Shaw BlueCurve TV Hardware Information - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 72 (permalink) Old 2019-08-23, 05:06 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi6_ View Post
1. Does anyone know how to access this installers menu on this new box? I’m hoping there is a hidden volume setting in there.

2. Or have any idea how to increase the volume output of the 4K Wireless Blue Sky box?
1. This is the diagnostics (passive) menu and doesn't have anything that can be changed (like volume).

2. Some boxes have audio settings for Narrow, Normal, Wide. The Narrow setting is usually a bit louder but also decreases the dynamic range.

3. Most AVRs can be balanced for volume via the input on the AVR. If you have a half decent AVR it should be possible to adjust (increase) the volume for the particular problem input. Check the operating manual for your AVR.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 (permalink) Old 2019-08-24, 02:30 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I found the diagnostics setting and as you said it doesn’t let you adjust anything just shows information. As for #2, I couldn’t find any audio compression settings like some of the past Shaw Motorola boxes had. I can adjust this on my receiver but found it made no noticeable difference.

As for #3 I know how to increase the audio input volume (my Pioneer receiver lets me adjust it +/- 12 dB). The problem is that the Netflix and YouTube apps (run through the Arris Xi6 box) are already much louder than the tv channel volume. So adding volume to the input just makes Netflix/YouTube run even louder.

I guess I’ll just live with it as is and crank it up as needed when watching cable.
post #63 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 01:06 PM

Hi All, I used to roam these forums back in the day when I had a DCT6412. Moved on to a 3400 and eventually a Gateway system.

Last week I upgraded to the Bluecurve system with the wireless portals.

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I have three initial questions for anyone that has experience with this system.

First, I can't find any info on the capacity of the cloud based pvr. I think it's 500GB (and not expandable at this time), but it doesn't seem to be posted anywhere on Shaw's website. Coming from my expanded Gateway, I initially thought this might prove to be a challenge, but with all the "On Demand" options it's probably okay. You don't need to record as much, at least as far as most regular network stuff.

This leads to my second question relating to the On Demand offerings. Does anyone know how reliable they are? For example, we've been watching a show on History called Kings of Pain. On Demand has episodes 1, 2, 3, and 5. Why not 4? If the On Demand system is going to be unreliable then we will have to record everything and the PVR limit will become an issue.

Lastly, I've been unable to get my Harmony Hub to connect to the Xi6-A box. Harmony doesn't have them in the catalog of devices at all, but I was able to find two options, one is Roger's Ignite and the other is Comcast. I tried those and neither work. The next step would be to make the Harmony learn all the signals, but that seems like a great deal of work, and I'm not even sure the Xi6-A responds to IR signals? Its only been a couple days and we will probably keep using the Shaw remote anyways because of the voice activated system, but I must tinker.

Thanks!
Nanuuk likes this.

post #64 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the post. I assume you lost all of your Gateway recordings. Did you subscribe to a new BlueCurve TV package? I had posted on the Shaw Support site on the question of whether you could retain your existing package (in my case a grandfathered Popular Tv plan) and the answer was yes. So I'm curious as to what route you took. Thanks in advance.
post #65 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 02:59 PM

@spitoon I set up a Harmony remote for someone else a couple of years ago using the BlueCurve wired STBs. I'm pretty sure the codes are the same for the wireless boxes, but I can't remember what I used. They use the Shaw remote and Harmony interchangeably.

Keep in mind that the content owner sets the length of time that On Demand is available. Some programs are only available for a few weeks and others may not be available on demand at all. You should also be aware that Cloud recordings automatically expire after 1 year.
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articl...-pvr/ta-p/5289
post #66 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk View Post
Thanks for the post. I assume you lost all of your Gateway recordings. Did you subscribe to a new BlueCurve TV package? I had posted on the Shaw Support site on the question of whether you could retain your existing package (in my case a grandfathered Popular Tv plan) and the answer was yes. So I'm curious as to what route you took. Thanks in advance.
It is a new Bluecurve package called the "Total TV" plan. Seems to have most of what we watch. We did lose everything on the gateway. My kids had a "Gateway marathon" on the weekend to watch what was important 🙂. From what I understand the two systems can't operate simultaneously. Mainly because they are on a different billing system?
post #67 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
@spitoon I set up a Harmony remote for someone else a couple of years ago using the BlueCurve wired STBs. I'm pretty sure the codes are the same for the wireless boxes, but I can't remember what I used. They use the Shaw remote and Harmony interchangeably
Interesting. None of the buttons worked at all, although the hub did appear to be sending signals. I will continue to tinker.

Thanks for the input.
post #68 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 03:20 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon View Post
Lastly, I've been unable to get my Harmony Hub to connect to the Xi6-A box. Harmony doesn't have them in the catalog of devices at all, but I was able to find two options, one is Roger's Ignite and the other is Comcast.
Rogers Ignite or Comcast Xfinity should work. Lots of people on Rogers have set up their Harmony remotes. Some people with the Harmony Hub have had to position it very close to (touching?) the box.

post #69 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 03:28 PM

I could probably look this up, but do you happen to know how the Xi6 box receives its signals? WiFi? RF? IR?

Last edited by 57; Today at 03:32 PM. Reason: UQR
post #70 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 03:31 PM

I believe it can be RF from the (Rogers) remote since the box can be hidden away. However, it also receives IR since that's what most of the Harmony remotes send. Many people find the (Rogers) remote useful due to the voice commands for searches, or skipping 3 minutes, etc., so the number of people using Harmony is not that high.

post #71 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 05:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Last week I upgraded to the Bluecurve system with the wireless portals.
I have never viewed the Bluecurve as an upgrade from the Gateway

Quote:
we will have to record everything and the PVR limit will become an issue.
For precisely this reason.

What was it about the Bluecurve that made you feel it was an 'upgrade'?
post #72 of 72 (permalink) Old Today, 05:43 PM

I used a Harmony 650, so I didn't have those issues with the hub. After I thought about it, I think I used the model from the physical label on the PVR - I think it might have been Shaw AX014AN, The model number on the STBs wasn't in the Harmony database, but the PVR code worked for those as well.

The Shaw voice remotes work on RF, but the Shaw boxes supposedly have IR enabled by default as well. The place I set up use whichever remote is handy. They like the Harmony because they have a lot of other devices and they keep both remotes handy.

If the Shaw box doesn't respond to the Harmony, try this thread:
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-discus...mode/td-p/3059

Tags
bluesky box , bluesky portal , x1gv3 rdk , xid , xr11 remote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in