What do YOU do to record an episode only once? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

What do YOU do to record an episode only once?

Hey everybody,
I know there are several ways to record a program with repeating episodes throughout the week ONLY ONCE, but I'd like to hear if anyone has any better / easier ideas than I do.

For example, let's say I want to record a program like "Rescue Me". There are a few problems...
1) Often (for many programs) there is no episode information specifically for that episode ... for example the episode information will say "Gritty Fire Fighter drama set in New York ..." which is the exact same every week, instead of an episode title like "Cowboy" or "Blackout"
2) For many programs it rarely states "New" or "Repeat"
3) For many programs like "Rescue Me" or "Weeds" or "Californication" etc. a BRAND NEW episode is called a "Repeat" because it originally aired a week or two ago in the USA.
4) If you set a series recording for 'Only New Episodes' you may get none OR multiple, if you set "New and Repeats" you could get MANY of the same episode.

I really wish that the guide showed "New" or "Repeat" every time ... Or better yet "Season 6, Episode 4" for example.

At this point I actually have a detailed list of programs listed in an Excel spreadsheet with an Outlook reminder every Sunday to "Set up PVR's for the week" ... Really? There has to be a better way to do this! Keeping track of original air dates and whether or not it's a "Series Recording" etc.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, hints to make this a smoother process?
Let me know what you do ...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 03:18 AM

Nothing you can do if the full descriptions aren't there. In that case I make the PVR tape them all and just delete the ones I've already seen. Chances are pretty good that as long as you're only recording on one channel that they won't show the same episode twice within a short amount of time. A lot easier than looking up every episode and doing a manual schedule for the week...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-10-12, 05:55 PM

Shaw and/or their guide vendor really needs to get their act in order. Correct labeling of New or Repeat for CANADIAN audience and actual correct descriptions of all shows needs to be provided.

The new A28 code release did help a little bit as it keeps track of recently watched (and deleted) shows and will not record them again. Before this code release, if you had a series recording set up for a program that was being shown multiple times and you watched and deleted it, it would re-record that show again.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 08:55 AM

It is possible, but you can set a weekly recording by channel.
I'm not at home to test the steps, but I have done this before.

I've done this to record an OTA program fed through a digital modulator to the Lobby Cam feed on my DCT.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2010-10-13, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
...The new A28 code release did help a little bit as it keeps track of recently watched (and deleted) shows and will not record them again. ...
I can see this becoming a problem, too, depending on the parameters used to determine what has been recorded or deleted. If it uses just the guide description, you might only get one episode recorded if you watch it and then delete it as so many listings do not contain detailed information. Perhaps there is some coded info that does not display in the guide but I can't imagine why it would not be shown if it was there. As previously mentioned, Season and Episode numbers would simplify this immensely.

As for how I record a single episode, I set a timed series recording. This records the same day/channel/time each week. The problem with this is there is still a chance you will miss the show you want if it is preempted and you will get repeats once the new shows have ended, or an entirely different show if it is replaced. Another problem is, if you have a Pace Aspen, you can't delete this type of recording. I set one up to record 'Bullrun' last season and it still records the timeslot I chose, despite not showing up in any list of 'future recordings' or 'series' recordings. I have been told a full reboot will be required to correct this but I would also lose all my other recordings so, for now, I just have to remember to delete that recording each week. I'm hoping this has been solved with the new guide but I'm not holding my breath(as usual).

Tags
episodes , guide , recording , repeats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in