Pace Aspen TDC776D to be introduced - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-04, 06:21 AM

Well, I finally got fed up with my Motorola PVR and bought the new Pace Aspen last night in Edmonton. I just got fed up with the lack of recording space in the Motorola and the last firmware update was the final straw which left me with a heavy green line down the right side of the screen in HD. (yes, tried all the recommended "fixes" for the green line, no joy. This is definitely a Motorola bug)

Ok, so far so good with the Aspen. The unit was noisy when it first started up but after it did its initial handshaking and initialization with Shaw the ticking fan noise went away and it has been whisper quiet so far. Picture quality has been good via HDMI and I have my 1to1 pixel mapping mode back in 1080i. No green line! Yayyy!

I've had "some" issues with a slow response to some remote commands but I don't have the Pace back in its cubby hole yet so I may be getting some IR interference from the LCD TV. I'm also not using the plug in IR receiver yet on the Aspen so not sure if that will help or not.

Also, for those of you earlier with the Firewire questions, it's a moot point as the Aspen does NOT have a firewire port so if you need that then yer out of luck on this model.

Questions for any Aspen experts here:

1. If I plug in the rear IR receiver, does it disable the front IR receiver? Hopefully yes in case I have IR interference from the TV then I can position the remote receiver accordingly.

2. Does the 750GB external drive limit still exist in this model? It's dirt cheap now to go over 1TB so if I can use it, I'll buy it.

3. Is the HD pic quality the same as the Motorola? I'm noticing a very subtle difference in "snap" or crispness in the Aspen via HDMI but to be fair, I also just bought a new 52" LCD to replace my two year old 46" LCD so this may just be a perception problem on my part due to the larger screen.

4. Anyone have any luck getting Shaw to replace their Motorola box under warranty with the Pace box?

Cheers!

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-04, 02:51 PM

James,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudbren View Post
1. If I plug in the rear IR receiver, does it disable the front IR receiver? Hopefully yes in case I have IR interference from the TV then I can position the remote receiver accordingly.
There is an option in the Pace User Settings to enable/disable the front panel I/R receiver if the LCD is generating IR interference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudbren View Post
2. Does the 750GB external drive limit still exist in this model?
Yes, but as with Tahoe, its a software limitation and not a hardware restriction.

Linden Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #63 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-04, 03:58 PM

Thanks Lindend! I left a voicemail today with your tech support in Florida asking these very same questions so if you have any connections to that, please ask them to disregard the callback request. I'll just pick up a 750GB drive then and should be more than enough space. Appreciate the quick feedback! Cheers!

James

post #64 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 05:36 PM
Rookie

I've had the Pace Tahoe for about 2 weeks (replaced my Motorola PVR). Everything seemed fine until the install of an eSATA drive. Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB. I was fully aware of the 750GB software cap. I do not however know if it is truly a problem with the drive or Pace problems coming out. The unit will drop its picture and sounds after 10 seconds. I've also had it restart when trying to pause a program. Also would appear to not be recording a program (when I asked it to), no listing, no indicator lights, but when you try and turn it off it tells you there is a recording in progress. Shaw just sent a Tech out to reformat my Pace harddrive. (Even though the forums are very helpful in telling how to do it). I now just called Shaw, as the tech informed me that it was announced today that the Pace Tahoe will no longer be available once supply runs out. Shaw says that the Pace Aspen is only available in Edmonton and Calgary as a test market. There is no guarantee that there will be mass availability of this unit. I am part of the Vancouver Island area and things may take a while to change here. I just love how an item is discontinued 2 weeks after buying it.
post #65 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyalive View Post
I've had the Pace Tahoe for about 2 weeks (replaced my Motorola PVR). Everything seemed fine until the install of an eSATA drive. Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB.
Does this drive have both USB and eSATA ports? If so, these combo drives have firmware bugs that can cause symptoms like this (video loss after 10 seconds). The officially supported drives only have eSATA ports.

Linden Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #66 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-08, 11:31 PM
Rookie

Yes, USB, Firewire and eSATA. I did read that warning but only after I ordered the drive. I thought I would take a chance. Everything seems fine so far (since the formatting of my Pace). If I still have issues I will take your advice and switch to an eSATA only drive. Thanks.
post #67 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-10, 10:58 AM

Ok, so far so good with the Aspen unit. I was definitely getting interference from my new Toshiba 52" LCD with the Pace remote so I disabled the front IR receiver on the Aspen and plugged in the included external IR receiver. That tucked in nicely under the front bezel of the TV and no more remote issues.

I've added the additional storage using a generic rebranded Vantec Nexstar case ('Velocity' house brand from Memory Express in Edmonton and at least it "looks" like a Vantec case) and a Samsung 1TB drive. All the cables are included with the case. I went with the Samsung drive as I bought one previously and was quite impressed at how quiet the drive was and more importantly, no vibration or resonance. I'm pretty picky about drives that "hum" and the Sammy 1TB is awesome in this respect.

The case is a USB/eSata design but so far no problems with the Aspen. It's working perfectly and as with the Tahoe, it's only formatting for 750GB. No worries though as the Samsung 1TB drive (model HD103UJ) is pretty much the same price as competitors 750GB drives anyway.

I'm still getting audio dropouts though but pretty sure that's a Shaw issue.... sigh.....

All in all, pretty happy with the purchase so far of the Aspen and it seems to be lacking a lot of the problems that I've seen people posting about the Tahoe series so hopefully this one just keeps on working as is. If I ever had to reformat 750GB of potential stored shows and movies I'd probably just snap!

Cheers!

James
post #68 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-12-29, 06:46 PM
Rookie

James: I'm ready to head off to Memory Express and get the same stuff you have. It's almost three weeks since your post, any problems?
post #69 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-10, 05:20 PM

I just spoke to a reseller in Victoria and they said Shaw is not supplying the Pace PVR's anymore in favour of the Moto 3416. Not sure what to think as I personally went through 3 Moto boxes over 4 months before Shaw swapped it out with a new Pace one.

I've seen the white pixels in the top right but not on every HD channel and audio drops are common which leads me to believe it is a Shaw bandwidth issue rather than the box. BTW, had audio drops with all my Moto boxes too.

My parents are planning on buying a new tv and PVR so I guess they'll get the Moto box and keep their fingers crossed.

Also, people complained of fan noise on the Pace, I raised mine with black 5/8" rubber chair tips avilable at any hardware store for a few bucks. The feet on the Pace box fit inside the opening of the chair tip which raised the box over 1" which allows air to cool things off. After several months, it makes no more noise than my previous Moto's.

The feet look similar to this but mine were rubber:
http://www.robertbrooke.com/chairgli...chairtips.html
post #70 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-12, 04:28 PM
Rookie

Pace still in Calgary

I had my wife stop into the Calgary downtown Shaw center this afternoon, and all they were offering for the HD PVR was the Pace Aspen. Rep told her Moto is being used for retail channel, and Shaw outlets would offer the Pace.
post #71 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 02:23 PM
Rookie

MPEG-4

What difference would MPEG-4 capability make in terms of actual TV viewing?

I don't know just what encoding Shaw uses to send down to the PVRs, but I would be surprised if they switch to MPEG-4 for HD broadcasts, and I don't believe the Pace Aspen allows you to stick a 16GB flash USB card on to play home movies?

Is this a theoretical benefit or a real one?
post #72 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 06:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
So, I am now among the 'privileged few' who are Aspen owners. After calling Shaw again (I had called before Xmas and was told a tech would be coming by to swap out my box) to find out what was happening, the rep apologized for the mixup and asked if they could book an appointment for the next day,today. I said sure and wondered what type of box I would get to replace my Tahoe. The tech that arrived early this afternoon had a brand new Pace Aspen under his arm so I guess I don't need to go and buy one now. I do hope I have better luck with this model than the Tahoe.

Mods; should we have an 'Aspen Owners' thread or would that premature given the limited distribution(Edmonton and Calgary only) of this new model?

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Last edited by Jetranger; 2009-01-15 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #73 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-16, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metchosin View Post
What difference would MPEG-4 capability make in terms of actual TV viewing?
Sorry, can't comment on Shaw's plans for MPEG-4 usage. However, its definitely possible to achieve improved PQ with lower bitrates when using MPEG-4 so this is a not a theoretical improvement. That being said, using MPEG-4 does not automatically improve PQ. There are a lot of variables like encoder bitrates etc. to consider.

Also, if all content remains MPEG-2, the MPEG-4 capabilities won't be visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metchosin View Post
I don't believe the Pace Aspen allows you to stick a 16GB flash USB card on to play home movies?
Correct. USB Flash drives are not supported. The only supported expansion option is via the eSATA port and there is a separate thread for that.

post #74 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 06:35 PM

I want to change the guide thing ect, menu

Hi all,

First time poster here.

I just got (after 5 refurbished Motorola 160 GB boxes) a shaw Pace TDC776D DVR 160 GB.

I am not happy with the way the guide is showing.

My old one looked like this
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...e/DSC00392.jpg

(Simulated with the 4:3 setting)

Now it looks like this

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...e/DSC00391.jpg

it is fuzzy, and not as sharp

I want it the way it was, not as stretched out, but in a regular 3:4 format.

Can some one help?

Thank you

Last edited by admin; 2009-01-19 at 12:26 PM. Reason: removed oversized images and left links to images
post #75 of 332 (permalink) Old 2009-01-17, 10:15 PM

it looks like you have the new box tv setting to 16:9?

Tags
aspen , pace , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in