Cogeco Channel Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 12:23 AM

Unhappy CHEX switch to CTV

I'm in Cobourg and for several years we've had CHEX Peterborough as our prime CBC-HD channel on 702. For some time it wasn't even in HD, apart from pass-through CBC network programming. The only way to watch CBLT Toronto was on SD channel 5. At the beginning of September 2015, CHEX changed from being a CBC to a CTV affiliate, so now 701 and 702 have identical prime time programming. I've recently discovered, quite by accident, that CBLT-HD Toronto is now available on channel 807.

I have two questions: (1) Why has there not been a peep from Cogeco by either e-mail or snail mail about this major channel change for Canada's English language national network? (2) Why hasn't CBLT-HD been put on Channel 702, as it is in other Cogeco areas, such as Burlington, and CHEX banished to the wilderness of the 800s for the few people who watch local programming in the off-peak?

Has anyone else been missing their fix of Coronation Street in HD, or had any kind of communication from Cogeco about the change?

Another question: I subscribe to Flex Pack News 2, which is supposed to include CP24. That channel has never been available in Cobourg, in either SD or HD, yet it's available in other Cogeco areas, including nearby Peterborough, in Ottawa on Rogers, in Timmins on Eastlink Cable, and nationwide on Bell and Shaw satellite systems. Why can't Cobourg have CP24 when there seems to be so much bandwidth available for multiple shopping channels and minority cable programming? Cobourg and Port Hope have an increasing number of retired former residents of the GTA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 12:28 AM

While I can't speak for Cogeco, I do see other instances where you are left scratching your head about channel placement.

Look at CTV2 in the 800s and PBS Seattle on 810 with all the other Canadian and U.S. broadcast channels being in the low 700s. CTV2's placement seems even more silly now that 705 has opened up. Also, wouldn't 703 CBLFT make more sense with all the other French HD channels in the upper 500s?

As for cable channels, who decided to put Disney Channel SD on 497. I bet a lot of folks were never able to find it until Cogeco said the channel number.

Cogeco is seriously in need a re-alignment but I figure it won't ever happen. Shuffling channels is something that causes many customers to get rather upset, and that would be putting it nicely.

There is only one Shopping channel. The Shopping channel channel in SD shows up 4 times in the IPG but is the exact same feed, on the same physical channel - no extra bandwidth used. Same thing for two Cartoon Networks (2 in SD and 2 in HD) now plus 2 TSN2s (2 in SD and 2 in HD), 2 TSN4s (2 in SD and 2 in HD), 2 MFests (2 in HD) and 2 TMNEncore2 (2 in HD) feeds. Extra stuff to scroll through for no reasons.

As for CP24, I find it odd to have had it in Timmins...of all places but not down here.

Cogeco - Mix 40, Timeshifting, TiVo T6 DVR & 2 Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone

Last edited by denben73; 2015-09-20 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Hit Submit instead of Preview
post #78 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-09-20, 09:40 AM

child labour?

Sounds like Cogeco is hiring a lot of 8-year-olds in knee pants to fill positions of high responsibility and policy.
sailmaker

post #79 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-09-21, 11:45 AM

TVCOGECO, a network in Québec that is now fully HD

TVCOGECO, a division of Cogeco Cable Canada, has just finished converting its network of local TV stations to high definition (HD). As a result, Cogeco's customers can now watch exclusive HD content on both channel 555 and Cogeco On Demand channel 602. The technological upgrade of 15 TVCOGECO stations carried out over the past five years across Québec represents an investment of $5 million.
post #80 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-09-26, 10:02 PM

CPAC in HD ... zzzzzzzzzzzz

Flipping through the guide and noticed channel 815 - CPAC HD.

This channel is a priority apparently.
pooper likes this.

Cogeco - Mix 40, Timeshifting, TiVo T6 DVR & 2 Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone
post #81 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-10-14, 10:31 AM

Has anyone heard whether or not Cogeco is working on bringing in any of the Turner channels (other than CNN) - or are they all still feuding? I still cannot believe nothing is being offered. Perhaps they believe there is no market at all for TCM and Peachtree and just aren't bothering. Also, has anyone heard if anything is happening on the AMC HD front. I would have thought for sure that it would be up by now. Thanks.
post #82 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-10-14, 10:48 AM

The CSRs say "they are working on getting it, and know there is lots of interest for it". That's for AMC HD and TCM.

If we have CNN HD, HLN HD & CNN International, there must have been some kind of progress but why and how they got those and not the other two is strange.

As for AMC HD...I can't help but wonder what AMC wants for it. When we used to watch it, we would often see crawlers along the bottom of the screen about possibly losing the channel for such-and-such customers. They always seem to be in a dispute with someone somewhere.

The last thing of any substance was a message from 2 weeks ago that said, "Cogeco is planning to launch several other HD channels in the near future" in response to the promised then never added Action HD.

We need a Cogeco insider here.

post #83 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-11-17, 12:02 PM

The new Disney Jr. and Disney XD channels are coming to Cogeco on December 1st, according to their respective websites.

Disney Jr. in SD on 498
Disney XD in SD on 499

Disney Jr in HD on 848
Disney XD in HD on 847

I hope this and Fntsy Sports isn't what they meant by "several other HD channels in the near future".

post #84 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-11-17, 01:54 PM

They really do need to think about as restructuring soon. The HD kids channels are now split into 2 sections:

723 - Cartoon Network
724 - ABC Spark
725 - Family Channel
726 - YTV
727 - Teletoon
728 - Family CHRGD

847 - Disney XD
848 - Disney Jr.
849 - Disney Channel
850 - Treehouse
851 - Family Jr.
853 - Nickelodeon
854 - Cartoon Network (again)

...this is a signature...
post #85 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-11-17, 01:59 PM

Disney's SD channels are stuck in between the Super Sports Pack HD channels and the SD French channels.

CTV2 (currently in the 800s, depending on the system) could be moved into 705 but that would make too much sense.

post #86 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 06:40 PM

Further to my post above (top of Page 6), on Sept 20 I sent a query to Cogeco via the website, asking (1) Why Channel 702 is still CHEXD (now a CTV affiliate), and not CBC Toronto (CBLTD); (2) Why we can't get CP24 in Cobourg; and (3) Why they don't keep their customers informed by e-mail of important channel changes, including new channels. Eight days later (not two as promised), I got the usual stock response to (2), no reply to (3) apart from "Check What's New on the website", and to (1) they said "We have replaced CHEX or CKWS with the CBC affiliated channel nearest to your area so you can continue to enjoy CBC programming."

The last is a barefaced lie. It's now two and a half months since CHEX switched to CTV, and it's *still* on 702, with CBC Toronto way up on 807. I fired back a reply pointing this out, and they didn't have the courtesy to respond. I don't often complain about Cogeco, but this response (or lack thereof) illustrates their lack of regard for their paying customers.
post #87 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-11-18, 06:47 PM

Channel numbers don't matter with them, you get the CBC feed so as far as they are concerned...you get it. That's probably how they see it.

I have a feeling their network for the entire province is designed for the whole province, like certain areas see the channel sitting on (for example) 87.2 but not this one, they see 87.3 - like all feeds for Ontario on one network simultaneously if that makes sense. For example, CTV2 is in different channel positions depending on where you are.

post #88 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 09:07 PM
Rookie

Fireplace channel

Finally found the Fireplace channel on Cogeco. Stingray channel 300. Thanks Cogeco.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-12-19 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
post #89 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 11:15 AM

Awesome!
Who needs AMC, when you have the Fireplace Channel?
Andicus likes this.
post #90 of 178 (permalink) Old 2015-12-19, 12:18 PM

I'd take it over CPAC HD.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in