Schedule Recording via Internet - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-05, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Schedule Recording via Internet

It appears that the ability to schedule new recordings through My Account or the Android app is no longer working. Does anyone know if Cogeco will be fixing this? I tried contacting customer service, but the wait time to speak to an agent was too long.

I would like to set up some of the new fall shows on my Pace PVR, but the start date for most of them is too far out right now to use the program guide, and I will be out of the country for the next few weeks.

I know switching to TIVO would help, but I don't want to go that route for various reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-07, 02:18 PM

Cogeco has grandfathered the Pace terminals and only actively supports the TiVO system. Sunsetting the mobile app was one step towards this process. However, you can achieve what you ask via the Tivo app. Is there something about TiVO that you do not care for?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-07, 03:47 PM
Veteran

It may be related to a patent lawsuit in the US. TiVo has a patent on setting recording using the internet and they sued Comcast over it. Comcast lost and had to disable the feature on their equipment. Now it looks like it's affecting Canadian cable companies as well. The ruling may extend to Canada due to copyright treaties with the US or, the feature may have been disabled due to pressure from TiVo or US companies that supply equipment to Canadian cable companies.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadoxInsanity View Post
Cogeco has grandfathered the Pace terminals and only actively supports the TiVO system. Sunsetting the mobile app was one step towards this process. However, you can achieve what you ask via the Tivo app. Is there something about TiVO that you do not care for?
Nothing against TIVO, I just don't want to rely on Cogeco's router, or have to reconfigure mine to play nicely with theirs. My router (Google wifi) gives me excellent coverage throughout my house and has allowed me to connect several smart home devices.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 02:24 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally434 View Post
I just don't want to rely on Cogeco's router, or have to reconfigure mine to play nicely with theirs.
You shouldn't have to rely on their router. You simply place it into bridge mode, so that it works only as a modem and use your router as before plugged directly into the "modem".

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
You shouldn't have to rely on their router. You simply place it into bridge mode, so that it works only as a modem and use your router as before plugged directly into the "modem".
I guess I have been mis-reading some past posts.

Right now I have a Cogeco wired modem with my own router connected to it, as well as my telephone land line. Are you saying that if I switch from my Pace PVR to TIVO, none of this will change? I know it involves a service call to make the switch, but the new PVR and minis would use the same wiring as my Pace PVR and HD receivers?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 07:37 PM

@wally434 , your current setup is unnecessarily complicated. Cogeco's modems are also routers, so there's no need for additional hardware. Assuming you are utilizing Cogeco's digital phone, yes, a service call will be necessary to swap out your Pace and action the Tivo (and any minis you may order). You should be able to negotiate the elimination of the call fee if you reach Loyalty. That said, there should be no need to alter your current wiring configuration. (Can I assume this wiring was a DIY effort?)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-08, 08:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@wally434 : To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how things work with Cogeco (I'm with Rogers), however, as far as the internet side of things is concerned, you should be able to bridge their modem/router and utilize your own router, just like before. As far as the TiVo side of things, you may wish to ask that question in the TiVo thread.

You could also call Cogeco to ask them about bridging, internet and TiVo. You should be able to tell if the person you're talking to knows what he's talking about. If not, ask to be escallated to a second level person who can.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-09, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I don't think our current set-up is overly complicated. All of the wiring and hookups were done by Cogeco. I prefer to use my own routers as they give me total home coverage - upstairs/downstairs, inside/outside - and allow me to easily connect all of my devices (2 cellphones, 3 android tablets, 1 smart TV, 1 Apple TV, 2 smart plugs, 1 thermostat, 1 water detector), some requiring 2.4 GHz, others working on 5 GHz.

I realize that I will have to contact Cogeco at some point if I get serious about making the switch, just not looking forward to the wait time on hold and the likelihood of having to escalate in order to get a knowledgeable response.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-09, 12:11 PM
Veteran

If all that's needed is extra coverage, there are lots of ways to do that with extra routers. The Cogeco router could be used as the main router for everything except wifi and the others configured as access points and repeaters.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-09, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
If all that's needed is extra coverage, there are lots of ways to do that with extra routers. The Cogeco router could be used as the main router for everything except wifi and the others configured as access points and repeaters.
Isn't that basically what I have? Telephone, desktop PC and my router connected to the Cogeco modem. I don't know what the big deal about using Cogeco's router - I am using Google's mesh routers - just plug and play and everything works. Why would I want to start using Cogeco's router and have to start dealing with their tech group on more issues?

Back to the original reason for this thread. I want to program my PVR remotely, can't do it anymore for the Pace unit. Thinking of switching to TIVO, and just want to know if there are any issues I might encounter with the rest of my current set-up.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2018-09-09, 10:54 PM
Veteran

It wasn't clear what was being used or how it is set up. Just switching PVRs should not be an issue. They are essentially independent from the internet for watching and recording cable TV. I doubt that any changes would be required for the modem or network. It sounds like the Google Mesh system is capable of automatic configuration and adjusts to work with the existing modem configuration. Extra services such as remotely programming the TiVo or viewing recorded programming remotely would likely use wifi but it shouldn't need anything special.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in