow hit record and get the *entire* game?
post #58 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 12:45 PM

Mediaroom buffers the channel that the PVR is tuned to and will record it from the beginning.

There is a different feature called Mediaroom Anytime that will allow a program to be viewed/recorded from the beginning even if it hasn't been buffered by the PVR. I don't know if Sasktel can implement this feature since they would have to record the program at the head-end and I don't think this is allowed in Canada.
post #59 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Mediaroom Anytime
Wow, that's indeed a phenomenal feature. I'd be thrilled if Sasktel implemented it.

However, as it is I'm thinking that Sasktel thinks "You can now record the buffer of whatever you've been watching already" somehow means "You can record the whole of a program you start to watch part way through. Simply hit record and you get the whole show." :P
post #60 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 01:09 PM

you have to remember that we understand how the system works, but marketing highlights aren't always going to describe the minutia of the underlying system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in