Cogeco internet modems - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
Cogeco internet modems

I'm thinking of dropping Bell Internet because Fibe [although on my street!!] might not be installed in this house for years!

Cogeco [Kingston] offers great speed at decent prices. If you know of any caveats please mention them.

I'd like to know what modems are being installed by this company so I can do some research.

I'll be dropping my Bell Sat TV service [+internet] and going with an Apple TV 4K in the new year.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 01:38 PM
Veteran

One benefit with Cogeco over Bell is they provide IPv6. I have no idea why Bell is so behind the times on this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Location: Kingston, ON - Bell ES 9241, Onkyo TX808, Oppo93, AppleTV3, Vizio 55", PSB & Yamaha speakers for 7:1
IPv6?

Does that add possibilty of better security?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2018-11-30, 04:57 PM
Veteran

^^^^
In some ways. Given the unbelievably huge address space, target scanning isn't feasible. Also, IPv6 uses "privacy addresses" in which the address used for outgoing connections changes daily. Incoming connections, such as for servers, remain constant. There are other enhancements that reduced the risk of attacks. For example, with ICMPv6, it's actually possible to limit a message to a single hop, blocking any that come from further out. This blocks a lot of attacks. However, the main benefit of IPv6 is the huge number of addresses available. On Cogeco, you'll get an address block with a minimum of 18.4 billion, billion addresses, all to yourself. On Rogers, I get 256x that. This means I can have blocks for VLANs, subnets and more. Each device capable of IPv6 gets its own public address, compared to using NAT to share a single address on IPv4.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in