Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2.1 Speaker Sound Issues

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Nighthawk 1 
#1 ·
Well before I go on downloading even more codec packages, I'm hoping someone can help with the following. I recently purchased some desktop Klipsch speakers (left, right and a subwoofer). Things seemed to be working okay initially. I guess in the last week something has knocked everything off kilter. Regardless of whether I play music of movies, the only sound that comes in clear is the background sounds. If its a movie playing, I hear all of the background sounds fine, but the main dialogue sound in the movie is muffled and such a low (bass) volume, I can't make anything out. For music, its the same thing where I seem to get the instruments and background music but not the main part of the singing (if that makes sense). My computer has a realtek high def audio driver (integrated). It uses some realtek software when something is playing. I've made sure my speakers are setup as 2.1. I've tried playing movies in other media players, vlc, media player classic with no luck. I've downloaded FFDshow and the latest Xvid drivers with no help. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
The original problem sounds like a configuration issue. The dialog on 5.1 material (such as movies) is on the center channel. If a 2.1 speaker setup is selected, that is combined with the LF & RF signals. If a 5.1 speaker setup is selected, the dialog is send to the center channel connector which, in your case, has no speaker connected. :eek:

Reinstalling the drivers probably also reset the speaker configuration. I wouldn't get a new sound card in this case. The Realtek chips do a decent job for computer speakers.

#4 ·
I never did figure out what exactly the problem was. I had made sure 2.1 was selected in every setup option I could find. I have a feeling it had to do with the Realtek audio manager. This piece of software allows you to customize things such as virtual room, arena, rock, shower??? settings. I had searched in that to make sure nothing weird was selected, but somehow something got screwed up. If I knew how to uninstall this particular piece I would, unfortunately there isn't a way I know of getting rid of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.