Cogeco HD Channels using Built in ATSC/QAM Tuner - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-01-17, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Question

Hi,

A bit more than a year ago I bought myself a LCD HDTV, pretty much for the sole purpose to use with my PS3. I have basic analog cable and I have that connected to the back of my television. I can watch the analog SD channels, but boy they didn't look good. When the weather gets cold they look really bad. However, a few months ago I stumbled across this forum and discovered what the decimal point on my remote control meant, essentially that my TV has a QAM tuner. I've been able to find most digital equivalent's of the channels in the basic analog package (along with a few extra channels) and I've been pretty happy.

I had noticed a few weeks ago that Global was no longer on 83.1 but had moved to 109.1 and this got me wondering if any new channels had become available. So I started poking around the Internet today and Cogeco's wikipedia page said that Global HD was showing clear in Kingston on 102-715. At around 5:45 today I tuned into 102.2 and there it was, 1080i Global National. I was pretty happy until about 3 minutes later when it just stopped. Did I just have bad luck and Cogeco just happened to yank this channel 3 minutes after I discovered it or is this an intermittent signal? Does cold weather affect reception? It hasn't with the 480i digital channels.

Also, when people list QAM frequencies of channels I usually notice stuff like 102-715 however, it seems to be impossible to type that in on my remote. First I only have a decimal point and second the decimal range is anywhere from .1 to sometimes .17. Are things just done differently with Sharp televisions?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-01-29, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
TV picks up digital and analogue channels, tuner card only digital? More details may be helpful - which channels you're getting on one vs the other?
57:

As an example, TSN (94-59) and CTV newsnet (94-70) are Cogeco digital channels which are received properly by my Samsung TV. These two channels do not appear when scanned by my avermedia tuner card. Is there a trick to making the avermedia tune them in ?
post #78 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 09:09 PM
Rookie

I also have a Samsung TV with QAM receiver it picked up the free preview channels last month but I do not have them for this month. Does anyone know this months free preview channel numbers for Windsor?

post #79 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-03-26, 11:12 PM
Rookie

Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100 QAM tuner compatible?

Hi,
I live in Asbestos Qc and my cable provider is Cogeco, Qc

My TV set is a Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100, this TV is suposed to have a build-in NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner. But some channel like PBS (33) and Discovery channel (34) are not available.

Recently i receive from Cogeco a PACE DC50X converter. This converter give me all channel i actually receive includind PBS and Discovery channel plus some more new, like TAC channel.

My question is :
Why is my Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100, is not capable to tune-in with PBS and Discovery channel ?
post #80 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-03-26, 11:37 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
If you're tuning the other channels mentioned in this thread, then my guess would be that Cogeco is encrypting those channels in your area. If you take the time to read through this thread you'll find that the unencrypted channels vary by location.

The other possibility is that those channels are weak and not being tuned, or there is a filter on your line blocking certain signals. It used to be that filters were only there to block analogue signals, however many providers now have filters that do more.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #81 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-03-28, 01:20 PM

Is your area turning to all digital (hence the reason why you now have a DTA?

If so, channels might have already been removed from the analog feed...

Or are you talking OTA tune-in?
post #82 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 10:40 PM
Rookie

After reading more carefully, i realize that my situation is like "bobmckenzie123". Since i'm still on basic analog cable signal (NTSC), without the DC50x converter, my TV set just pick up NTSC analog with some SD 480i low res channel.

"Ratatosk" also have a good point, in my area we are in progress to switch from analog to numeric, but Cogeco will keep a "basic" analog service with channel 2 throuigh 23 at lower price, and offer the option to use a converter to regain access to all previous channel at higher price (good for them

I will try to clarify my question,
My Sony Bravia KDL-40S4100 have a build-in NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner
The Pace DC50Xu is a DTA ! Wright ?

If i switch to full numeric cable, is my TV set will tune the same channel the Pace converter did ?
post #83 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-04-17, 03:01 AM
Veteran

QAM cable tuner on COGECO - give it a try.

Found out recently, if you get a TV, or box receiver, with a good, combined Analog Cable tuner, and QAM Cable tuner, that on Cogeco Kingston, there are some digital TV services over cable that are not encrypted / not scrambled / viewable "in the clear".

ie. Cogeco Kingston has some/quite a few un-scrambled QAM digital channels that you can view - with your own equipment.

Not sure how long those QAM channels will remain - cable co. can scramble/encrypt at any time. Or move around all over the place on QAM ...

But while they're available ... nice to watch.

Maybe it's like a promotion or something.

Maybe that's going to be the new way to deliver un-scrambled / un-encrypted content / channels to the customer. QAM rather than Analog.

Gave it a shot last few times in Kingston, and not bad viewing.

TV took 15-20 minutes for the TV to do the full combined analog and QAM cable "SCAN", but once done ... there were around 70 or so QAM channels with funny numbers.

I had to go through them afterwards, and make a hard copy "list" on paper - as a sort of guide.

Various channels, a few HD ones, lots of SD ones, and a bunch of music only and radio station channels, re-broadcast via cable.

O.K. - much better content ... while it lasts ...

But why the heck does COGECO Kingston not mention this to it's Customers ?

I guess they'd rather sell / rent COGECO HD boxes and subscriptions.

Maybe they don't anticipate offering these free digital services for very long.

Straight forward suggestion:
( Anyone out there in Cogeco Territory, other cities - Hook up a QAM Cable tuner, do a cable scan - and see what comes up )

Last edited by 57; 2011-04-17 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread, read earlier posts.
post #84 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-04-28, 06:16 PM

***Panasonic Digital Tuner***

Did a scan today & got 143 Digital channels.

Cogeco finally turned off all analog channels today above 28,so that's probably why there is now a lot more digital channels.
post #85 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-05-17, 08:56 PM
Veteran

Cogeco Kingston - some QAM changes recently.

Back in Kingston - as usual, on occasion over the past couple of weeks ...

Noticed a few of the COGECO Kingston Clear QAM Cable channels gone or moved around.

So I did a QAM re-scan.

Yes - seems to be true.

A few of the HD channels previously available in Kingston, free and un-encrypted via QAM - seem to be gone now.

Some QAM channels are moved around too.

Seem to be some recent changes on COGECO Kingston's Clear / free / unencrypted QAM lineup.
post #86 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 09:39 PM

HD channels without HD box?

So I have the Digital Basic HD package and it states it will only work on one outlet.

Well, I hooked up my TV downstairs (Sammy 51" 3D plasma) and low and behold, it picks up channels. Not only some, but a TON of them, more than I even signed up for (i.e. Discovery channel, TLC, etc.)

My question is, is there any way to pick up the HD channels without using the box? Or is it something that gets decoded on this side of the handshake?

Last edited by 57; 2011-08-08 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread, please read earlier posts
post #87 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-08-09, 09:49 AM
Veteran

one outlet means your allowed one STB on your account. they can limit how many stb's you can register on your account
post #88 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 01:14 AM

Not sure if this has ever been addressed here (but here goes):

QAM tuners can only pick-up one band (or designated 'allotment')
of the QAM bandwidth.

HD channels require at least two QAM 'allotments' - per broadcast.

That is why the video portion is usually visibly - but not the audio.
[That is why 'Free Preview' HD channels - lack the audio portion.]

Just A "Need To Know" Thought Here.

post #89 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 05:34 PM

Not my favourite channel but Sun News is in HD on 103-447.
post #90 of 149 (permalink) Old 2011-11-27, 03:54 AM
Rookie

Cogeco Qam In Kingston Ontario

61.2 CogecoOD Preview
82.2 T&E (Travel & Escape)
82.3 SNP
82.5 Sportsnet 590
83.1 One
87.1 AEHD
115.1 Teletoon Retro (106 On Cablebox)

This was Picked up on Avermedia Bravo Hybrid PCI-e QAM Tuner Card, sucks i can't get the music channels but Oh Well. ...getting harder and harder to find channels other than analog for a pc Tuner (if you have a radio tuner that can receive digital, Galaxie Channels are there)

Last edited by 57; 2011-11-27 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Posts consolidated.

Tags
2013 , cogeco , dtv tuner , hd channels , qam channels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in