connect vip12xx to monitor (not tv) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

connect vip12xx to monitor (not tv)

Anyone connecting their stb to a monitor, rather than a tv? I picked up a hdmi-->dvi cable and thought it would just be plug'n'play, but it's not. The lcd monitor (a modern lg 23' widescreen) displays an 'out of range' error.

Anyone found a way around this? My research indicates it's likely to do with the source refresh rate being incompatible, but I'm hoping for a way around it. I have no need for both a monitor and tv in that room atm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 04:39 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The DVI on the monitor may be DVI-A (analogue), while the DVI signal out of most STBs is digital (DVI-D via HDMI). Incompatible.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-30, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

The monitor is labelled as dvi-d.

What I'm trying to do (I think) is either force the stb to output at 60hz, or force my monitor to accept a 50hz output.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 02:38 AM

have you considered sticking a capture card in your PC and connecting them that way? that'd then allow you to use a PVR software (media center in vista/win7) or sagetv, or mythtv etc to view tv
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-03-31, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thought about it, but as I understand it the only option would be the hdpvr from hauppage, and an ir blaster. Alhough I might get there eventually (I'm also working on accessing the content directly through vlc and multicast, and bypassing my stb, with some success), this is a simpler question.

It had never occurred to me that a monitor with a dvi-d port might somehow be incompable with various video sources like a stb using dvi-d or hdmi out. I'm hoping there's a simplish solution I've just missed thus far.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-04-03, 01:10 PM

for what it's worth, I've been using a HD-PVR for several months now, and after the initial fight to get it going, it's been fantastic

many many moons ago when Max was new, it was very easy to get straight capture into a PC

now you need to do a little bit of trickery

easiest way is to do it (and undetectable at far end) is to leave the STB on the same switch as your PC, and use VLC to join the stream that the STB is pulling

You still need to use the STB to make all the channel changes, but it works 100%, and is undetectable from the far end

it still involves an IR blaster, but no tuner required

Last edited by 57; 2010-04-03 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Language.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Can you tell/pm me more, please? I had success previously cloning the mac address and accessing the udp stream, but I'm having difficulties with that now. If I understand you correctly, I could tune into the stb using the original remote (why would I need an ir blaster?), and then just direct vlc to the appropriate stream? But a switch is required? Or do you mean just another port on saktel's router?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 04:12 PM

cloning mac address isn't enough. there's other hardward signatures that the system looks at to verify that a networked device has clearance to join the multicast streams

the IR blaster would be to auto change channels on the STB from your PC, but if you want to do it manually, you definitely can

and yes, you could just use another port on the 2wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in