Cogeco introduces IPTV platform - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By wally434

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-08-15, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Cogeco introduces IPTV platform

Cogeco Connexion to introduce next generation Internet protocol television (IPTV) platform

Cogeco Connexion, a subsidiary of Cogeco Communications Inc., is proud to announce that it has entered into an agreement with MediaKind (previously Ericsson Media Solutions) to offer its customers the MediaFirst next generation Internet protocol television (IPTV) platform in Canada. Cogeco Connexion is taking its customers into the future with the introduction of MediaKind's state-of-the-art solution, enhancing their experience with highly customizable video content, wireless receivers, voice activated controls, and access to Android Google Mobile Services for a complete video offering. This evolution toward IPTV will further enhance Cogeco Connexion's TV platform offering, demonstrating the Company's ability to truly listen to and adapt its services to changing market dynamics and customers' needs.

"At Cogeco Connexion, we always make our customers' needs central to our priorities and decision-making process," stated Ken Smithard, President of Cogeco Connexion. "Trends in TV viewing clearly show that operators must always innovate in order to offer a rich and customized customer experience. After careful consideration, we are confident that the MediaFirst IPTV platform is the best vehicle to fulfill our promise to Canadian viewers by offering a cutting-edge technology with personalization features and greater ease of use for the kind of viewing experience our customers want and deserve."

"Once integrated, Cogeco Connexion's new MediaFirst Video Experience will be entirely IPTV-based, voice activated, and will rely entirely on a media-optimized cloud-based TV platform," explained Michel Blais, Vice President, Engineering and Operations, Cogeco Connexion. "We expect to make the service available to customers throughout our footprint by mid-year 2019 and it will then become the standard video experience offered to new customers."

Customers currently enjoying our existing video services, including the advanced TiVo solution, will continue to be offered their current services in the future as MediaFirst will coexist with these video platforms.

"This announcement is great news for Cogeco Connexion and its customers. The introduction of an IPTV solution allows for a transition to a more efficient all-Internet protocol video delivery solution providing Cogeco Connexion with access to a broader video equipment ecosystem," added Luc Noiseux, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology and Strategy Officer, Cogeco Communications Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-08-16, 11:10 AM
Veteran

It's a bout time, good for Cogeco, but they shoulda done this years ago. why wait until now? oh well at least they got the ball rollin'
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-08-16, 03:15 PM

I think Cogeco like the rest, Rogers, SHAW tried to do their own implementation and failed initially.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-12-13, 10:27 AM

Any idea when the service will be made available?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-12-13, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

The press release says "We expect to make the service available to customers throughout our footprint by mid-year 2019 and it will then become the standard video experience offered to new customers."

My guess is that if they aren't already doing employee testing, they will be in the new year. Expect a phased rollout beginning in certain cities in the spring and finishing "mid-year," assuming they follow their schedule.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2018-12-13, 02:00 PM

Cool Interesting coincidence...

I get survey notifications as part of Petro-Canada's Petro-Points program that earn me free points for filling in surveys.

Today I got a notice for one that would be from Cogeco in regards to the new service, asking about features, pricing, options, etc. From the way it was worded it came from Cogeco and talks about TiVo and moving to this platform.

It looks interesting and cheaper than we what pay now and we would get more in return (believe it or not). Of course, this doesn't mean it's written in stone yet but it's going in a good direction.

It may save us as customers when our promo ends in early August. We'll have to wait and see.

Cogeco - Mix 40, Timeshifting, TiVo T6 DVR & 2 Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-03-17, 02:00 PM

Any more news on this??

I recently spoke with both Customer Service & Tech Support on when this might start to be available. Neither had any clue whatsoever what this new service was and had NO details. I actually sent the CS and the TS a copy of the August press release; they thanked me very much as they had not been told anything about this potential new service. This doesn't bode well for an imminent release! I'm waiting to ditch Fibe and rebundle my services with Cogeco for at least some bundled package savings (Bell internet is terrible value and performance!).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-03-17, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Last quarterly update was Jan. 11. The next one is April 10. They probably won't start training front-line workers until the roll-out is ready to begin.

"MediaFirst’s IPTV platform expected to be launched throughout footprint by the end of FY2019" (August 31)

http://corpo.cogeco.com/cca/applicat...esentation.pdf
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-03-29, 09:06 AM

Earlier this month, I DM'ed their twitter helpline and got the following response:

Hey there!

It should be launched very shortly! Last time I heard it should be sometime in the spring!
Dr.Dave and Inglewood like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2019-04-30, 08:12 AM
Rookie

So if you want more info on the set-top box that will be offered, based on this Bluetooth certification https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/59068

Code name UIW4020COG, it will be provided by the French company Technicolor, the model is the "Sapphire", running Android TV 9.0.
It's using a quad-core Broadcom processor, with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage.

This model is already in use in Sweden by Com Hem, as the TV-Hub if you want to check that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in