Cogeco for FM Radio? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Cogeco for FM Radio?

Hi all.... not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes.

I have a Cogeco RG6 cable running into my house. I am wondering if I can use this cable to help FM reception on my old Sansui receiver. I have read that I could but would need some type of "FM Trap"?? Not really sure what that is or where I could get one these days.

The receiver is located in the basement of my home. I have tried different antennas down there but nothing seems to help. My next step would be to try to run something outside and up the wall. But the Cogeco cable is there so I thought I would ask here first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 09:33 AM

According to this post from 2011, they no longer provide this service: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/66-c...r-cable-2.html
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 03:36 PM

You could use the coax cable to connect to an antenna elsewhere in your house, but you would have to ensure that the coax you are using is NOT in any way connected to Cogeco (whether you have active service with them or not). That would really cause issues. Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be better off running a new cable if that's at all possible.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Reviving a zombie

When I had cable TV I would always split off the feed and connect it to my FM tuner. Most of the time the cable company broadcasts FM radio, and even if not, the wire itself acts as an antenna. If your old tuner only has the 300 ohm input, ie two screw terminals, rather than the coax 75 ohm connector like TVs have, you can buy an impedance matching adapter for a couple of bucks from most hardware stores.

Look for something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/MonkeyJack-Out...QP6NDGGB707084

Only less expensive.

On an old tuner, the easiest FM antenna is a folded dipole, which is just a piece of 300 ohm flat twin lead cut to the right length. You end up with a tee shaped bit of wire that can lie inconspicuously behind the stereo system.
This site has the measurements but no photos:

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-FM-Antenna

This one has a sketch but is using measurements for TV frequencies rather than FM radio:

A cheap and easy TV antenna
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 02:52 PM

I've used a 75ohm connector to my Sony stereo system with a 8" loop of 12 gauge copper wire attached to it. Works amazing - get everything on the FM dial I can in my area with no issues.

I do miss the fact that cable companies no longer broadcast FM signals - it was one of the reasons I cut the cord (along with internet streaming of the same stations). For a time period there from the early 80's to 90's, in an isolated corner of Ontario, it was great to get channels from all over the province instead of the local U.S. channels that dominated where I live.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 03:23 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
I do miss the fact that cable companies no longer broadcast FM signals
Just as an FYI, Rogers has about 25 radio (AM, FM) channels in the 900s via a STB. Most are from Toronto though... Probably channels that Rogers can pick up OTA from their Antenna, which I believe is in Fort Erie (to get Buffalo TV). I now listen to Stingray for commercial free music.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 06:12 PM
Veteran

The digital radio selection is nothing like it was before they abolished the FM signals though. On the system here, they got rid of all the US FM border stations we had for over 30 years and replaced them with Rogers owned stations and other Canadian stations from the GTA. Maybe it didn't change much in the GTA but around here, Rogers has a long standing campaign of trying to turn our local cable systems into a GTA clone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in