Missing channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-09, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Missing channels

I have the Motorola DC6400 Phase III STB. I bought this box instead of renting as I got a great price on it. I mention this because the tech said he couldn't swap out the box or work on it as it was not a rental. Anyway, recently I have not been able to access channels 715, 718, 719, 720, 741, 743, 745, 746, 752, 754, 755, 757, and 767. Today, I noticed 753 and 761 are heavily pixelated and look like they are on their last legs.

I called Cogeco service to come have a look and the tech said the feeds seemed okay. I have a history of lesser than good signals coming into my home as I was told we are the last one on the service line/furthest away from where the source is, whatever that means. They installed an amplifier many, many years ago and did put in a new cable underground because of this issue. He mentioned that I'm losing dBs of signal strength because of the physical setup of the cable coming into my home. The tech did a visual of the amp and said it was okay. Trust him, after all what do I know?

So, we sort of came to the conclusion that the STB is the issue. The channels in question are received by other TVs in the house and I tried a STB from another TV as a replacement and it worked fine.

So, is this box done or is there something that can be done to restore its powers? It doesn't owe me anything and has max resolution of 1080i so it is soon to be outdated anyway but I still have a use for it if it can be saved.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-09, 06:54 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Did you purchase this box from someone, rather than Cogeco? If so, did you have it properly authorized on your Cogeco account? If not, then it may still have the channel lineup of the previous owner of the box.

Pixellated channels and channels that do not come in are often caused by a poor signal though, which seems to be intimated in your post and perhaps not properly addressed by the tech. Did you try moving the box to a known working location in the home? This is not a conclusive test since some boxes require more signal than others. If it's an old amp it may be shot, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-09, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi 57
I did buy the box from Best Buy or Future Shop when I bought my TV. That bundling gave me the price I wanted. It was in a Cogeco box and was advertised as such. No issue with Cogeco over these many years of use. Also, these channels were only lost recently so I don't suspect someone else's channel lineup. I did move another box to this location (thinking wiring) and it worked fine. I will move this box to another location and see what happens. Great tip!!

Last edited by 57; 2017-02-09 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-18, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

So I tried the box in another location and the same issues arose with missing channels. Interesting as to why only those specific channels don't come in? Any ideas why and if there is a fix for this? Remember, I am not renting this box and Cogeco tested signals coming in and felt they were okay. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-18, 03:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Perhaps that single box is not properly authorized for those channels on your account? You'll need to call in order to check that. Have them check the signal strength again while you're on the line. Some boxes need more signal than others.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-02-18, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Certainly a possibility but wouldn't it say "unauthorized" or similar? I get the message "...available shortly". Anyway, I'll have to call them because this is the final straw in a long-term issue with the strength of signal. If they can't get a full signal to my house it's time to make a switch. I've let this go on too long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in