Pace Aspen TDC776D to be introduced - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post
Shouldn't it be on the website like the other consumer boxes are?
Unfortunately, the links to products on the web site is one area that I can't comment on in a public forum or via PM.

Just so its clear to all, I can't comment on unannounced and/or future products and certain other topics. Hope everyone understands these restrictions (remember, I'm not in technical support).

Linden Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 12:06 PM

Any idea when they will be offering these Pace boxes in Vancouver?. I'm in the market for another PVR and not sure if I should wait it out, or just buy another Motorola.
post #48 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-23, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Well...I understand it and I'm sure everyone else does as well. BTW, I have a hard copy manual for this unit but it would be nice if there was a pdf floating around somewhere.

post #49 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-24, 02:47 PM

Quote:
...unannounced and/or future products...
But it has been announced (back in May) and it is a current product that consumers can purchase now. I get suspicous of any company that is trying to sell a product through a third party, but doesn't seem to have any trace of the product on its own website. I am sure it's probably a great product and all, but why would Pace keep this so low key? For Pace to depend on "compton.net" to publish specs and images seems really odd.

Also, I see they have changed the styling from the previous retro look, but now it sort of reminds of the original Zune, sort of boxy and meaty. Is it available in brown?

Anyway this sounds like a rant now and I didn't intend that. I guess I'm not entirely impressed with where the industry has got to with the whole HD PVR thing. IMHO they are still too expensive, and don't live up to their potential quality in both the user interface and image quality.
post #50 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-24, 03:20 PM

My brother just spoke with Shaw about these new boxes, and they told him that they are still carrying both Motorola and Pace boxes and that the customer could not request one or the other to be installed. He was not impressed, as he wanted the Pace box but Shaw couldn't guarantee he would get one.

So you spent $500 on a box but don't know which product you are getting? It doesn't sound right...has anyone else called Shaw to request the new boxes yet?
post #51 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-24, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastbeef View Post
But it has been announced (back in May) and it is a current product that consumers can purchase now.
There were two reasons I listed for why I can't comment on certain topics. Clearly, this is an announced product so that rationale is not applicable. This topic falls into the certain other topics that I can't get into in a public forum.

Quote:
Anyway this sounds like a rant now and I didn't intend that.
I didn't view it as a rant. I just wanted to make sure people understood I wasn't blowing their questions off. I just can't respond to the question in any meaningful way.

Linden Pace Americas, Inc. (note the views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Pace).
post #52 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-24, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My brother just spoke with Shaw about these new boxes, and they told him that they are still carrying both Motorola and Pace boxes and that the customer could not request one or the other to be installed. He was not impressed, as he wanted the Pace box but Shaw couldn't guarantee he would get one.

So you spent $500 on a box but don't know which product you are getting? It doesn't sound right...has anyone else called Shaw to request the new boxes yet?
try going directly to the Shaw Retail , he may actually be able to purchase the Pace box instead, as opposed to having it delivered
post #53 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-24, 11:46 PM

I did this successfully. Went down to the Shaw retail location on Barlow Trail in Calgary. They had them in stock ... bought it and went home.

ihdtv
post #54 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 08:48 AM

Quote:
but doesn't seem to have any trace of the product on its own website.
The user manual for the TDC776D is now available here.

post #55 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 11:55 AM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
AWESOME!

Thanks lindend,

That's just what we have all been looking for. It's interesting that the 'Aspen' name isn't included like some of the others. For those who are confused, you are looking for the TDC776D which is seemingly called the 'Aspen'.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #56 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 03:02 PM

Thanks lindend,
I see it has an ethernet port! I suppose the cable companies will make sure this is disabled
post #57 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 03:54 PM

What is that supposed to do anyways? I know you can hook it up to a modem, but what for?
post #58 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-25, 08:00 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
There have been several boxes with the 'ethernet' port on them, including both Pace and Moto. The STBs have a built in DOCSIS Modem and theoretically you could access the internet from that port. When I asked a Shaw 'SuperTech' about it one day, he explained that they are having enough problems with the High Def data stream that they had no intention of complicating matters by enabling the DOCSIS in the STBs.

Perhaps, one day, in a far,far away land, a STB with all of it's included ports, jacks, inputs/outputs and wizbang features will be made available to the general public. I just hope I live long enough to see that day.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #59 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-26, 01:40 PM

Oh, that day could be "Dec 21, 2012" as hinted by Mayan calendar

DCT6412 P3 F/W:16.74, Shaw/WD Expander
post #60 of 332 (permalink) Old 2008-11-26, 05:06 PM

Has anyone been able to swap their 6412/6416 that's still under warranty with a pace model?

Tags
aspen , pace , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in