Closed Captioning Issue - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Angry Closed Captioning Issue

My wife is hearing impaired and needs closed captioning if she is going to enjoy/watch a channel. For the past several months there has been NO captioning on Headline News Channels 809 or the Standard Definition 34. I have spoken to Cogeco's support personnel without result. I have now raised the issue with the CRTC. As a result of that complaint I received a call from the "Office of the President" on August 8 advising that someone would contact me in the next few days. I am still waiting. I have also called the Office of the President twice in the last week and had to leave a message requesting a call back. Again without result. I have again contacted the CRTC and hope that this will bring a response from Cogeco. There certainly does not appear to be any desire on Cogeco's part to provide a decent level of customer support or loyalty. While I've been a faithful subscriber since 1989 I think that it's time to look at my other options as I've reached the end of my patience.

GEB

Last edited by 57; 2018-09-10 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Large space deleted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-09-10, 06:56 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I just checked HLNHD quickly on Rogers and the CC works fine. We also use CC occasionally as my wife is hard of hearing and we often use it on programming that has thick accents, like the British/Irish/Scottish series, etc.

I assume you've enabled CC on the box and not on the TV as the box must do the CC? I also assume that you get CC on other channels? Sometimes it takes a few seconds for the CC to start, but again I assume you've waited that long?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2018-09-11, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

We have CC permanently enabled on all our STBs (four) and have waited for up to 30 minutes without any captions. The issue seems to rest at Cogeco's doorstep.

GEB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in