Cogeco Channel Discussion Thread - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-19, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike marshall View Post
We've been watching MSNBC for about a year-and-a-half. A week or so ago, we started getting an hour here/an hour there of MSNBC International during daytime hours. We seem to be missing the first hour of Morning Joe (6A-7A), the 10A-11A hour is now a replay of the Brian Williams 11th Hour show, and the 1PM hour appears to be up for grabs, too, (Today, it was last night's Kasie DC.)

Anybody else running into the same problem? I really don't want to watch CNN.
Any service provider like Cogeco usually just passes through the signal coming from the "broadcaster" (unless it's a simsubbed programme, which I'm assuming this is not). If this is a case of MSNBC changing around their programming, then your beef is with MSNBC, unless there's something weird going on.

You should check the programming listings on MSNBC's site, or other guides? I suggest you contact MSNBC.

Edit: Sometimes this could be a "rights issue" where a certain programme doesn't have rights into Canada and then another programme would be substituted.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-19, 04:55 PM

@mike marshall it sounds like your problems started with the beginning of NBC's broadcast of the Olympics. They used their subsidiary stations for some programs for the Rio Olympics and I've seen some Olympic guide info for CNBC this year. Both CNBC and MSNBC have separate Canadian feeds that they use to handle the situations where they have to substitute alternative programming when the Olympics content is aired.

Things should be back to normal next Monday.
post #168 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-19, 05:12 PM
Rookie

57 said:
Quote:
Any service provider like Cogeco usually just passes through the signal coming from the "broadcaster" (unless it's a simsubbed programme, which I'm assuming this is not). If this is a case of MSNBC changing around their programming, then your beef is with MSNBC, unless there's something weird going on.

You should check the programming listings on MSNBC's site, or other guides? I suggest you contact MSNBC.

Edit: Sometimes this could be a "rights issue" where a certain programme doesn't have rights into Canada and then another programme would be substituted.
Thanks, 57. Just to let you know, I'm a retired career broadcaster (radio), so I've got a bit of a head start on this.

This doesn't appear to be a rights issue. The Cogeco program guide does not match these recent changes on MSNBC.

When a "replay" hour from MSNBC International is substituted for the normal American feed, there is an audible 'aux' mark (beep) that triggers it.
The beep may have a different name, "aux" is what we called it in radio. The "aux" marks were placed at the end of a file (song, spot, jingle) and they fired the next unit. Usually, you don't hear any beeps on MSNBC as they change anchors at the top of each hour.

It's almost like "something weird" is "going on." Somebody, the net or our local Bdu, has done a bad job of setting up their
automation, so they don't need anybody in the room.

The CRTC okayed MSNBC's American feed for Canada, so what's happening is a bit of a surprise, an unwelcome one.

Earlier today, I sent a note to Contact:NBC. Volume of traffic considered, we don't expect a reply.

post #169 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-19, 05:24 PM
Rookie

Dr. Dave said:
Quote:
@mike marshall it sounds like your problems started with the beginning of NBC's broadcast of the Olympics. They used their subsidiary stations for some programs for the Rio Olympics and I've seen some Olympic guide info for CNBC this year. Both CNBC and MSNBC have separate Canadian feeds that they use to handle the situations where they have to substitute alternative programming when the Olympics content is aired.

Things should be back to normal next Monday.
Bingo!

Thanks, Dr. Dave. Makes a lot of sense. Fingers crossed.
post #170 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-27, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Things returned to normal yesterday (Mon 26). Will MSNBC do the same thing during the upcoming Paralympics on NBC? Hope not but I'm guessing 'yes.'
post #171 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-27, 05:00 PM
Rookie

Well, I'm blessed, I guess. About 5-minutes after posting the above 'back to normal' bit, the Nicole Wallace show froze and lost audio. Cogeco says it's a problem with them. It is still down. Ah, the life of a news junkie...
post #172 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-27, 08:35 PM

@mike marshall glad to hear the schedule is back to normal. MSNBC should be safe - only NBC and NBCSN are listed as Paralympic channels. MSNBC wasn't officially listed as an Olympic channel this year, but every other NBC channel was, including CNBC and USA Network, so I put 2 and 2 together and ...

NBC OLYMPICS TO PRESENT 94 HOURS OF PARALYMPIC TELEVISION COVERAGE IN MARCH, NEARLY DOUBLING SOCHI | NBCUniversal
post #173 of 178 (permalink) Old 2018-02-28, 07:38 PM
Rookie

Thanks, Dr. Dave.
post #174 of 178 (permalink) Old 2019-04-09, 04:52 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not but Cogeco added two new HD channels today Stingray Hits on 792 and Stingray Classica on 793.

My box says I don't sub to either channel.

These are probably the first new HD channels in over a year.
post #175 of 178 (permalink) Old 2019-04-12, 08:57 AM

I checked a day after denben73's post and I did not have them either, said I didn't have a subscription. But then I checked again yesterday and they are now both showing up for me. Nice to have a music video channel again.

Are these on free preview or will I always have them?

...this is a signature...
post #176 of 178 (permalink) Old 2019-04-13, 09:04 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. The Hits channel appears to be more of a French video channel at least from what I've seen and Classica...well, not my style of music. They still don't list them on their site or in My Account as an available channel to choose.

Now, just waiting on MLBtv, GSN HD, DTOUR HD, Crime Investigation HD and Canadian timeshifting in HD to be added. I only list those since those are the SD only channels we sub to. There are lots of others still not on Cogeco.

Cogeco - Mix 40, Timeshifting, TiVo T6 DVR & 2 Minis, UltraFibre 360; Rogers - LG G7ThinQ; Koodo - Wireless Home Phone
post #177 of 178 (permalink) Old 2019-04-13, 11:14 AM

Stingray tends to put their video channels on preview when they are added to a provider, but they aren't listed on Cogeco's preview page yet. Bell treats Stingray Hits the same as the other video channels (Retro, Vibe, etc.) and Classica is an individual add-on.
post #178 of 178 (permalink) Old 2019-04-15, 05:33 PM
Rookie

If you have AMC in they MyMix package Cogeco is no longer charging the extra $2.00 a month, but you need to call in and have it changed. They don't do it automatically because they consider it a "grandfathered" package. Also check you Crave package you may be grandfathered in at the $21.99 package instead of the $20. I was at the $21.99 then they took away the Starz channels but never reduced the cost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in