Leaving Cogeco, Complaint and Rant Thread - Page 32 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #466 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-01-06, 10:30 AM
Veteran

It all depends how much bandwidth Carrytel buys. The problem with their service was consistency and the service was brutal in the evenings.
For people who do not do much streaming or gaming this service should be good enough.
If it happens that few people in the house stream and play games in the evening at the same time then you would notice speed drop.
Most of the time I had no issues but once in a while in prime time the speed would drop everyday for a week or so.
VOIP and IPTV was not working properly either so for me the savings were not worth it to keep this service.

I have read reviews on other forums and I think that eventually all of their customers have problems once in a while but for the price a lot of them are willing to put up with those issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-04-07, 08:21 AM
Rookie

Up until this point Cogeco service has not been too bad. But the latest episode makes me wonder if they know what they are doing. I have a Tivo mini box acting up and after contacting tech support, they were to send out a new box. The box never showed up. It appears it was either never sent or the post office lost it, that was really never made clear. So another box was sent, with a remote for the standard HD box not Tivo. Ok..not a big deal. The new box would not activate so another call to tech support. After a long wait while they checked on the box, it turns out that IT dept. entered the box into their system as a full Tivo main box not a mini, and nothing could be done until after the weekend. So for a change in their computers, the box is unusable. I was "assured and guaranteed" that come Monday the box will work. You can understand my skepticism. All of a sudden, Bell Fibe is starting to look more appealing. An update after we see what happens in the following week.
post #468 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-08-09, 03:47 PM
Rookie

OK..bit of a late addendum. They never did get any of the replacements working. Then as a promotion was expiring they were to give me a new promotion, they forgot. I called back and they were to correct that and give me the promotion. They forgot...again. So the good news is that I can cancel anytime without a termination fee and with Bell Fibe now in my neighborhood, in fact on the pole in my neighbor's yard, Bell is looking better. At this point I will save money with Bell, but it's not the money. The aggravation is beyond the ability of anyone's patience.

post #469 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-08-14, 11:32 AM

I left Cogeco because of the bad customer service and because they would not give me a promo renewal. The best price they could offer was a 13% increase. I now have Start.ca for phone and internet and Shaw Direct for TV. And it's cheaper. And the internet is unlimited (vs 175GB I had with Cogeco).
post #470 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-08-28, 08:32 AM

Well my 6 month promotion's are coming to an end on the 30th. Time to deal with customer service & beg for promotional continuation what they can do to keep me as a customer. We will see how much they care (i'm thinking they don't care). With other companies providing good pricing on both TV & Internet right now it won't take me much to move. Point is, the customer shouldn't have to call every 6 months. Pricing is Pricing and the only time an increase should be done is yearly. Don't adjust your pricing to reflect how many customers you are providing services to !
post #471 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 08:44 AM
Rookie

They seem to have taken a huge drop in service and quality since the beginning of the year. We have had numerous internet problems and the tv service has become a joke. Small example, we cannot change any of our channels because their computers seem to think that we do not have cable tv service. And because of that we cannot have a replacement mini tivo box sent out. I spoke to 4 reps over the course of 3 weeks before the problem was escalated to "the back office" for resolution. If not for a termination fee I would have had Bell Fibe installed by now. And that is one example from at least a dozen problems we have endured. I would never recommend Cogeco to anyone who wants to maintain their sanity.
post #472 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-09-17, 08:56 AM

Well I am having problems with the main TiVo box connecting to the Modem keeps saying No Internet code C130. Can't watch any online content (ie Netflix). They actually scheduled me in for a service (get this October 3-5 ! ! !). They must be busy connecting new customers or disconnecting old ones (I think the later). I myself will not disconnect with them because of the termination fee. But come February I most likely will be. Not only is the customer service poor but who likes sitting on a phone for 25 minutes waiting to talk with someone. Drastic change in customer service & TV service.
post #473 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-09-24, 09:23 PM
Rookie

I had a similar problem, where our main Tivo box would not connect to the Internet. After trying multiple times to reset the network in the Tivo menu, I decided to hard wire the Tivo box to our modem with Cat6 cable. Worked like a charm.
post #474 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-09-25, 08:42 AM

After hours on the phone trying to correct the problem, I finally got a smart Tech that fixed the problem in 10 minutes.
My TiVo box is hardwired to the modem with Cat6 cable (always was). The problem was the Mocha was not enabled. I saw this in the modem settings myself but it was greyed out and I had no way to enable it. After telling previous techs this. They insisted that a service call had to be made because of the fact that in some cases the Cat6 cable is locked to the modem and the customer has no way to take it off (a special key is needed). I did not require this cable to be removed, my mocha only had to be enabled at their end. After he did this all has been working well after it took approx 3 hours for my TV Guide to update itself. Definately training is needed with the Techs on their end.
post #475 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-09-29, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJOcean View Post
I had a similar problem, where our main Tivo box would not connect to the Internet. After trying multiple times to reset the network in the Tivo menu, I decided to hard wire the Tivo box to our modem with Cat6 cable. Worked like a charm.
Well...spoke too soon. Lost Internet for almost a whole day and now none of the mini boxes will connect to the main PVR box. I am down to watching tv with rabbit ears. Not wanting to go to Bell but not even Bell has service so bad. I was with Bell some years ago when they were the only service available in the area I lived. They could be frustrating but not nearly so incompetent.
post #476 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-10-03, 07:59 AM

Check to see if your Mocha light (bottom light) is light up on your modem. If not it has become disabled. Call and report it to the tech and advise them that a service call "is not" needed. They are able to enable it at their end.
post #477 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-10-04, 08:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatger View Post
Check to see if your Mocha light (bottom light) is light up on your modem. If not it has become disabled. Call and report it to the tech and advise them that a service call "is not" needed. They are able to enable it at their end.
Ok...a little follow up. The tech came out yesterday and she was very knowledgeable. One of the best techs we have seen yet. She ran a new line from the pole to the house (none of the other techs thought to try that) and she found that noise on the line was caused in the neighborhood somewhere. Evidently other modems have been affected according to her readings. She has requested a crew to come out in the next 2-3 days and find the culprit. Possibly a wiring job done by a homeowner or possibly be unauthorized access of Cogeco's service. Our service is working pretty good now and on top of that Cogeco gave us a decent credit to compensate for our troubles. Hard to complain now since they are trying to correct the problem. Time will tell but for the first time I feel that things might be moving in the right direction.
post #478 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-10-04, 10:28 AM

I believe it is MOCA. the suggestion is a good one.
post #479 of 480 (permalink) Old 2018-10-18, 08:27 AM

Looking for recommendations for a new internet and TV provider in Oakville. Just tired of the poor quality of customer service given by Cogeco. Sad as I've been a loyal customer for almost 30 years.

GEB
post #480 of 480 (permalink) Old 2019-09-01, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of ditching Cogeco after 16 years. I only have cable with them. $99.99/month with taxes, with a HD PVR box. They had been giving me $15/month off for a loyalty discount the last two years, but now they say they can only do $10/month and only if I sign-up for another 24 months. Doesn't seem worth it.

Question. I have cable internet through a third party ISP. When I first signed up for cable internet, it was a clustersuck with the ISP Cannettel coordinating a technician and also Cogeco had a tech come in.

My concern is that if I cancel Cogeco, do they "cut the line" to my house (I am in Oakville) and leave me without internet??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in