Official "New Max" discussion (Microsoft Mediaroom) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 11:52 AM
Rookie

I ordered a 2nd HD box for my house yesterday, the agent on the phone said November for the new software in Regina. Who knows if she is right, but take it for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 12:16 PM

I have a family member that subscribed to Max on Sept 17 as a new customer and did receive the new box complete with the new look for Max, so some people are getting the new boxes with the new software.
post #33 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-04, 08:31 PM
Rookie

Can someone that has the "new max" tell me what features are available for recording?

for example, I have bell right now, and it will let me record: only new, all, or weekly episodes of a series. Does this new max have all these recording options?

post #34 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 03:00 PM

Series Recording

I use Mediaroom with MTS. Here are the series recording features:
  • ANY DAY, AROUND XX:XX AM/PM
  • ANY DAY, ANYTIME
  • ANY DAY, ANYTIME, ONCE PER DAY
SHOW TYPE allows you to choose:
  • FIRST RUN & RERUN
  • FIRST RUN ONLY
The default settings are AROUND XX:XX AM/PM, FIRST RUN & RERUN.

Series recording is done by program ID, not by name. The series will be recorded as long as the program is the same even if the name or description changes slightly.

Episodes are identified by episode ID and networks that properly identify the episodes will schedule properly.

The "around time" option allows a 2 hour window on either side so if the network shuffles the schedule slightly the program will still be recorded. Specialty channels often schedule programs to repeat 3 hours later for the western time zone. This feature will prevent them from being recorded again.

Episodes that have been recorded will not be recorded again unless they have been deleted.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2010-12-12 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
post #35 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 03:07 PM
Rookie

So what you are basically saying is, for example right now I have Bell set to record Survivor Nicaragua. Next year when Survivor whatever comes on, I won't have to delete the old timer and re set a new one because the ID will likely stay the same? That would be handy if it works like that.
post #36 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 05:24 PM

@lcann25, yes I've had series carry over from 1 season to the next and schedule recordings automatically.
post #37 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 10:12 AM

Survivor might be a bad example

The title of the show changes every year

How I met your mother would record every year though
post #38 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-10, 01:38 AM
Rookie

As far as new customers getting "new max" vs. "old max", I think the difference is how many boxes they are ordering. It appears when SaskTel is giving people multiple modems to satisfy the bandwidth requirements, you're getting old max. This happened to me at the end of September. I called in and dropped my order to just fit onto the bandwidth requirement of 1 modem, and so I convinced them to send an installer out with new max boxes, cuz that's what I ordered. I now have new max, all going through 1 modem, and media room is fantastic.

TV2 client version 2.0.25625.5 (Release)
Platform OS/Version: WinCE/5.0.1400

Just a reminder: If you have multiple modems to satisfy bandwidth requirements, the multi-room feature WILL NOT WORK. Get your services evaluated to fit onto 1 modem if you want multi-room to work. (Unless... maybe SaskTel will find a way to bridge two modems together to allow the boxes to network together on two modems... but I highly doubt that)
post #39 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-10, 11:09 AM

The programmed bandwidth is dependent on your distance from the dslam.
has nothing to do with new/old max

the only possible difference is that new max takes slightly less bandwidth, so they might be able to squeek it into 1 modem, rather than needing the 2nd

the benefit as you mentioned is that you can do whole house pvr with every stb, rather than having 1 stb "isolated" from the rest

workarounds are ongoing, but nothing really concrete there to report on

I just want to re-iterate tho

even with 2 modem, multiroom WILL WORK, you just can't have STB on 1 modem, talk to STB on another modem

but they'll put as many STB on just 1 of the modem (and HS on the other) as possible.
post #40 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 11:36 AM
Rookie

Anyone switched from Bell to New Max? How's the picture quality comparison? My mom still has old max and in comparison to Bell, the quality is not good. I'd like to switch, but if picture quality does not improve, won't be doing so.
post #41 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 02:16 PM

HD would be basically identical (some is sourced from bell)

old max, the SD would have been inferior

new max, SD looks very very good (ie, on SD channels that are in letterbox format, if you stretch it, it looks very close to HD. really impressive)
post #42 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 09:04 PM
Rookie

Hey guys, I'm out in Vancouver.

After being with Shaw with what seemed like a lifetime I switched to Telus IPTV about six months ago which uses Mediaroom.

I understand that SaskTel is in the process of upgrading to Mediaroom.

I've been using Telus IPTV for 6 month now and I can tell you that if your experience is anything like mine.

You guys are really gonna like Mediaroom.
post #43 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 11:47 PM
Rookie

Icann25:

I made the switch from Expressvu to Max last week. Had enough of the fade outs and their "outstanding" customer service. Just canceled Saturday as a matter of fact. Anyone interested in some hardware?

To answer your question regarding picture quality... the HD is just as good but SD is not as good just as someone else has mentioned.

Sasktel's menu system (old menus) is inferior to Bell's but I'm starting to like the programing and the On Demand programming. I would say that I have no regrets making the switch.
I did have reservations doing it before because of issues I have heard they have had and was concerned about picture quality. I think pretty much all the bugs are worked out now. The upcoming upgrade to Media Room with it's benefits put the final nail in the coffin for Bell.

Anyone hear if Sasktel will be enabling Max to work on computers and the Xbox like Telus service does?
post #44 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 12:29 AM

it's coming, no details
post #45 of 175 (permalink) Old 2010-10-27, 01:00 AM

Anyone in Regina with this service yet?

I don't understand the pace of the upgrades at all. You'd think that they would want to show that they've moved out of the 90s with their technology.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in