Pace Aspen TDC776D to be introduced - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 11:24 PM
Veteran

The Pace boxes stretch the menu. I agree it looks distorted but AFAIK there is no way to unstretch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 01:11 AM

Yes the setting of both the TV and the box are set to 16:9
post #78 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 02:03 PM

set your tv to 4:3 while on a standard def channel. that worked for me.

post #79 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-18, 05:02 PM

Digik9, apologies for the delay getting back to you, just got back from vacation in Cuba. In answer to your question, everything is working great so far on the Aspen with the external storage gear I picked up from Memory Express. If you did pick up the same gear then I'm guessing it's working ok for you as well by this point?

We're loving the extra space so far and let me know how the Aspen is working for you. Cheers!

James 8-)
post #80 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-19, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Location: BC. Shaw Cable, 42" Samsung DLP, 6416 w/expander & DCX3400
Try setting your 4:3 Overirde to stretch in the User Settings screen (power then menu to access)

Designated Shaw Employee representative for Cable & Digital Cable for Digital Home Forums.
post #81 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-21, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudbren View Post
Digik9, apologies for the delay getting back to you, just got back from vacation in Cuba. In answer to your question, everything is working great so far on the Aspen with the external storage gear I picked up from Memory Express. If you did pick up the same gear then I'm guessing it's working ok for you as well by this point?

We're loving the extra space so far and let me know how the Aspen is working for you. Cheers!

James 8-)
Which external hard drive did you get ?
post #82 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 10:25 AM

I built my own Xanman, check out post 67 http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...0&postcount=67 in this thread for details. Cheers!

James 8-)
post #83 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-22, 10:53 AM

thanks joudbren
post #84 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 12:39 AM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
So far, so bad. I am more than a little disappointed to say I am not at all impressed with the Aspen. After not being able to watch CSI: Miami in HD from Monday night (the recording time bar showed the full 1:01 hour recorded but would not play no matter what I did) the TSR said 'Oh, I know what's wrong. Your box was not configured correcty when it was installed.' He did a reset from the office (the box did a full reload of the firmware from what I could tell by watching the front display) while I was on the phone and asked me to try another recording and to call in if it happend again. That was yesterday.

Guess who I had to call tonight? I was watching CSI and it got to the :27 point and started into a 5 second 'loop'. If I tried to FF it would only jump to the very end. So I called again and set up another appointment for a tech to 'come by and fix it'.

I then tried to watch Grey's Anatomy and, wouldn't you know it, the exact same thing happens, and it's even at the same :27 mark. Very strange. Both of these shows had been recorded at the same time so maybe that had something to do with it? I called Shaw again and asked for a sooner appointment and they are coming tomorrow afternoon. I then tried to watch Private Practice and there is no sound!!! WTF?!? FF or REW does nothing so I can't even check the rest of the program.

I am now watching LA Ink and it seems to have recorded just fine. Oddly enough, it was recorded at the same time as Private Practice so there is no consistency there. All of these were in HD, fwiw.

I hate to say it but I had a bad feeling about letting my Tahoe go as it would at least record what I asked it to without any issues other than the white pixels on the right side of the screen. I can just hear the tech now: 'We can give you a refurbed Moto'. No thanks. I want an expandible PVR that I paid for. Just bring me a stack of them and I will go through them one by one until I find one that works. I won't even send you a bill for being a 'beta tester' while still paying my monthly cable bill.

Mods: Can we get this thread moved over to the HD/PVR sub-forum and made a sticky too? Thanks.
Update: Thanks for the quick move, not enough for a sticky yet? fair enough.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Last edited by Jetranger; 2009-01-23 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Thanks for the move
post #85 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-23, 02:05 PM
Rookie

I was wondering if the 750GB limit is now removed from the Tahoe boxes? The reason I am asking is because the Seagate website is now offering HDD boxes up to 1TB that are 100% compatible with PACE (claims Seagate). http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...nics/showcase/
It also claims to give up to 200 hours of Hi-Def Recording space, which by my calculations would be using all 1TB of space. Can you confirm this new product? Thanks Lindend.
post #86 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Shaw Tech came on Friday and simply swapped out the Aspen that was only about a week old. Of course all my one-time only recordings went with it and I was really not happy but what am I to do? I told him I will be asking for a stack of them to be left if this happens again as I am really tired of being a 'beta tester', This tech explained to me that he has one of these Aspen units and has had no problems at all. I asked how long he has had it and he said it was about 3 months now so apparently I am not the one being the 'beta tester' after all. Yet, how is it that not one single box I have ever bought has worked as it should from the start? Between my girlfriend and I, we have 4 PVRs and all have been replaced multiple times. Most of them are Motos but I have now had multiple copies of all boxes offered by Shaw so it would seem there is a greater problem here.

This technology is not ready for public release. Sure, some might consider it 'good enough' but I sure don't and nor do most of the rest of us here on DHC. Yes, Nanuuk, we all know you are very happy with your experience. Shaw wishes we were all as forgiving as you are when it comes to their services.

As I said previously, I was impressed that Shaw was able to send out a tech the next day and when I told the tech this, he explained that he isn't even a cable tech. He said I can thank the fact there are no current problems with the Internet as that is what he actually does; he's a computer tech. As such, he couldn't answer any of my 'cable' related questions since he doesn't have any of those skills or experience. I thanked him for at least being available to bring me yet another new box.

I will report again on my experience with this Aspen unit but I am certainly not holding my breath.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #87 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2486 View Post
I was wondering if the 750GB limit is now removed from the Tahoe boxes?
The limitation exists in the current Aspen firmware release and also will be in the next firmware update. We are testing a fix for this, but its not made it to a public release yet.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is because the Seagate website is now offering HDD boxes up to 1TB that are 100% compatible with PACE (claims Seagate).
As I posted on the eSATA thread, the drive has indeed been tested/certified with Pace boxes.

Quote:
It also claims to give up to 200 hours of Hi-Def Recording space, which by my calculations would be using all 1TB of space. Can you confirm this new product? Thanks Lindend.
Remember, Seagate is selling a drives with varying capacities (they don't cover STB firmware/bugs issues just as we don't document the USB/eSATA bridge chip issues). Doesn't mean that firmware will necessarily use all of that capacity.

Linden Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #88 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post
Guess who I had to call tonight? I was watching CSI and it got to the :27 point and started into a 5 second 'loop'. If I tried to FF it would only jump to the very end. So I called again and set up another appointment for a tech to 'come by and fix it'.
We've seen one other report of looping but have been unable to replicate. Are there any particular set of steps necessary to replicate this? If not, if you can remember, can you tell me what exactly you were doing before this happened?

Thanks.

Linden Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #89 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 04:41 PM
Veteran

Hi lindend,

Let me start by saying thank you, again, for participating in this forum.

I can't attribute this to anything I did. I have extensive electronic and mechanical troubleshooting experience so I know what you are looking for but I am not able to offer any ideas as nothing comes to light.

The events that lead up to this were: two recordings on HD channels were occurring at the same time so I was watching a third that was recorded (obviously). I had no problem with the recording I was watching. I did pause the recording while I was watching it when the phone rang but this didn't seem to have any effect when I tried it again later. I simply tried to play each of the two recordings in turn and when it reached the 27 minute mark, the 'loop' happened on both of them. I could REW but not FF from that point. No matter how far I went back, both recordings would only play to the exact same scene and then enter the 'loop'.

One thing I did notice was when I tried to show this to the tech who came, the recording would not do the 'loop back' but just skipped to the very end and would not allow viewing of any of the last half hour. I can only attribute that change to the fact that I did delete one of the two recordings as I was getting over 90% capacity used the next day when I was trying to record another program.

I don't know if any of that helps but I simply wasn't able to replicate the same problem, no matter what I tried. FWIW, I am one of the 'lucky people' who seem to get all the 'bad luck' and 'if anything can go wrong, it will'. I don't live 'under a cloud' but have come to accept that the world is not a perfect place and for some reason, I am usually there when things go wrong. As a consequince, I have pretty low expectations but still seem to get dissappointed on a regular basis.

Since that box is no longer in my possession, I can't do any more troubleshooting but if I can ever be of assistance, please just let me know and I will be glad to help in any way I can. This same offer to Shaw has gone unappreciated so I won't be surprised if you don't ask me for anything else either. I know the bigger problem is with their head end equipment but that should not have caused my problems. I'm going to attribute it to a bad hard drive and just keep my fingers crossed that the replacement Aspen will be problem free.

post #90 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-25, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post
The events that lead up to this were: two recordings on HD channels were occurring at the same time so I was watching a third that was recorded (obviously).
Do you remember the channels in question?

Do you remember the time of day when the recording hit 27 minutes (i.e. was it 8:27PM, 9:27 PM etc.)? Note: I'm not asking when you looked at the recording. Rather, the time when the recording took place.

Did anyone else have issues at that exact time?

Tags
aspen , pace , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in