Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable 4K Discussions

41K views 81 replies 27 participants last post by  dm_4u 
#1 ·
Does anyone known if & when shaw will release a 4K PVR

#66 ·
Based on what has been reported for Bell and Rogers, TSN really only has one 4K channel - you can see the schedule here: TSN 4K Broadcast Schedule - TSN.ca

Technically, there is a TSN4K2, presumably for overflow, but nobody other than Bell seems to carry it and it hasn't had anything on it for a very long time.

I don't know where the blackout for regional games takes place, if TSN does that or if the TV provider is responsible.

#69 ·
Not sure if any of you have watched the 4K channels from Sportsnet or TSN, because if you had, you wouldn't be questioning why people want more 4K channels.
Although they say that they only show 4K programming on rare occasions, the picture quality on all those 4K channels is exceptional ALL the time.
We get TSN3 in Manitoba and last night's Jet's game had far better picture quality on TSN4K than on TSN3.
The same goes for all the 4K channels...the pq is always significantly better.
Also, there is no charge for the 4K channels with SHAW...if you subscribe to the HD/SD channel and the 4K channel becomes available, then you have it automatically added.

#71 ·
The difference is pretty obvious...everything is much clearer...if you can't see it I feel bad for you...everyone I've had in can clearly see the difference while flipping back and forth from HD to 4K channels...even when it's not really showing a 4K program.

#73 ·
Well I'll choose to believe my eyes while enjoying whatever I'm watching.
You can read all you want about TV's, Receivers and Speakers...but IMHO, until you actually watch the TV's and listen to the Receivers and Speakers...you can't make an informed decision because everyone sees and hears things differently.

#74 ·
Hi Gang,

I just renewed my "Value Plan" yesterday for another 2 years, and I'm wondering, as we rapidly approach September, what 4K programming Shaw Cable transmits these days.

We have one 4K TV and the 3 others are 1080P. We are still running a Gateway system, and to get 4K programming we'd have to move to Blue Curve. Shaw is sending me a new Modem (with a bump from 300 Mbps to 500 Mbps) but I've put off on going to Blue Curve until I see what 4K TV shows are available. The wireless aspect of it doesn't thrill me either as hard wired "anything" has proven to be more reliable and consistent. But I know the Gateway gear is getting aged and will eventually need replacement. I do have a spare PVR and set-top unit spare that I got cheap ages ago for a song - so I can keep this going for a while.

Do you know of a list of 4K programming currently available from Shaw Cable?

Thanks for the assist.

#76 ·
Other than Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ and Amazon Prime, there isn't much else and all those you can get outside of Shaw Cable. The only stuff worth watching is TSN and Sportsnet. I think Stingray has a few ambiance channels (Not sure if Shaw carries them). Nothing else is 4K.

Honestly, wireless technology has come a long way over the past decade. I believe Shaw has WiFI 6 compatible modems these days for their Blue Curve product line. A good WiFi 6 mesh network is going to provide fast reliable internet for most users. I had the Rogers Ignite TV service for a number of years and never had an issue with any of the portals.

#77 ·
Be aware that although there may be several 4K channels, not very many of the programmes on them are actual 4K, rather they are upconverts. TSN 4K only shows actual 4K programming, but it's only about 1-2 programme per week or so... See link below:

Sportsnet has the Jays home games in 4K and some other programming, but again, very little actual 4K.

Rogers Ignite has two Stingray channels in 4K and Love Nature in 4K, the latter being excellent for quality, but again, probably a significant portion is upconverts.

Here's a thread on 4K sports:

HD programming shown on a 4K channel may be marginally better than what's visible on the HD channel since the upconversion is done by the broadcaster instead of the TV. Be aware the the difference between 4K and HD is nowhere near as significant as the difference between SD and HD was.

As mentioned previously, some of the apps have additional 4K content, like NetFlix (if you pay for it), YouTube, Disney+, etc.

#79 ·
Thanks for all the input gents. It seems outside of streaming services we already have separately on Apps I almost never use (Netflix, YouTube, Disney+ and Amazon Prime, Crave), it boils down to a bit of Sports programming. I like CFL, NFL, and NHL stuff but to make my Misses jump to Blue Curve from Gateway; will take something in it for her. She's not into TV Sports at all.

Our 75" 2021 QN85A Neo 4K Smart QLED TV is the only 4K TV and it does upconvert HD Sports (quite well by the way); so I'll just have to leave it that way until Shaw Cable pumps out more 4K programming, or the Gateway boxes fail.

(By the way, I already use the Shaw Modem in Bridge mode as I've got a very decent Asus Wi-Fi 6 Router that gets good reception throughout out 3 story house. I plan to do the same with the new modem. They shipped it late yesterday and Purolator is supposed to deliver it today. Amazing.)

#80 ·
It's not up to Shaw Cable to pump out more 4K programming, it's up to the broadcasters to provide it and sadly the only broadcasts providing 4K channels are TSN and Sportsnet. I doubt you will ever see any network broadcast anything in 4K. Even the Superbowl isn't.

As for true 4K programming, TSN broadcasts anything that involves Toronto/Ottawa/Hamilton/Winnipeg games, but nothing else. Sportsnet is only Toronto based teams, and only home games.

#81 ·
@mark_42 of course Shaw can't transmit what doesn't exist. The lack of 4K broadcasts is probably one of the main reasons folks haven't turned to 4K TVs in droves. (Never mind the new 8K units.) We got a 4K TV only when one of our HD TVs died. And that was primarily because I wanted to try out a 4K Blu-ray player I'd bought as a bargain a couple years before, and to see what 4K TV Sports would look like.

Unfortunately, both TSN & Sportsnet don't broadcast anything in 4K I've noticed from out here by the Pacific Ocean. As normal with the Toronto Sports Network I guess, but I was surprised the home games of the Canucks, Oilers, and Flames aren't always in 4K. They say "conventional" TV is dying, and failing on this point isn't helping them grow viewership. IMHO, they need to source and transmit more 4K programming

PS: I have the new modem up and running perfectly at agreed to speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.